Gransnet forums

Chat

Bring your own picnic.

(89 Posts)
Nanawind Thu 03-May-18 22:37:46

I have just read that the general public, who have been invited to the royal wedding are being asked to bring a picnic. I thought this wedding was to include all walks of life. They were informed that there will not be anywhere to purchase any refreshments. But the 600 toffs who are attending will have a full menu provided including wine etc.
This is proving that even though Harry and Meghan say it's a wedding for everyone it's still them and us.

eazybee Sun 06-May-18 18:38:49

Gillybob, like many people on here I was very glad to hear that your grandchild was safely delivered.

Why do you waste your time being repeatedly bitter and malicious about the Royal Family, (you are, you know) when you have so much joy in your life at present?

Ignore them.

trisher Sun 06-May-18 18:00:43

Cos I thought it was about a picnic!!! A bit disapointed now I was looking forward to a GN picnic (as long as that lot from the Argy weren't organising it!) sad

Magrithea Sun 06-May-18 16:27:45

I saw this and the moans about it in the paper and thought some people will moan about anything! Did people get fed at Will and Kate's wedding? I don't think so! And if you don't like the royals why read a thread about them?? angry

mostlyharmless Sun 06-May-18 11:18:05

Not very glamorous for these wedding “guests” to have to cart around picnic hampers, blankets, (picnic chairs?) and waterproofs all day!

trisher Sun 06-May-18 10:53:55

Why on earth not provide food and drink for everyone? They surely can afford it. Security is going to be a nightmare anyway, but searching through boxes of sandwiches, salads and examining bottles for signs of tampering- "I'm not certain this is really a bottle of Aunt Agatha's Sloe Gin. I will need to taste it to be sure!" not to mention opening picnic blankets, umbrellas and waterproofs, will be impossible. Much easier to have dished out little boxes of something.
Not that I care I'm not watching. I'm busy that day

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 10:07:30

I have more problems with the unelected Bishops of a church that has no affiliation with MY country and rich old boys who have no idea about the real world ,sitting in the "Lords".I would certainly want the whole shebang abolished asap ..and an ELECTED 2nd house put in its place .The whole system stinks .Old men going there to sleep and being paid £300 a DAY to do so.Cheap food and booze while they're there...and thats the ones who dont just sign in and then leave so they get their allowance.
My friends uncle is a "lord" he's happy to boast of his multiple cruises at the expense of the taxpayer and has NEVER spoken in the lords or even taken part in a vote ..but he's delighted to take the money .WHO are the scroungers in this disunited union? Certainly not the folk who are struggling to get by on a pittance .Look at your royals and your folk with made up titles ..gives them a sense of entitlement that "ordinary" folk dont have .

Ginny42 Sun 06-May-18 07:13:37

Allygran1

When people who were once coal miners, ship's stewards, teachers etc sit in the house of Lords, and at a whim, try to stop a democratic process, these are the people that you should be wary of.
What a bitter and unfounded comment. How dare ordinary folk rise above their station?

Sorry to post in that vein when so many people are happy about the wedding, but I had to challenge that comment.

My only other comment on the wedding is...£100,000 for the dress? Looks like she could do to slip her Dad a few bob.

Blinko Sat 05-May-18 12:00:47

To those who have taken some satisfaction in pointing out her family's shortcomings, he is marrying Meghan, not her family!

gillybob Sat 05-May-18 07:42:49

It reminds me of an elimination game/poem we used to say when we were small.

There’s a party on the hill will you come?
Bring your own bread and butter and a nice cream bun

Who is your very best friend?

(Gilly) will be there
with her knickers in the air
Singing OUT spells out .

You then pointed to whoever was out and carried on. smile

OldMeg Sat 05-May-18 07:36:48

Exactly G70s

But it was always thus....remember those who denounced woman who had upset them to the Witchfnder General?

ffinnochio Sat 05-May-18 06:38:48

If I’d been invited, along I’d go with blanket, doorsteps and flasks ... maybe even some fizz ... have a good natter with other invitees and have an interesting time. Simple soul, me.

Grandma70s Sat 05-May-18 06:24:48

People are persisting with their own agenda in spite of the fact that light refreshments snd snacks ARE (I have read) being provided. The wedding is not at a meal time. It will be over by one o’clock. Harry and Megan don’t get a meal until afterwards so I really don’t see why anyone else should expect one.

I find these chip-on-shoulder resentful attitudes most unpleasant, showing the nastier and meaner sides of some people’s natures.

patriciageegee Sat 05-May-18 04:52:01

As a caterer in a previous life, I have to say it's not a massively difficult or vastly expensive undertaking to provide sandwiches and a bit of cake plus tea and coffee for 2000 plus (even with all the dietary requirements nowadays). On Jeremy Vine, an invitee told how it was requested that, along with their own picnic, they also bring something to sit on! And regardless of the status of anyone involved, if you invite someone to a do whether it's by 'golden ticket' or a quick text it's a pretty poor show and against general good manners to not provide at least basic refreshments.

paddyann Sat 05-May-18 00:13:03

you're wrong there quizqueen the GREAT is there because its the largest island of the british isles...nothing to do with royalty,traditions etc.There would still be tourists without Lizzie and co the same as every other republican country has.
The whole wedding thing is a farce ..something the british have always been good at.I particularly enjoyed the Whitehall Farces of the 60's.Though this is proving to outshine Brian Rix and co an dhas potential for entertainment for years to come.Theres the sister who is annoyed about no invite ,the nephew who held a gun at his girlfriends head and numerous dodgy charcters including a cannabis grower .This is about to get really funny...for the family who thought Wallis Simpson was bad news ...lol

gillybob Fri 04-May-18 22:41:18

Exactly grannypauline .

Soniah Fri 04-May-18 22:37:18

For those invited, as opposed to the general public, I hardly see providing a picnic lunch would be difficult, they know who is coming and it would be simple to ask for dietary requirements when they respond as to their attendance. Seems a bit of a cheek to invite them as deserving people then not provide some food and drinks. I did hearvthey would provide some snacks but have no idea what they mean by that

grannypauline Fri 04-May-18 20:23:42

The estimated wealth of the Royal Family is 60 billion pounds. They can well afford a few hampers!

It's nice to wish any couple luck and happiness on their wedding day but please don't send them any presents. They sell them off and then their coffers are even more stuffed!

We give them millions each year so they can have round the clock valets etc so they never have to pick up their dirty clothes or even put toothpaste on the brush! I well remember in the 70s when the Queen received a 9% hike in money from us – and passed it on as a 6% rise to her staff. You can decide what to call this behaviour!

Of course the Queen occasionally gives out Maundy pennies, but this serves to underline the them and us situation that some posters are referring to.

It's not a question of envy or bitterness; it's what we could do with this wealth for those who really need it. And please don't say they bring in tourists, as though tourists never went to France or Germany! We could show off some things we are really proud of to our visitors.

Mypennyfarthing41 Fri 04-May-18 20:01:27

Aligran 1
What a wonderful, observant lady you are. I really cannot add much to your letter. And l totally support you, in all your observations - particularly Megan Markle, lve a nasty feeling in my tum which l hope is nothing, but, as is normally the case, time will tell

lilypollen Fri 04-May-18 18:42:03

The girls will be people watching with champagne and nibbles and the boys are going siling I gather!

Grandmama Fri 04-May-18 18:35:32

The poor man in his castle
The rich man at the gate
The price is two and sixpence
To visit the estate.

(pre-decimalisation!)

ginny Fri 04-May-18 18:29:19

I wish them well but not a great fan of the royal family. Might watch a bit just to see what people are wearing.
Don’t want to intrude too much on this ‘family ‘ wedding. ( 600 guests) !

Chocolatenoodle8 Fri 04-May-18 17:34:07

Harry and Meghan have invited 1200 people to their wedding. People who, “work in their communities helping others”. Surely the Royal couple could provide the picnics?

quizqueen Fri 04-May-18 17:25:34

I'm not necessarily the greatest fan of royalty, particularly all the unnecessary crowd from Andrew downwards, but it sure beats having President Corbin as Head of State because no one is going to want to come as a tourist to this country to see him riding round in a coach. Our British traditions, our ancient buildings and our history is what puts the Great in our name.

William and Harry seem like nice young men who I hope are going to be very happy in their married life. I certainly wouldn't want my life played out in the media every second of the day like them so I don't think there's anything to be envied. I'd rather have my freedom and less money any day.

Marianne1953 Fri 04-May-18 15:10:55

Yes, it’s a farce and I actually find it quite insulting to the general public. I would have never accepted an invitation on those terms.

Allygran1 Fri 04-May-18 14:05:24

This is a family wedding. The only politician I am told is John Major attending, but simply because he was a guardian of both Harry and William after their parents divorce and into the time of their mother death until the boys came of age. He was appointed to oversee their financial concerns and represent them. Other than him, all other guests are their family and friends.

I imagine just like us, Harry's guest's will be fed and watered after the ceremony, and celebrations will begin.

As for the "other" guests, who will be in privilaged viewing spots inside the castle, well if they are wanting to be there to watch, then if they want to eat and drink they should take their own food. They are not real guests.

Also let's stop knocking everything! I am sick of the envy that is engulfing this Country. We cannot all be rich or born into privilege. But we can expect that those who are do us no harm. Equally, we should wish them no harm.

The alternative is something that should be considered seriously. Would you want us all to be equal...whatever that means in reality? What that means is that as it was in communist Russia, every one had a job, an allocated job for life. Everyone had a flat, and depending on your type of job, determined if you had a two roomed (not bedrooms) or one roomed place. Should you have our mother and father living with you and they died, then another two people, who you might not know where housed in the other room. Heating and travel was free, but no one other then the politburo people had cars. No one travelled outside of Russia, no one owned their own home.

Equality rarely means that people move up, redistribution of wealth spread over millions, brings everybody down, it does not rise us up.

Whilst I find the term Prince and Princess or Duke and Duchess etc ridiculous in this 21st century, we can remove titles without removing heads, can't we. We can live side by side with others without envy can't we. We can make the best of our lives can't we. Opportunity, is what I believe is central to a good life. I believe that this country that we seem to hear more winging about with the day, is the best country in the world to live, and bring up children.

The new money elite, and the academic and political elite are the real danger in this country. When people who were once coal miners, ship's stewards, teachers etc sit in the house of Lords, and at a whim, try to stop a democratic process, these are the people that you should be wary of.

When the House of Lords with it's now appointed by Prime Ministers peers, can block the democratic vote then our very democracy is in threat. If you want to get rid of something then start with the House of Lords, most of whom are not hereditary peers, they are ex politicians and civil servants placed there by Prime Ministers who want to that they reward certain people with a life time income and pension, associated with being a Peer. What a scandal.

As for the wedding, I wish them as I would wish anyone all the best for the future, they will need it with all the additional pressures they will have by just being born into royalty. For me, I think Harry is making a big mistake with Megan, but I still wish them all the very best.

Let's get behind things rather than looking at how hard done by we are. Try living in other Countries you will soon be wishing you were back here warts an all.