Gransnet forums

Chat

Sir Alex Ferguson

(24 Posts)
kittylester Sun 06-May-18 08:34:44

Whilst feeling sad for him and for his family, should the fact that he is in intensive care be front page news - he was only a football manager?

Panache Sun 06-May-18 08:37:44

The media has completely lost their perspective on what really is that special news,the kind we all need to hear...... and then this of a compassionate
kind..............so we the public are sometimes left wondering have they gone mad?

Front page stuff about this poor man,no I don`t think so.

Anniebach Sun 06-May-18 08:39:06

If it were a pop singer it would be front page news kitty.

gillybob Sun 06-May-18 08:52:41

Certainly no less front page worthy than say.....someone asking their brother to be their best man.

And Sir Alex is not just any old retired football manager. I wish him well and a full recovery.

kittylester Sun 06-May-18 09:06:30

I'm not sure any of the things mentioned should be front page news

I wish him well, too!

gillybob Sun 06-May-18 09:16:53

No they probably shouldn’t kitty and neither should a sister kissing her baby brother but there we have it .

Baggs Sun 06-May-18 09:35:02

If you were selling a newspaper, you'd do it too. Turn a few pages for meaty stuff. Editorials and leader articles are somewhere in the middle of the good papers and always have been during my newspaper reading years which <does quick sum> now add up to 47 years.

annodomini Sun 06-May-18 09:42:06

only a football manager
kitty - that's tantamount to blasphemy!
Or were you trying to provoke a response?

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 09:53:24

The man is a legend ...even I know that and I dont follow football.Of course his life is big news amongst those who are footie fans .Thats football fans of all teams.Most wish they had a manager that was as successful as Alex Ferguson and even those who lost to his team still have a lot of respect for him.
Of course it does keep other stuff OFF the front page and thats so important...the stuff the government dont want us to see or .As I said I'm not a fan ,but I wish him well and a full recovery ,he has worked his socks off to get where he is so a long retirement in comfort is his due .

ninathenana Sun 06-May-18 09:54:29

There are a few famous people that I admire and feel strongly about but I wouldn't say they warrented front page for sadly being unwell.

Wishing Sir Alex a speedy recovery

Caledonai14 Sun 06-May-18 09:59:49

While I agree that newspapers have gone overboard with this one, Sir Alex is the most successful manager in the history of British football and, therefore, far more newsworthy than some of the so-called celebrities who crop up regularly on the front pages.

If you had been in Aberdeen's Union Street the night the city's football team (manager A. Ferguson) beat Spain's mighty Real Madrid 2-1 to take the European Cup Winners' Cup, you'd know exactly why the term "only a football manager" is inadequate.

merlotgran Sun 06-May-18 10:05:16

I think the picture of Princess Charlotte kissing her baby brother is rather sweet.

I wish Sir Alec Ferguson a speedy recovery.

Daddima Sun 06-May-18 10:05:40

I suppose you’ve to think how many people would be interested in the story, as that’s what sells the papers, and there’s no doubt there’ll be many people wanting to know how he’s doing.

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 11:52:24

merlotgran what would you say about any other family putting their childens photographs all over the media ? I hear constant criticism of young mums for putting their children"at risk" by showing their pictures on media that cant be controlled ...so why no criticism of the royals for USING their children to hook more support ?

kittylester Sun 06-May-18 12:04:14

Like it or not, it's a fact of life that people would be hanging from the trees to try to snap pictures of that particular baby so you can't blame his parents for issuing some themselves.

sunseeker Sun 06-May-18 12:05:00

Thought this was a thread about Sir Alex. not another chance to take a swipe at the RF!

I am not a football fan but just as I would with anyone else, I wish him a speedy recovery

Lynnebo Sun 06-May-18 12:28:57

To be fair, for those of us that have suffered a brain haemorrhage and lived to tell the tale, this is headline news!!!
1 in 10 have an undiagnosed brain aneurism and only a small percentage of those rupture which is why there isn’t a screening program. A third of sub arachnoid haemorrhage sufferers don’t even make it to the hospital and very few come through without life changing side effects. If this raises knowledge and education then it is front page news.
Too many haemorrhages are firstly diagnosed as migraine. More education within the medical profession can save lives.
I am one of the very lucky ones that had all the right people in the right places at the right time ( with the scarey exception of my local hospital who wanted to give me paracetamol until an oncall doctor stepped in!)
Thoughts and prayers to Sir Alex and all others suffering this.

kittylester Sun 06-May-18 12:33:57

My son had a dissecting aneurysm aged just 35 and I am glad to see it in the press but I expect that aspect of it is of little importance to the news industry.

Rufus2 Sun 06-May-18 13:08:50

Thought this was a thread about Sir Alex. not another chance to take a swipe at the RF!
Hear, Hear!
As a Mancunian and a keen football fan, I feel very sad to hear the news. I wish him well. United were excellent in developing local young talent through their school and although that approach has now changed, for commercial reasons with importation of expensive ready-made stars e.g M/c City, his memories will live on. sad
The news made me instantly think of the Munich air disaster of 1958 (60 years ago!) when Matt Busby (later Sir) survived with terrible injuries and most of the team known as Busby Babes were killed.
I remember how we were glued to our TVs watching and cheering on, a completely re-organised team led by Bobby Charlton go on, almost the next day, to compete and win.
Such memories never fade.

Ta-Ra Good Health

Mapleleaf Sun 06-May-18 13:12:57

How have we managed to move on from Alex Ferguson to the royal family?😏

Ilovecheese Sun 06-May-18 13:22:54

He was an incredibly successful football manager until his retirement. Football means such a lot to so many people. (I don't know why it does, but I do know that it does) so yes, it probably does merit front page news.
Like many others, I have also had a relative die from an aneurysm so more publicity for this is also good.

eazybee Sun 06-May-18 18:30:23

I think it is front page news even though I have not the slightest interest in football; Alex Ferguson is a prominent personality and most people will be concerned.

Yes Lynnebo, I too was lucky and survived, despite my local A & E sending me home with paracetamol and codeine for a tension headache. My GP identified a sub arachnoid haemorrhage by asking six pertinent questions; hospital scans confirmed it and I was in hospital for ten days and made a good recovery.

I also enjoyed the pictures of Prince Louis.

Lynnebo Sun 06-May-18 21:11:46

Eazybee flowers x

Iam64 Sun 06-May-18 21:28:47

Sir Alex wasn’t “just a football manager” any more that Monet was just an artist, or Beethoven just a composer. Some peopke are blessed with genius and work incredibly hard in their chosen area. Sir Alex was inspirational. He is much loved and respected in Manchester and throughout the world of football.
A friend aged 74 died a couple of weeks ago, from the type of brain hemorage, she was treated in the hospital where Sir Alex is being cared for.
I wish him well.
On another issue, I liked the photograph of the two youngest Cambridge children. Wanders off, humming a chorus of a Manc Anthem “ always look on the bright side of life... “