Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal wedding obsession!

(235 Posts)
Witzend Tue 15-May-18 08:43:38

There's no getting away from it - they've just been banging on about it on Classic FM, which I'm listening to in the dining room - just went into kitchen for another coffee - Dh in there listening to Radio 4 - and they were on about it, too.

I do wish them happy and I hope the sun shines for them on Saturday, but....
Oh, and tins of Royal Wedding biscuits in M&S!!

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-May-18 23:41:56

They certainly are, Annie. It's sad that people feel the need to act that way.

Anniebach Tue 22-May-18 09:14:33

Personal remarks are just a weapon to drive posters from a thread or even from the forum.

pollyperkins Tue 22-May-18 09:11:05

Agree -I dont agree with every post but it's interestung to read otger's opinions. I do try not to make personal remarks to other posters though. Don't always succeed!blush

Anniebach Tue 22-May-18 09:05:13

good post oldbatty.

oldbatty Tue 22-May-18 08:35:48

blimey folks! One of you liked the unstuffiness of the wedding, one of you prefers traditional style.

I cringed a bit at the Bishop, ill timed and too long. I thought the whole thing was massively stage managed and lacked those little sparks of humanity we enjoy. Compared to the red of Williams uniform, the mens clothes were dull. Thought the dress was slightly dull too. Meghan seemed slightly out of it tbh.

Anyhow those are my thoughts. I dont think its worth being nasty to other people about because lets face it, the Royals dont care do they?

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 22:54:36

My harsh words don't deserve it, * Annie*.

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 22:45:29

It was. I am sorry for my harsh words. But I don't expect forgiveness and I don't ask for it.

Anniebach Mon 21-May-18 22:42:19

My mistake MapleLeaf, I thought your apology was genuine , silly me

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 22:32:15

Annie, I'm not asking for your forgiveness.

Deedaa Sun 20-May-18 18:09:47

I loved the very simple dresses for the bridesmaids and the boys' uniforms looked so much better than the usual white satin monstrosities. I never thought I would say it but Sarah Ferguson looked really elegant.

eazybee Sun 20-May-18 12:45:52

I enjoyed the music for the bride's entry, although I did wonder if the inspiration came from Julie Andrews marching down the aisle in 'Sound of Music.
I wasn't impressed with the commentary from the BBC; far too many virtue -signalling interviews and not nearly enough information about Windsor Castle, St. George's Chapel, the ceremony, the music and the participants. The cameras kept focusing on people who were clearly significant but nobody bothered to explain who they were, and I was tired of endless shots of David Beckham's revolting tattoos, his wife's sulky face, and Amal Clooney showing off.
That said, I enjoyed the wedding.

pollyperkins Sun 20-May-18 10:39:41

Thanks grandma70. Couldnt find the information anywhere. It seemed a strange choice for the entry of the bride though i enjoyed the trumpets.

Grandma70s Sun 20-May-18 10:37:31

pollyperkins, the first piece of music was Handel’s Eternal Source of Light Divine, sung by Elin Manahan Thomas with David Blackadder playing the trumpet. It is one of my favourite pieces of music, but this was unfortunately not a very good performance from the singer, nerves probably. The trumpet was superb, but somehow they never blended.

The counter-tenor Iestyn Davies would have been a better choice of singer.

Anniebach Sun 20-May-18 10:26:12

No PaddyAnn, we are not entitled to our own opinions.

pollyperkins Sun 20-May-18 09:54:58

I agree. Loved the wedding but the endless gushing and speculation before the actual event was irritating. Fortunately as I was out for the day I had recorded it (unfortunately had to record the whole lot on Sky -no other option) so was able to fast forward over most of the preamble.

Loved the ceremony but why did the commentators have to talk over a lot of the music? And we mostly weren't told what they were playing -sometimes there was a very brief strapline line at the bottom in very small writing.
Loved most of the music especially the cellist but not too keen on the singing as she walked up the aisle -who and what was it?
I thought her dress was lovely - simple and elegant -and her mother also.looked very elegant (more so than many of the royals and celebs.)
The sermon was a bit too long I thought. The gospel choir was very very good but not sure about the song 'Stand by me' in a religious ceremony. The choir boys as expected were superb.
Nice to see some black performers and black faces in the congreagation too. Makes a change from traditional all white Royal events on the past. Reflects our modern multi ethnic society. Good for Meghan to beak with teadition and stay true to her roots.

trisher Sun 20-May-18 09:51:36

Bridgeit It isn't cynical- Kate had photos of her sister splashed all over the papers at her wedding Meghan being a media-savvy modern woman, used to the spotlight, wasn't having anything similar at her wedding. It seems quite a good beginning for her-she's in control. (That doesn't mean I think it will last!!)

Blencathra Sun 20-May-18 06:22:21

I got fed up with the while build up and the way it dominated the news. It was a lovely sunny day and we went out for the day. When I did finally watch the highlights I found the while thing lovely. A shame that there was so much beforehand.

paddyann Sun 20-May-18 01:10:17

Its a bit odd to be called out for being anti royal on a thread about the obsession by someone who obviously is sick to death of the whole circus.
Whatever the royalists think the rest of us are entitled to our opinion.If we think royalty is outdated and a waste of space then we have the right to say so.

Eloethan Sun 20-May-18 01:03:12

As a republican, I have no interest whatsoever in the royal family and have never watched a royal wedding. I recall that on Charles' and Diana's wedding day my husband and I were cleaning the car and tidying the front garden. On that day, we saw few passers by on our road and even fewer cars. It seemed like almost everybody was watching the royal wedding. In later years, I came to admire Diana but my feelings regarding the monarchical system have not changed.

I think there has been a great deal of unpleasantness about this particular wedding. While I was taking my dog out the other day I got chatting with a lady who I guess was around 75. She said she was thoroughly sick of hearing about the wedding and thought Harry's bride-to-be was unsuitable because she was "not royal" and her family was pretty disreputable. She did, however, have kind words to say about Kate - how lovely she looked on her wedding day, etc.,etc. I told her I too was sick of all the coverage but said it was really no different from the coverage of all royal weddings and other occasions which, in my opinion, took up so much air time as to deserve the description of "propaganda". I pointed out that Kate too was "not royal" and that, in any event, several members of the royal family, including Charles and Andrew, have not exactly covered themselves in glory (though on ceremonial occasions they are inexplicably both covered in rows of medals) in terms of personal relationships or misuse of their office.

There has been much nastiness directed at Diana in recent years, no doubt in an effort to try to justify Charles' and Camilla's behaviour and marriage. I suspect Meghan will, for different reasons, have equally challenging challenges to those experienced by Diana. I wish her and Harry luck - I suspect they will need it.

callgirl1 Sat 19-May-18 22:38:37

Well, I loved everything about the wedding, I was glued to the TV from 9.20am until 2pm. The American bishop was like a breath of fresh air, if he was preaching regularly, I`d attend church regularly. Loved the dress, the music (oh, the cellist!), and Harry was so emotional. Good luck to them!

Cherrytree59 Sat 19-May-18 22:13:35

rafichagran not sure if you mean me.
I also thought the whole wedding was lovely.??

But times have changed since Diana's wedding.

Day one as a Royal - Meghan is doing things her way even if it breaks with tradition.
She is also very media savvy.
Probably much to Harry's relief.

oldbatty Sat 19-May-18 21:54:41

maybe asking the pontificaters to chant is a bit pontificatey

Bridgeit Sat 19-May-18 21:34:13

Rafichagran , I so totally agree with you.

Annibach, I’m sure & hope you know Mapleleaf never intended you any distress.

Trisher , perhaps a tad cynical

I repeat that saying which every single one of us pontificate on here about other people’s lives perhaps would benifit from chanting a few times.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Were our young selves always so cynical ?or have we really turned into a bunch of Grumpy Old Woman ,seeing the negative in everything as if we know it all & know best.

Baggs Sat 19-May-18 21:29:52

White wedding dresses are a very modern thing anyway.

Baggs Sat 19-May-18 21:29:14

'Rules' like that (made by men, no doubt) are definitely for breaking.