Gransnet forums

Chat

Another scam!

(15 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Thu 17-May-18 09:50:45

Txt message supposedly from DVLA this morning, saying they want to refund me £250, as if, DVLA say do not click on link. What will they think of next!

shysal Thu 17-May-18 09:55:57

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I would fall for this one! smile

harrigran Thu 17-May-18 10:03:40

I think it must be my turn this week for scammers too. I have had two from "TPS" asking me to update my details with card details. Two from ambulance chasers "with reference to the accident that wasn't your fault" and a couple purporting to be from BT saying that they are going to switch off my ISP connection, to get straight through to engineer "press 1". Thankfully no GC were present when the calls came through, I was able to teach the very nice young men called Jack, Bob and Ben a few new words to add to their English vocabulary.

felice Thu 17-May-18 10:21:28

I got a surprise yesterday, Ben from Microsoft called, I calmly explained to him that I do not have an internet connection as I live in my DD and SILs house so he should be talking to them if there is a problem. All true. He apologised for bothering me and wished me good day.
I was gobsmacked, considering the abuse I got from a girl last time.

SpringyChicken Thu 17-May-18 13:59:23

I wouldn’t have given him any true information, felice, whether or not he was polite. It was definitely a scammer and any info you divulge could be used to give a future scam call a ring of truth.

Tessa123 Thu 17-May-18 18:21:10

Beware of the one from supposedly income tax saying they want to refund overpaid tax.

PamelaJ1 Thu 17-May-18 20:44:01

Got one from ‘BT’ the other day.
They were sorry I was leaving and had put things in motion. If I wanted to change my mind just had to click on the link.
Sent the email onto BTs phishing link. They confirmed they hadn’t sent it.
Be careful

jenpax Fri 18-May-18 05:31:19

I am totally fed up with all the various ways people try to scam your hard earned money?
A couple we knew a fair few years ago, fell for a pyramid selling scheme.At the beginning, and as my OH was just recovering from another bout of ill health and wanted to try and contribute again to our finances, he agreed we would attend one of the Company’s introduction to sales talks. It was well done with lots of positive US style “can do” pep talks, praise of the products! and the usual “look at he/she who now drives a Porsche etc!” We spotted the scam, the friends didn’t,and ended up losing their lovely home, all savings, and eventually their marriage!
These days it’s all internet? someone somewhere wants to deposit X in your bank account if you only provide your details! Or ring this premium rate phone number as “you have won a competition”! My favourite is the fake you have been blocked for security reasons from by your bank, my DD got one the other day and called me to ask advice I pointed out it was supposed to come from a bank she wasn’t a customer of!
Rant over, sorry it’s a special soap box for me ?

felice Fri 18-May-18 09:34:40

SC, I live in the Granny flat in my DD and SILs house, the building is a converted Maison de Maistre, Masters house split into apartments. I live in one of 5.
I do not actually live with them, just in their house.
I have reported the calls to the Police here, strangely enough it is only people with British names and landlines who get the calls. My DD has never had a call.
Also few people use phone banking here and you are advised against it so acessing your telephone line would be no good to them.
I have never heard of anyone getting the bank scams here, although I got an email supposedly from the British tax office once which I ignored as I do not pay taxes in the UK.
I have never had any scams through the post although I believe the scammers use overseas posting offices.
I have often wondered why the UK seems to be targeted by scammers in such a big way ?

hildajenniJ Fri 18-May-18 11:04:36

I've just had a message left on my phone, and I'm so glad I answered and not DH. It was supposedly from HMRC. The message said that HMRC are compiling a lawsuit against us, and to press 1 to speak to the case manager. IT IS A SCAM targeting older people (what's new?) so I have deleted the message and will alert DH and all you lovely Gransnetters.

Liz46 Fri 18-May-18 11:19:21

A lady that I used to work with gave her mother a call and her mother told her that 'the police' had phoned to say there was fraud going on at her bank. They asked her to go and withdraw a large amount of money but not to say anything to the staff as they could be involved in the fraud. They would be back in touch with her to say what to do with the money! The daughter said 'don't do anything, I will be right there'.

henetha Fri 18-May-18 11:40:38

I've had several of those Tessa123. As I haven't paid any tax for over 20 years I have ignored them, suspecting they must be a scam.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 19-May-18 15:09:02

The list is endless, isn't it? What really annoys me is that a company the size of Microsoft doesn't have an email address you can use to report suspected scams.

jackie74 Sat 19-May-18 19:56:06

I have been married for 54 years and now retired with both my husband and I having several hobbies to keep us busy but.....We don't seem to have much communication -not just now but long term.
we end up rowing or going into long silences which may last days. He seems to think he does everything for me and has said "I'm always at your beck & call" which is really hurtful because I feel i do everything for him but did not realize what a dragon he makes me out to be. Maybe he's right - i really don't know but is there anyone out there in the same boat or anyone who can give me advice.
I always put on a smile and happy talk in front of family and other people so they don't latch on to what's really going on - but its getting me down now I am older (74) and feel very low and depressed about the whole situation

jenpax Sat 19-May-18 22:02:58

May be try RELATE so you can work out any issues.