Gransnet forums

Chat

Combs

(18 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Mon 21-May-18 19:04:06

Following on from the discussion about hard towels, here's another question about something which may be thought of as being trivial by the serious-minded! How do you clean your combs? I had a friend who used to soak them in water with ammonia and washing-up liquid, but I don't have ammonia. I usually just use soap and a nail brush but would welcome any new ideas.

wildswan16 Mon 21-May-18 19:11:53

Often I will just put my combs and brushes in the basin before washing my hair, and just let the soapy shampoo water run over them at the same time. Then a quick brush with the nailbrush. Can't really see why they would need more than that unless there is a scalp problem such as heavy dandruff.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-May-18 19:19:01

Only use a comb when cutting hair.
Otherwise we use brushes (inc DH).
After cutting I clean comb under hot water and then place in dishwasher.

kathsue Mon 21-May-18 19:20:08

My husband bought a little gadget once for cleaning combs. It had two brushes that rotated as you ran the comb between them and it shifted any gunge between the teeth. Of course, after you'd cleaned the comb you had to clean the gadget as well hmm.
I think people have much cleaner hair these days and a quick brush with soap and a nailbrush is all that is needed.

DanniRae Mon 21-May-18 19:22:14

No ammonia for my combs and brushes just hot soapy water and a nail brush for the comb (as has already been said) and I usually wash two brushes at the time so I can use one to clean the other IYSWIM?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 21-May-18 20:49:10

Thank you all. Nice to hear that I'm not alone with my nail brush!

fiorentina51 Mon 21-May-18 20:59:13

Soapy water and a nail brush.

BlueBelle Mon 21-May-18 21:00:24

Never use a comb just blow dry with my fingers fluffing it up

Auntieflo Mon 21-May-18 21:24:48

Another nail brush and soap user here. I thought that was how everybody cleaned their combs grin

Mapleleaf Mon 21-May-18 21:44:12

Nail brush and soap here, too. ?

mumofmadboys Mon 21-May-18 23:05:57

I used to use soap and a nailbrush. Recently on holiday in India, our combs got really dirty. I soaked them overnight in a bowl of water and washing powder and next day they were clean. No effort required!! Converted now

Nelliemoser Tue 22-May-18 07:28:42

I only use a big comb with wide teeth which are easy to clean.
However my collection of combs tend to run off and hide, then after a few days reappear in large numbers. I wonder if they are off partying. They seem to congregate in my car.

MawBroon Tue 22-May-18 07:41:33

I haven’t used a comb in years!
Hairbrush and fingers for me. blush

pollyperkins Tue 22-May-18 07:44:38

Soap and nailbrush here too. I fin d my hairbrush more difficult to clean!

shysal Tue 22-May-18 09:31:33

Soapy water and nail brush for me too. Some of you never use a comb, well I never use a brush. They make my greasy wavy hair go fuzzy! I only use a wide toothed shower comb or an afro.

Elegran Tue 22-May-18 09:59:24

Surely a comb or brush doesn't need any stronger cleaner than your hair does? Unless you neglect it for ages and it gets really manky.

Witzend Tue 22-May-18 10:15:04

Soap and nail brush.
Ditto for my hairbrushes.
Also do Dh's comb, since he never seems to. He doesn't use a brush, not enough hair left!

HeyTheree Thu 12-Sep-19 10:53:48

I have a few combs and hairbrushes. Obviously I clean them every day because I have long and curly hair and every time I brush it gets messy. I clean it as Monica advised:
- remove hair
- shampoo the brush
- clean the dirt with a toothbrush
- leave a brush on a towel with bristles faced down.
Done.