Gransnet forums

Chat

Nostalgia

(22 Posts)
oldbatty Sun 27-May-18 16:24:13

Macon? Why, is it raining?

lemongrove Sun 27-May-18 16:18:14

Bel I also liked Bob Monkhouse, his autobiography was really interesting as well, a clever man.
I like some stand up ( most of it now goes on too long)
Jack Dee ( another good autobiography) and some of Billy Connelly’s stuff, and Bill Bailey.
Have to say, I could never even smile at any any Victoria Wood ( stand up) or the sit coms, but thought she was an excellent serious actor in the few things she was in .

Besstwishes Sun 27-May-18 16:15:59

pheonix ?

phoenix Sun 27-May-18 16:14:09

"One of my boyfriends had a sex manual. Trouble was, he was dyslexic. There we were, in bed, and he was looking for my vinegar."

M0nica Sun 27-May-18 16:07:18

Victoria Wood, fine in a sitcom. But as i do not like stand-up. I never really heard her do anything else. My only exception has been Dave Allen but then I am part Irish and a catholic.

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 14:57:37

Another of my favourites was Bob Monkhouse, not many celebrity deaths get to me but I was upset at his passing.

'When I first said I wanted to be a comedian, everybody laughed. They're not laughing now.'

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 14:50:53

So I rang up a local building firm, I said 'I want a skip outside my house.' He said 'I'm not stopping you.'

grin

Besstwishes Sun 27-May-18 14:02:34

I didn’t realise it was a joke, I thought it was a serious piece about Ken Dodd, hence my comment.

But don’t despair, it’s taken one male friend nearly 30 years to make me laugh, he says I’m difficult, I told him it wouldn’t be difficult if he was funny.

phoenix Sun 27-May-18 13:55:35

M0nica you say you have never found stand up comedy funny, what about Victoria Wood? Not so much telling jokes, more sort of observational stuff.

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 13:50:11

'Tonight when you get home, put a handful of ice cubes down your wife’s nightie and say: ‘There’s the chest freezer you always wanted.’

grin

rockgran Sun 27-May-18 13:45:35

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be! grin

M0nica Sun 27-May-18 13:38:14

I can see what the joke is but just do not find it funny. I also know qhite a lot about the Lady Smith after whom the town was named.

I have never found stand up comedy funny. The point of standing up and telling endless jokes has always elude me. I much prefer wit, that is humour in a context, to humour. Oscar Wilde, Jeeves & Wooster, Blackadder. Now they make me laugh.

lemongrove Sun 27-May-18 13:22:35

grin
I liked Tommy Cooper.

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 13:19:05

Is it just me that doesn't find a lot of modern comedians all that funny or even funny at all?

KEn Dodd was wonderful and so was Tommy Cooper.

“I said to the gym instructor: ‘Can you teach me to do the splits?’ He said: ‘How flexible are you?’ I said: ‘I can’t make Tuesdays’.”

MawBroon Sun 27-May-18 13:10:38

Not the Gnetters who are humourless, Rufus, the “joke” hmm

Rufus2 Sun 27-May-18 13:08:45

Sorry mcem and Besstwishes for inadvertently misleading you. sad
The joke wasn't mine at all! I should have used quotation marks to exonerate myself from any blame.

It belonged to Sir Ken himself and used in his repertoire. The " This England" magazine simply published it as part of its special tribute.

I found it humorous and thought I'd pass it on verbatim to lighten your day.

Obviously it served yet again to highlight the dangers associated with trying to convey humour over the Internet when you can't read my body-language or see the mischevous twinkle in my eyes. smile

So; I'll press on regardless believing that love and humour help to make the world go round. grin

I really think we need a Forum devoted to "Humour".
It seems to be sadly lacking elsewhere. sad

Humourless Netters could then avoid being distressed by not looking there. grin

Ta-Ra and Good Health

hildajenniJ Sun 27-May-18 12:53:06

grin

Ha ha Rufus

Besstwishes Sun 27-May-18 09:00:20

For heavens sake...

mcem Sun 27-May-18 08:52:20

No Rufus. Just no!

OldMeg Sun 27-May-18 07:53:28

???

Bellanonna Sun 27-May-18 07:22:34

confused

Rufus2 Sun 27-May-18 06:33:27

The Summer 2018 edition of that excellent magazine, "This England" carries a tribute to "The Squire of Knotty Ash", Sir Ken Dodd.

Apparently he came from a very old military family.

His Great-Grandfather had a lot to do with the relief of Ladysmith.
In fact she invited him back the following night! grin

Ta-Ra and Good Health