Gransnet forums

Chat

Those royals wasting money again

(270 Posts)
gillybob Tue 12-Jun-18 21:48:55

Sorry to those royal worshipers but Eddie has apparently just paid (well technically he paid nothing) £37,000 to fly 130 mile in a private jet from Poole to Tamworth when the train would have cost a mere fraction (first class of course) .

I know his time is more precious than most other people’s time, okay so he’s got a wife and family to get home to and an elderly mum needing his care...... but really ?

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 12:20:26

You are sure gilly? 100% sure you know this or a guess ?

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 12:27:43

I find some people loathsome too and like you Annie it doesn’t mean I hate them. I’ve said it before ... I don’t hate anyone.

I did hate someone once . But he’s long gone .

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 12:29:08

Knowing how they court good publicity I’m pretty sure Annie wink

trisher Fri 15-Jun-18 12:30:30

Oh I have studied the scriptures Annie and have good knowledge of religion particularly the Church of England. I actually like some of the language once used. I just reject the concept of blood sacrifice. It does amuse me that the only defence someone can use is 'You are an atheist, so you can't criticise me".

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 12:53:31

Pretty sure is a guess gilly, just a guess based on your loathing of queenie. My guess is she does donate to charities through a third person, if it was publicised you would be on the attack because of her choice of charities and some charities would be hurt , understandably, if they were not included .

Suppose queenie gave to Battersea dogs home but not to Shelter, dog lovers may be pleased, others angry she put dogs before the homeless.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 12:57:27

Whatever you say Annie

DeeWBW Fri 15-Jun-18 13:11:33

Agree to disagree, please.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 13:16:57

My grandad had a habit of upsetting my grandma ( often for the most trivial of reasons) . I hated them falling out so I used to make my grandad apologise.

His way around it was to say “ Bridget , darling , I’m sorry if your sorry “

Talk about red rag to a bull grin

DeeWBW Fri 15-Jun-18 13:23:25

As my husband often says, when we are at loggerheads - "My fault, your mistake." It has such a nice feel about it, that it works every time.

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 13:37:57

?

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 14:52:43

Charles and Camilla are in N.I. Today

Eloethan Fri 15-Jun-18 15:10:43

feel intense dislike or disgust for.
"she loathed him on sight"
synonyms: hate · detest · abhor · despise · abominate · dislike greatly · execrate · have a strong aversion to · feel repugnance towards · not be able to bear · not be able to stand · shrink from

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 17:19:58

Feeling repugnance for is not hate, i can consider actions by a person to be repugnant but doesn’t mean I hate her / him.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 18:07:25

Isn’t this thread getting out of hand/rather personal?
Anniebach’s faith is nobody’s business but her own and if it has sustained her through the tragedy of this last year, who is to deride it?
Defining loathing/hatred etc just seems like nitpicking and we all know it is possible to love the person but hate the deed.
If the RF really warrants further discussion so be it but we seem to be a long way away from that topic.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:21:20

MB really? Not that you’d ever partake in such behavioir would you? Oh the irony.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 18:24:23

Lay off the insults please maryEliza not necessary and irrelevant.
And frankly, my dear.... (complete the quotation for yourself.)

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 18:38:38

I’m sorry to be coming back to this thread when I thought it had been put to bed . Of course somone couldn’t resist defining the word “loathsome” just to stir the pot, but I feel like you are being very one sided and unfair to MaryEliza, Maw . I agree Annies faith is no-ones business but her own, as is my lack of it . Maybe if you read the last few pages of this thread you will see that it takes two sides to make an argument. Annie and I have different views . I have NEVER questioned or citisized Annie’s faith and I know she’s had one hell of a horrible year I can’t begin to even imagine how she has got through. Who are you to accuse anyone of deriding that faith?

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 18:46:36

I wasn’t accusing you Gillybob I just felt others were weighing in and the turn the thread has taken seemed in poor taste.
We can all agree to differ on the RF (and clearly do!) and there will be many shades of opinion. No problem with that.
I’m out.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:46:30

It's curious that anyone who doesn't join the RF knocking group is referred to as fawning, or 'worshipping at their feet'. Nope, not at all so far as I'm concerned and I haven't seen other posters doing that.
Me neither Iam64 - and I am 100% certain that if we sent the RF into retirement and had an elected Head of State, it would cost twice as much and the electorate would be grumbling even more.

There are concerns about the costs of security surrounding the RF and the royal wedding security costs - security was there to protect the public too.
When The Donald comes on his State Visit - I suppose there will be no grumbles about the security costs for that because he is an elected Head of State, therefore that's all OK. smile

I think they do a difficult and probably, at times, boring job and there must be a demand for their presence at events of all kinds, otherwise royals such as Edward, Anne etc would not be so busy.

As for 'costing the taxpayer so much' - there is a budget, decided by Parliament, and they have to work within that. Expensive flights would have to come out of that budget which means less money in the pot for another royal duty.
It is a finite, not limitless, amount

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:49:07

Also I agree the family should be slimmed down -there are far too many.
Are you suggesting a 'cull'? pollyperkins?
We're not funding everyone who was on the balcony.

That balcony does worry me somewhat, it seems very low and presumably it is checked for weight limits from time to time .....

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:51:05

I wonder if the queen ever stops to think that those people waving flags and curtsying at her feet might be struggling to make ends meet? I shouldn’t imagine she does. Why would she ? Do the royals have a conscience ?
sorry, but that is just ridiculour gillybob

paddyann Fri 15-Jun-18 22:17:12

Of course she neither knows or cares about folk struggling ,she's only interested in the cash that keeps the coffers topped up so her ever increasing brood can be kept in the livestyle WE'VE been paying for for centuries .
And no I'm NOT jealous,I've never been jealous of anyone in my life.
I just believe its a medieval concept unfit for the 21st century .It SHOULD die when Lizzie does ,sadly the mainly English public like having someone who they think is their superior so no doubt it'll keep on keeping on until all the generations in waiting have had their share of joe publics money so another 100 years of unjust privilege for them ...at least.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 22:25:57

Why ridiculous Jalima ? A perfectly good question ? A wondering ?

I agree paddyann I doubt her maj or her family would lose any sleep over the food banks , the homeless or the poverty in the UK . Why should they ? Does it even really exist ?

Anniebach Fri 15-Jun-18 22:32:04

Why should they? Why should you or any of us, you seem sure this family have no compassion and are greedy for more money .

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 22:45:40

Because unlike me and mine they have the ultimate privilege of being given money from the public purse that they do not earn. . They choose how much tax they are willing to pay . Why does her maj invest her money in dodgy off shore financial deals if not to accumulate more for her already overflowing pockets ?

We should all consider those who are poorer and less unfortunate than ourselves. Sadly I am but in the position of doing much but I do try my best.