Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do when World Cup is on.

(67 Posts)
suzied Wed 13-Jun-18 05:57:09

Will you be watching? Not me - I’ll be binge watching something on Netflix, dressmaking, going to the theatre or some other diversionary tactic. I’d like to go to a remote Scottish/ Italian/Greek Island with no TV or newspapers but that’s unlikely.

gillybob Thu 14-Jun-18 17:56:30

5-0 what an opening game ! ⚽️ ?

gillybob Thu 14-Jun-18 17:47:54

Well compared with Saudi Arabia anyway .

gillybob Thu 14-Jun-18 17:47:06

Enjoying watching the opening game with DGS (8) Russia playing brilliantly .

muffinthemoo Thu 14-Jun-18 11:05:02

Watch every game!!

Steh auf, wenn du für Deutschland bist, steh auf...

Hm999 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:53:02

I will enjoy sitting down with daughter watching England play. Won't bother watching other matches until it gets beyond the group stage. If England don't get beyond group stage then probably won't watch any more unless there are players from Premiership involved. I love watching sport. I wanted to go and see the Women's Cricket One Day International match, but everyone I watch live sport with was at work! I could've gone on my own but it's not nearly as much fun.

Allegretto Thu 14-Jun-18 10:09:34

Sodapop, I love Grey’s Anatomy and I too am waiting eagerly for Season 14. I’m not interested in football and neither is my DH. We are more likely to be out in the garden than watching TV (unless Grey’s Anatomy is on, in which case DH will be gardening alone).

Izabella Thu 14-Jun-18 09:42:15

I don't think our tv has been on for several weeks now, and I did not realise there was a World Cup pending. I am truly blessed anyway as OH never watches sport on tv. Today is the first time I have actually managed to get round to catching up on GN too for ages.

sodapop Thu 14-Jun-18 08:26:00

lollee I've not read about Diana Gabaldon's new book yet, I agree they are among the few books I can read more than once.
I'm hoping the 14th series of Grey's Anatomy will be available soon as well to help me through the sports season.

MawBroon Thu 14-Jun-18 08:00:34

gringrin Blinko

As football has never featured in our viewing I won’t need to find an alternative occupation.
And if there’s nothing on TV maybe a box set or two.
To the Manor Born, As Time Goes By, The West Wing should see me through smile

Blinko Thu 14-Jun-18 07:52:09

Maryhoffmans37 and Glammagran*, I'd never heard of Engrenages. I did wonder if it was an anagram of Anne of Green Gables.

JustALaugh Wed 13-Jun-18 23:16:17

Luckily my husband isn't bothered about any of it. I'll carry on with my Zumba classes (4 evenings a week), go out as usual on Saturday evening, out with the family on Sunday daytime, and apart from that, I may watch something on Netflix or I'll read

Bathsheba Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:24

If the weather's good I'll be out and about enjoying myself, browsing my favourite shops without DH telling me to 'come on', or sitting having a cuppa overlooking the sea.
On the other hand, if it's raining, I'll be holed up in my dining sewing room enjoying myself at the sewing machine and knitting machine, listening to Amazon music.
Long may the World Cup last! grin

Blinko Wed 13-Jun-18 22:26:59

Foxyferret grin so you did. My remark was rather wishful thinking...

glammagran Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:35

Maryhoffman37 I’m a massive fan of Engrenages (Spiral). Fully up to date and awaiting final series.

glammagran Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:27

To our delight, tomorrow is the first day of our 17 night cruise so DH and I won’t even have to listen to the news reports on it. Didn’t know this when we booked at Christmas. We too hate ? but enjoy ?.

DanniRae Wed 13-Jun-18 19:41:16

What's your team NotAGran?

NotAGran55 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:18:51

I'll be watching it . Counting down the weeks until my team start again for the new season - I love it and Saturdays aren't the same when the season finishes sad

lollee Wed 13-Jun-18 18:39:06

Yggdrasil and sodapop. My granddaughter and I are absolutely crazy Outlander fans and have read all books and watched all episodes to date. On the Diana Gabaldon website she is still writing Go Tell the Bees hoping to finish by end of year. May read them all again before i start Bees. Plenty of great box sets while footie and tennis is on, can't stand sport lol.

nanaK54 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:16:58

Will definitely watch the England games

Looking forward to Wimbledon too

Foxyferret Wed 13-Jun-18 18:11:28

I actually said the World Cup was only every 4 years Blinko.

pensionpat Wed 13-Jun-18 18:07:31

You can drive on empty roads when England are playing. I hope they do well. People are very cheerful then.

Blinko Wed 13-Jun-18 17:51:18

Who said football was only on every 4 years?? If only! I don't follow sport and fortunately neither does the OH. I do like the idea planned by Rubysong and friends, though.

oldgaijin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:25:40

I shall put Poldark on loop now that Aiden Turner has out torso'ed Daniel Craig coming out of the sea!

kittylester Wed 13-Jun-18 17:11:06

I won't judge you parsley, we have 4! blush

DH will watch most of it when he is at home - probably in the 'playroom' upstairs. I'll watch if it looks as though it's getting interesting.

Sar53 Wed 13-Jun-18 16:47:41

We will be watching it together. I love football, always have and it is something we have in common. I love Wimbledon too although OH not so keen. Each to their own.