Gransnet forums

Chat

Went to the gym - and then cried

(16 Posts)
Sallyann1 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:25:34

I’m not keen on exercise - I don’t mind swimming, so I go about 4/5 times a week. As I recently had 2 cataract ops, the consultant said I should give swimming a miss for a while. So I very reluctantly starting going to the gym. Tonight I was on a static bike, watching TV, as all the equipment has TVs attaches. “Great canal journeys” was on, with Prunella Scales and Timothy West, from years ago. They interact so wonderfully with each other, I found myself crying. What a lovely relationship!

Elrel Wed 13-Jun-18 22:24:35

You're almost making the gym sound attractive! I've signed up, and paid, for the newly opened leisure centre but keep not quite feeling like going ...

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jun-18 08:40:41

Sallyann1, I laughed when I read your post. I thought you meant that you had been to the gym, and then cried after seeing all the lovely fit young bods, or cried that your bod was hurting and aching after all the unacustomed exercise. Sorry wink

Sallyann1 Thu 14-Jun-18 09:18:30

I did intend the heading to seem like that, Auntieflo ! In fact my bod did ache quite a bit last night! Not too bad this morning, after some Voltarol!
I just thought Timothy West was so loving with Prunella - and I loved seeing how she came to life and remembered whole chunks of lines when they talked about plays and the theatre.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Jun-18 10:00:41

Husband and I are also watching these re-runs, find them so moving. The looks of love and adoration between them get my tears flowing. We are even thinking of having our own canal adventure.

Sallyann1 Thu 14-Jun-18 11:40:54

Ooh, an adventure of your own - how exciting GrannyGravy13 !
In the episode I saw they were in Sweden and Prunella was being reflective at one point, remarking on the lovely landscape - then she said “I feel guilty sometimes, I’m so lucky”. I can’t imagine either of them without the other!

Pebbles77 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:41:00

Awwwww yeah ... love prunella ... “oh I know ... yes I know ....” lol Sybil
The gym is great ...
Love
Watching tv or listening to music when there ...I go with hubby ... hopefully next week again depends when he gets time off work for his strength excerisses after op ....

lollee Fri 15-Jun-18 10:04:20

My boss used to chauffeur Prunella during a theatre run and prior had been told by her PA not to address her directly, not to do this, not to do that. However, on first day she chatted to him as an equal and then apologised if she then remained silent while reading her lines. Before the last performance Timothy told him to bring her home that night along with an overnight case as he was invited to the last night party! He said they were both a joy and Timothy was very protective of Prunella.
As for the gym I will never enter one again this side of the grave! Gentle pilates on dvd and walking/gardening is enough for me lol.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 10:07:26

Pebbles confused??

merlotgran Fri 15-Jun-18 10:20:17

I wonder how she is these days? They are lovely programmes and we're happy to watch the repeats when they crop up on a Saturday evening of dire telly.

I wouldn't want to be a narrowboat owner coming the other way when Tim is negotiating a tight bend though. shock

Theoddbird Fri 15-Jun-18 10:51:45

I love the programme as I live on a narrow boat. They are a wonderful couple. I hope I can still take the tiller when I am in my 80s. They are an example that life can carry on and be enjoyed in later life. X

sarahellenwhitney Fri 15-Jun-18 12:08:54

I too believed a disaster had occurred ie witnessing sylph
like bodies grinwhen ones own is not exactly sylph like.?
I did enjoy Canal Journeys and maybe me, finding something which was not there, but felt Tim patronising where some of Prue's comments /suggestions were concerned ?

Craftycat Fri 15-Jun-18 12:33:12

I'd cry if I had to go to a gym- loathe the places. Yoga & a dance class will do me fine thank you.

Magicmaggie Fri 15-Jun-18 14:22:50

Sarahellenwhitney
I felt the same as you did about Tim’s attitude towards
Prue, did sometimes seem a bit brusque,
especially when they were navigating the various locks.

GrammaH Fri 15-Jun-18 16:52:22

I've always been very concerned that neither of them wear any form of life jacket!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 16-Jun-18 07:43:02

I also often think Tim is patronising with Prue and not just since she's been diagnosed with dementia but that just seems to be their way if interacting with each other.
My ex and I once stayed in Cambridge for a weekend and at breakfast in the hotel we chose a table, put bag and fruit juice there and went to the buffet for the full English. On arriving back at our table there was a lady sitting there. I said to her that we'd already taken that table and our juice and my bag were already on it. She got up without a word and moved to another and it was then, on seeing her joined by her husband that we realised that I'd just asked Prunella Scales to move! I think we may have chosen their usual table but it wasn't reserved.
Later, in the foyer we saw the poster advertising their appearance at the local theatre.