Gransnet forums

Chat

COSMETIC SURGERY

(72 Posts)
JustALaugh Thu 14-Jun-18 09:38:04

I just wondered if anyone has had any cosmetic surgery? If so, what did you have done? If not, would you consider it? I'd like everything doing, but I'd need hundreds of thousands to get it all looking gorgeous!

Kim19 Fri 15-Jun-18 12:58:23

I've considered it because I've had awful bags under my eyes for many years. Saw a consultant at the time who ashamedly told me it was the 'ageing process'. Pathetic. Fact is I'm much too cowardly and have learned to live with the downside. Happily I don't think of it at all but the mirror is a constant 'ugh'

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jun-18 13:06:35

I had some of those little brown birth-marks removed, when I was young and an aspiring singer/dancer. They were on my face and I felt self-conscious about them.

I few years ago, I had another removed, as it was on the back of my neck, where I could not see if it was changing at all, and where it caught on a necklace any time I wore one.

Obviously, this is the light end of cosmetic surgery, but why not have things you consider blemishes removed?

Kacee Fri 15-Jun-18 13:09:14

I would like my double chin removed. I have lost 4 stone and want too lose another couple then I will look into it.

Buddly Fri 15-Jun-18 13:46:18

I’ve had my upper eyelids done 6 months ago. Very pleased with the result. Feel much more confident.

Sulis Fri 15-Jun-18 13:51:00

I had a facelift 12 years ago when I was 60. I didn't "need" it according to friends, but having modelled in the 60's have always been excruciatingly appearance conscious and I was looking, according to me, decidedly jaded. Having received a substantial inheritance, I took the plunge, and was soooooooo glad I did it. Although I have some wrinkles, eyelids look terrific and have no bags. I don't have that tight look, it seems quite natural. I have stayed looking a good 10 years younger and always will. I paid for a top surgeon, after all it is your face. I healed very quickly, and no-one can see any scars etc. I have never made a secret of it and was very open and upfront which has enabled several people to ask as many questions as they needed so that they could do the same thing too. The only pain I felt was having the stitches out around my eyes. Astonishingly pain free. I was really surprised. If anyone needs info, please message me, I am only too happy to answer questions. Apart from having my lovely son it is one of the best things I ever did. It gave me back my confidence at a time when it was very low.

Babette Fri 15-Jun-18 14:12:45

I (now 75) had upper and lower Blepharoplasty, done by a very reputable eye surgeon (cost £2900) and never regretted it. The eyes are the most important part of your face.
Be careful in the choice of your surgeon and he does not have to be in Harley Street!

Riverwalk Fri 15-Jun-18 14:27:03

I haven't but wouldn't mind a bit of a lift, particularly bilateral blepharoplasty.

Craftycat have you considred microblading? A young 30-something colleague who had very sparse eyebrows (never plucked) had hers done - cost about £350. They look fantastic and she's very pleased.

Microblading is very different from the old-style tattoos, which look like painted-on tadpoles; worth investigating.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jun-18 14:45:57

I haven't, and aren't considering it at the moment. But as with everything in life, I'd never say never.

inishowen Fri 15-Jun-18 14:47:44

I would love to have my breasts reduced and lifted back to their proper place. I won't get it done though. It's major surgery and too risky.

thuberon Fri 15-Jun-18 14:49:00

When I was 21 I had a rhinoplasty, now called a nose job. I had a Roman nose. School had been a misery being called names and I was always very self conscious that I would ever be caught in profile. I was referred to a consultant plastic surgeon who simply asked "how long have you had this?" and surgery was arranged. I didn't have to wait long (this was the early '70's), the op was straightforward and the result immediately obvious. It was the best thing I have ever done. I never looked back or gave any other body issue more than a fleeting thought. It makes me so happy just to be ordinary.

Happysexagenarian Fri 15-Jun-18 15:09:48

I am with Goldengirl on this. My looks and face are what they are. That is me. Far from perfect, but unique. I have got used to the reflection I see in the mirror over the years, I can see my mother and grandmother there, and my sons. The lines show that I laugh and smile a lot. I can live with that.

Venus Fri 15-Jun-18 16:16:04

I have had upper and lower lids done, face lift, breast lift and tummy reduction. Yes, there was pain after for a while, but well worth the effort. I'm told I look ten years younger and I'm very happy with that.

Who wants to look old and haggard if you don't have to??

nellgwin Fri 15-Jun-18 16:30:15

Yes and No. Had a gastric band fitted after unsuccessfully trying to loose weight after After myThyroid was removed and I put on 4 Stone, worked at first but then started to pile on weight again later found out it had slipped but didn't fancy having another go! So even though I am on a low carb and protein diet I am still over weight . So at time Yes, now No.

Gemmag Fri 15-Jun-18 16:34:14

I have no qualms about having a little cosmetic surgery done for pure vanity reasons!.
What I would like to know is, how does one go about finding a really good cosmetic surgeon?.

Craftycat Fri 15-Jun-18 16:36:02

Thank you Riverwalk & Lovebiegecardies.
Never heard or blading thing but will look into it.
The practitioner who I was considering does mainly work after breast reconstructions so is very experienced.
I'll try Maybelline first but I wonder if it will come off in the sea/pool. Worth a shot.

Lisalou Fri 15-Jun-18 16:37:13

I had a breast reduction nine years ago, I had HH cups and severe back pain. I had it done privately and it cost a small fortune. My husband had received an inheritance and he paid for it for me. I have to say my initial reason for having the op was back and shoulder pain, along with constant headaches. Funnily, I look back on it and am still amazed at how much it changed my life. I had never been able to buy dresses easily - if they fit the top, they hung on my, if they fit the bottom...well, they did not fit the top. Bikinis were an impossibility. I have a small frame and the huge boobs were making my life really hard, but I had been living with the didn't really think about it.
After the op, I discovered a whole new world. I could buy bras anywhere, I could buy dresses, I could wear a bikini...
All I can say is that I had the op at the age of 43. I just wish I could have had it at the age of 25.

JustALaugh Fri 15-Jun-18 17:18:31

Kacee.... well done on losing all that weight!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 15-Jun-18 18:02:48

Yes and why not but I can’t afford it. I have, however my upper teeth are implants and I love them, money well spent. I feel if you work hard for your money and you can afford and that’s what you want then go for it.

Ellie Anne Fri 15-Jun-18 18:40:22

Lisa Lou I also paid for a breast reduction but am in my 60s. Couldn’t afford it when I was younger. I’m only small and was totally out of proportion and so uncomfortable and self conscious. Now like you I can buy bras anywhere and feel much better. Lucky you that your husband supported you. Mine snorted and sneered when I told him even though it was my own money. Damaged an already poor relationship.

mayla Fri 15-Jun-18 19:38:03

I had a facelift on the lower part of my face and was glad I did it. However, I was not prepared for how intense the surgery and recovery time was. Because of that, I wouldn't do it again but have used other means like Botox and facial fillers. I like the results of these and they are much less intense than surgery.

JustALaugh Fri 15-Jun-18 21:00:39

Myla.... I'd like a lower facelift, but a surgeon told me it was a big operation, so I had fillers (£700 for 2 visits, 2 weeks apart). I like the result.

JustALaugh Fri 15-Jun-18 21:01:49

Jackie74... you look wonderful

knspol Fri 15-Jun-18 21:05:44

Would love to have all sorts of bits and bobs done but am too much of a coward. Well done to those who have taken the plunge and are enjoying the results.

Chrishappy Fri 15-Jun-18 22:04:11

I'm very fair skinned and my eyebrows were practically no existent. Got them tattooed on last year at age of 65. Best thing I ever did. I researched the ins and outs first and have lovely light brown brows now that don't wash of. Read reviews of salons first

carpedeum Sat 16-Jun-18 01:44:33

Yes ,I too had my very droopy eyelids fixed. Threw caution to the winds and had my droopy chins done simultaneously.
That’s about ten years ago. Not one pang of regret. I feel I look better, even now. Very happy with the work. Kept it very secret and two old friends were suspicious, that’s all.