Gransnet forums

Chat

Phone calls while the football is on!

(10 Posts)
shandi6570 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:26:30

This thread made me laugh, or should I put LOL. We don't enjoy football in our house and my OH was out last night so when the phone rang at 9.30pm I was quite put out, as I don't think people should ring later than 9.00pm except in an emergency. I didn't get to the phone in time to answer but the caller left a message; "sorry I'm ringing so late but didn't want to interrupt you watching the football" was the start of the message. grin Just goes to show that however hard you try, you can never please all of the people all of the time.

callgirl1 Tue 19-Jun-18 17:39:51

This house is now a football free zone, so phone calls welcome.
I remember going into town at the time of the 1966 World Cup Final, it was deserted, and all the shop assistants had to be summoned to the counter, they were all watching the footie in their back rooms!

NanaandGrampy Tue 19-Jun-18 12:08:23

I love the shops during World cup matches Hazbeen , last time they were empty ghost towns LOL - enjoy!!

M0nica Tue 19-Jun-18 11:54:27

Thank goodness the man in my household would rather watch paint dry than watch sport. Same with DS.

Unfortunately my VDGS is definitely an alien, he likes football and plays it well.

HAZBEEN Tue 19-Jun-18 11:00:42

I wish I could have chatted to people ladies, but you know nothing gets between men and their football! We live in a tiny flat so even taking the phone into another room doesnt work, he claims he can still hear!!
If it had been any other match but England (or Spain v Portugal) it wouldnt have been too bad!
As it is he has realised we will be away when the semis and final are on so it looks like he will be finding a bar to watch them in if any of those 3 teams are in them! Still were we are going I know there are plenty of shops and markets for me!

harrigran Tue 19-Jun-18 10:45:03

My sister rang me during the England game, her DH was watching it as was mine but she still thought it fair game to witter on for 45 minutes. Luckily my DH was able to decamp to the music room. Nobody tells the sister no, if I had ignored the house phone she would have rung my mobile.

glammanana Tue 19-Jun-18 10:32:48

I'm afraid I would have unplugged TV and had a good old chat far more exciting than grown men running around after a ball.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:21:10

Phone me during the football but NOT during the tennis.

NanaandGrampy Tue 19-Jun-18 10:13:24

I would welcome those calls Hazbeen , please feel free to call for a long chat ???

HAZBEEN Tue 19-Jun-18 09:39:11

I would have thought everybody and his wife knew that England were playing in the world cup last night and the majority of men and a lot of women would be watching it, so why did we get 3 phone calls from companies (2 of them companies I deal with wanting feedback) and 2 calls from neighbours wanting to chat?
My OH was not happy to say the least!
We ended up unplugging the phone for the second half!