Gransnet forums

Chat

Dyeing clothes

(24 Posts)
mimiro Thu 21-Jun-18 16:08:29

when stitching stays white its usually because thread is synthetic fiber or part synthetic

travelsafar Thu 21-Jun-18 15:59:28

Moral of the story always wear an apron, our grandparents must have known something we didnt as i remember my Nan always wore a wrap around pinny. I always wear one when cleaning the bathroom and kitchen as i am a bit messy with water and cleaning productssmile Really hope you resolve your problem.

Minerva Thu 21-Jun-18 14:23:21

I got some spots of bleach on a favourite brown tee shirt. They were a pretty shade of salmon pink so I took a cocktail stick and a cup of bleach and dripped a flower design, a petal at a time, to disguise the accidental splashes. Still got it and you would never know.

Diggingdoris Thu 21-Jun-18 13:52:38

It's annoying isn't it? I once bought a new top and wore it for the first time the day we were going on holiday. As usual I went round the house putting bleach down sinks and toilets, as I do each time we go away(and other times of course!), and it wasn't till I sat in the car that my husband said 'what's that on your top?' I could have screamed when I saw a splash mark from the bleach! The new top swiftly became a gardening one.

kazziecookie Thu 21-Jun-18 13:45:20

Could you make a feature of it? Sew an appliqué or patch over it. I tie died a top that a bleach splash on it and it looked really good as if it was always meant to be there.
I have a guest house so lots of my clothes get bleach or fat splashes on them whilst I am working.

123kitty Thu 21-Jun-18 13:43:05

Immerse complete tunic in bleach and cold water mix, this should blend in your original bleach patch. You will then be able to use any colour dye you fancy. Good luck.

nipsmum Thu 21-Jun-18 13:24:25

My mothers remedy was " well you should be wearing a pinny anyway". Maybe wear one in future.

annodomini Thu 21-Jun-18 13:21:28

I've successfully dyed several cotton jumpers that got in the way of bleach spatters. I've always used Dylon's Pre-Dye before machine dyeing in my chosen colour. One snag is that the stitching, even in cotton garments, is done in a synthetic thread which doesn't dye. Fortunately the small amount of red stitching in a black jumper wasn't conspicuous.

inishowen Thu 21-Jun-18 13:00:10

I used to dye all sorts of things, using a washing machine dye. I remember dyeing white shirts but the stitching stayed white while the shirt took the colour. I recently dyed a grey anorak as I hated the colour. I used navy dye and it didn't take at all. I still ended up with the grey anorak. You might as well give it a go and see what happens.

pollyperkins Thu 21-Jun-18 12:09:04

Ive done the same with bleach. Very annoying. I try to remember not to use it while wearing good clothes or at least to put an apron on.

allsortsofbags Thu 21-Jun-18 12:06:39

I've done a mix of what has already been suggested.

I've used permanent pen to get a close match then dyed a darker colour, worked OK.

Chose a darker dye and permeant marketed the bleached area first with the chosen dye colour, worked OK.

Used paint on type dye and iron set, worked OK but I'm having difficulty finding these now.

And finally have added decorative bits to clothes.

You think we'd learn not to "just do that little job" when we are wearing good clothes :-(

I am currently waiting for my washer to finish spinning DH's black jeans that I have just re dyed as they were looking very faded but otherwise are in good condition so a very synchronistic post :-)

Good luck and I'd say worth a try recovering your top even is you change the colour.

tanith Thu 21-Jun-18 11:42:36

I do it too, once on a striped cotton sweater I also used a purple marker pen to disguise the bleached bit and worked fine just needed to repeat after every wash.

pamdixon Thu 21-Jun-18 11:19:09

I once used a marker pen, on some bright blue trousers, that I'd splashed bleach on - worked pretty well, and wasn't a bad colour match. Maybe you can find a pen of the right colour and try that? good luck

Jaycee5 Thu 21-Jun-18 11:04:46

Could you stick some iron on decals on it?

muddynails Thu 21-Jun-18 10:38:42

I've done the same with bleach, really annoying if its clothes you really like. Good thing is, its a natural fabric. I too have used dye remover which if you are going for different/similar colour has worked for me, if trying to cover lighter patch, try treating lighter patch only, don't overlap (its not easy) first, I rested wet bit that needed dye over basin so dye didn't travel up rest of fabric, leaving on for max. time, rinse, then treat the whole item in same dye colour, it has worked for me but no guarantees. Good luck.

Sulis Thu 21-Jun-18 10:24:40

what about bleaching the whole linen tunic?

moobox Thu 21-Jun-18 10:15:50

I never learn the lesson of not using bleach when what I am wearing is something, however old, that I like

Bamm Thu 21-Jun-18 09:56:05

I once splashed bleach on a brown pure linen dress and I found a product that you paint on material and then iron to make it perminant. It worked very well although the colour of your garment maybe hard to match. The iron on dyes can be mixed, I remember mixing a few colours together to get the right brown shade.

mostlyharmless Wed 20-Jun-18 17:17:47

Well I think it’s worth a try Witzend. I’ve always thought if I won’t wear it as it is, what have I got to lose by trying to dye it?
You just lose the cost of the dye.
I’ve dyed many things successfully with machine dye, but usually go darker rather than trying to match the colour.

Chewbacca Wed 20-Jun-18 11:23:09

I've done the same thing oh so many times, and I found that the dye didn't completely conceal the bleached bit; it looked sort of faded, instead. Afraid Maw is right, but you've nothing more to lose, so worth trying.

silverlining48 Wed 20-Jun-18 10:59:17

I used to dye things a lot to refresh, it was a messy business, recall a bowl and bucket and wooden spoon. Then Dylon brought out a washing machine dye, much easier. Good luck.

Witzend Wed 20-Jun-18 10:25:16

I hope not, Mawbroon - Dylon also do a dye stripper, which I would plan to use first.
Worth a try anyway.

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 10:19:32

The bleached bit will always come up a different colour I am afraid. I used to be forever doing that - finding white streaks across the tummy area where I’d reached across worktops.
Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings sad

Witzend Wed 20-Jun-18 10:11:23

I'm so cross with myself - while cleaning the bathroom I splashed some cleaning stuff evidently containing bleach on a pure linen tunic.
I have successfully machine-dyed a couple of things before a navy linen skirt that was very faded - at the same time I chucked in some beige trousers with a stain that wouldn't come out, both successful.

However the machine dye I used doesn't come in the same colour as the tunic, a sort of mustard. I'd even replace it, but they don't do the same colour any more.
The dyes do come in a bright yellow and a sort of russet - I'm thinking of using half of each! Tunic wasn't cheap, so it's worth a try.
Anyone else dyed things successfully?