Gransnet forums

Chat

Take your pick.

(20 Posts)
Panache Thu 21-Jun-18 14:18:13

Choose 3 people you would most like to invite home (past or present,male or female)
Gice the reasons for your choice
Plus the menu you would provide.....choosing which meal yourselves.

Looking forward to hearing your choice VIP`!!!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jun-18 14:39:40

My Mum, My maternal Grandma (both deceased) and my Daughter.

Menu :- Prawn Cocktail (salad leaves from garden)

Roast Chicken, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese,
Runner beans (from garden), petit pots and stuffing.

Apple pie and custard (apples from friend)

4 generations of strong women, grew up in different eras, different financial situations, but so alike in so many ways!!!

If only it could be??

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Jun-18 14:40:41

Oops 'petit pois' flipping spell check!!!!!

Panache Thu 21-Jun-18 14:44:50

Sounds very good to me,the menu would have me joining in any day (if you gave the invitation of course!!!)

As for your 3 choices .......can`t fault that .......in fact I applaud it, and for your sake only wish it could come to pass.

Thanks Granny Gravy13

kittylester Thu 21-Jun-18 18:00:10

This made me think hard, panache!

My cousin whom I have not seen for almost 60 years - if she is still alive - we were very close at one stage.

Her Mum (my aunt) who really can't have been as bad as she was painted.....or was she. She was, after all, (whisper) divorced in the very early 1950s after she ran off with the local factory owner's son. shock

My Granny mother of my aunt and Granny of my cousin. Mum disliked her (or was overawed by her) so we saw very little of her. I found her scary as she was (or came over as) quite grand.

We would go to the Hotel in the Peak District to which Granny used to drive in her open topped car in the 1940/50s and have a really posh afternoon tea. I wouldn't have a gluten intolerance - nor would I be scared of Granny or my very glamorous Auntie Joan!

Cor, that was deep!!

Panache Thu 21-Jun-18 18:02:22

Deeper the better Kitty and very enjoyable.

Sounds as though "they" lived a good life even back then!!

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 18:05:52

My Gran, Grandad and my Dad!
We'd have a chef and staff in to serve a lovely Christmas Dinner.
Oh that would be so nice. Could my DH, DD and DGSs join us afterwards?

Panache Thu 21-Jun-18 18:14:08

Only if you will include me Jane10!!!!

Anniebach Thu 21-Jun-18 18:47:57

My darling elder daughter, my husband, both deceased and my younger daughter,

we would be a complete family again since 1975.

Younger daughter can choose the menu, she is a fantastic cook

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 18:49:51

We could do lunch sometime Panache. You surely wouldn't want to join in a strange family reunion (and it would be as we're a strange family!)

Cherrytree59 Thu 21-Jun-18 21:11:06

My maternal grandmother (wonderful cook)
My paternal grandmother ( not such a wonderful cook)
My sister (wonderful cook)
And moi ( not such a wonderful cook!)

Food would be the same as our maternal grandmother cooked for us.
Now cooked by lovely my sister.

Homemade chicken soup
Chicken, carrots and sprouts and new potatoes in butter.
accompanied by a lovely white sauce made from chicken stock.

Apple crumble
And either nestle cream or custard.

Next week it would be the turn of the grandfathers
How I wish sad

Cherrytree59 Thu 21-Jun-18 21:19:30

Ps reason for my choice.
To ask the questions I had failed to ask as a child and a hug or two.?

Jane10 Thu 21-Jun-18 22:24:29

That's exactly it cherrytree. So many things I'd like to ask them and also share with them. Ah well. Sigh.

cornergran Fri 22-Jun-18 00:00:24

My Mum, who left too soon, my Ma in law as I never really knew her as a woman and my Pa in law as I never met him.

I’d love to hear all about my in laws lives, especially their childhoods and their life in South Wales in the 40’s, then hear my Mum compare it with her life in East London. Yes, get answers to all the questions I didn’t know I had while they were alive.

My Mum and Ma in law were good cooks, so I think a traditional old style Christmas buffet would be the way to go. All prepared in advance so we could relax and chat.

Something for us all. Sausage rolls, mince pies, turkey sandwiches, gammon sandwiches, vol au vents, cheese and pineapple, my Mum’s medley cake, my Ma in Law’s traditional Christmas cake, trifle. Plus anything I’ve forgotten. A snowball for my Mum, sherry for Ma in Law, there would be whatever pa in law wanted and a nice glass of chilled white for me.

The biggest hug before I left them, doubtlessly tears but it would be worth it.

Time machine anyone? Then the next week I could sit and chat with my Dad and his parents, the week after my maternal grandparents and an Aunt, oh I could go on. I miss them all.

ninathenana Fri 22-Jun-18 00:15:05

My wonderful, kind, gentle and funny dad along with my DD and DS.
Dad died two years to the day before DD (eldest) was born. I would love them all to meet.

We would have roast lamb, roast spuds, yorkies, roast parsnips, carrots and cauliflower. Spotted dick and custard All dad's favourites. We love it all too.

muffinthemoo Fri 22-Jun-18 00:41:27

Do dogs count?

No people I’d be bothered to see again but I miss my dogs so much.

They can eat whatever they like. Special treat.

Namsnanny Fri 22-Jun-18 01:17:45

Well, it would have to be my Dad. I pray every night that I might meet him again. I'm so sad and sorry I couldn't make his last weeks easier for him. I know I did my best but it wasn't up to the mark.
I'd love to tell him how much I appreciated him.

His Mum my loving Nan, she died when I was 10ys. We used to live with her from my birth until I was 6/7ys, and she made me feel so safe and wanted! I still dream of her at times.

Probably my Fathers father as he died whilst my Dad was a toddler and they never knew each other. We have a couple of family stories about him but very little actual information about his personality.

Don't care about the food, could be anything just so long as everyone was happy :-)

Shed a tear...….if only

Panache Fri 22-Jun-18 08:08:13

What a lot of heart rendering sentiments and you have me almost in tears!!!
Whilst your menu`s certainly had me licking my lips!!!

I had expected some names from the Victorian past perhaps,a member of Royalty,famous artists,singers,poets,radio,T.V or theatrical members,politicians even...............but obviously you are all into your very own dear kith and kin..........commendable for sure.

Muffinthemoo............I am with you all the way and of course as our dogs are very much devoted family members, you are certainly allowed to invite them.
(Secretly I probably would too!)

Jane10 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:17:15

And cats? Although they might not be too keen to meet each other

Greyduster Fri 22-Jun-18 09:02:33

My mother, because I have a deep need to find out more about her early life and what made her into the sort of woman she eventually became, which so coloured my relationship with her. My own experiences as a wife and mother have given me insights, but the truth would be good.
And my two older sisters, because when we were together, it was always hilarious and I miss them every day.
We would have my mother’s delicious, deeply savoury rabbit stew, with sage and onion Yorkshire pudding and mashed potatoes, followed by steamed jam roly poly and custard, and one of my sister’s fantastic coffee and walnut cakes.