Gransnet forums

Chat

?? to all Gransnetters

(30 Posts)
Oopsadaisy53 Mon 25-Jun-18 10:38:34

It occurred to me today that Gransnetters, no matter whether or not you agree with their views, are always there to listen, to offer advice or tell people where they are going wrong, or to say they are sorry that they can’t help, but good luck anyway.
I always phoned my Mum if I had any problems, I knew that she wasn’t able to help, but she would listen, my daughter does the same thing. She starts off by saying “I don’t want your advice , but..” ( yeh, like that’s not going to happen) and she talks to me about her problems.
I’ve just popped in to see a friend in our village, she knows I can’t help with her ongoing problems, but she says it helps just to talk about it, to someone who will just sit and listen.
We don’t always have someone who will sit and listen, especially someone who isn’t family and won’t get upset at what you are saying.
So Gransnetters, thanks for listening.

DanniRae Tue 26-Jun-18 16:05:53

Oh, thanks allsortsofbags - I'll just put the flowers in a vase, then have my cuppa and cake - it looks like a bakewell, my favourite. Then I'll have the glass of wine later! wink

kittylester Mon 25-Jun-18 17:54:00

Great post oopsadaisy|

allsortsofbags Mon 25-Jun-18 17:44:13

Thank you for your post oopsadaisy, good point well made.

Thank You also to other GNers for the company, the laughs and the wisdom.

Being part of GN has allowed me to feel less of a stranger in this world.

So flowers wine brew and cupcake to you all.

mcem Mon 25-Jun-18 17:39:48

Although I 'm fortunate to have a very supportive family locally I have really appreciated GN over the last month since I broke my femur.
I have found lots of encouragement and am grateful for the pats on the back as I 've reported on my progress.
It has made me realise that my short-term situation is very doable while others are coping with difficult long-term problems.
4 weeks since the accident and I 'm coping well, almost back to normal and nearly ready for the Disneyland Paris trip with the DGs on 10 July!I
Thanks to all who have been sympathetic and supportive. flowers

luluaugust Mon 25-Jun-18 17:27:13

Thanks oopsadaisy and lots of flowers to you, love all the different ways of looking at life.

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Jun-18 16:29:08

Thanks oopsadaisy

Gransnet has become my 'go to'.

A big bunch of lovely Daisies just for you?

merlotgran Mon 25-Jun-18 15:07:42

I know how you feel, Bohemian. I was exhausted after DH's lengthy stay in hospital. I was lucky to have family support but I didn't have the energy or enthusiasm for anything other than hospital visiting, running the home and dealing with the anxiety that accompanies tests, tests and more tests.

Hope all goes well with your OH.

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jun-18 14:25:54

Hope things go well for your OH Bohemian - and of course for you. It is very stressful being the partner of someone who is ill, as you have to take on a "saintly" role and quash your own needs; very hard if you are feeling upset (or even cross! - it happens!) with your OH and you have to bite the tongue!! - that is stressful - no safety valve. Try and look after yourself too.

Oopsadaisy53 Mon 25-Jun-18 13:24:54

Ooooh cake! ?

DanniRae Mon 25-Jun-18 13:18:13

Cheers Oopsadaisy!!
You seem to have lots of flowers so I am sending a brew and a cupcake

Synonymous Mon 25-Jun-18 13:16:13

Bohemian unfortunately I understand only too well and just hope that all is much better than you think. flowers
Don't forget to take some time out for yourself if at all possible even if you just go out for a coffee whether you go to a cafe or take a thermos to a park and wander around the flowers. Take a magazine with you in case there is no one to talk to as you then don't imagine that you are sticking out like a sore thumb. And ....... breathe ........ smile

farview Mon 25-Jun-18 13:02:22

What a lovely post!!! flowers I too am grateful for gransnet,we are lucky aren't we... opinions may differ but on the whole..united we stand!...

sodapop Mon 25-Jun-18 12:34:41

People do forget about the carers or partners Bohemian and they need support and a few kind words too.
Try to relax and get some rest whilst your partner is in hospital. It is worrying when the outcome of tests is unknown but don't scare yourself with worst case scenarios .
Treatment will be available to help him I'm sure.
Bon courage flowers

Panache Mon 25-Jun-18 12:31:10

Indeed, in this day and age where families are so widespread and very often in differing counties or even countries, we are often left without that ever welcome "listening ear" which can help to take the steam out of many a tough situation.

These Gransnetters are truly worth their weight in gold, always being there ready to offer that staunch shoulder or listening ear,taking the brunt..... when often we feel overwhelmed.

Often too we do take too much for granted, so thank you Oopsadaisy for your generous thoughts and consideration for these people whom are in a way "Unsung heroes".............may I also add my own sincere vote of thanks to you all........flowers for all.

boheminan Mon 25-Jun-18 12:29:01

(that should read HEART investigations)

sodapop Mon 25-Jun-18 12:28:37

Yes it is good to have an independent opinion or just to have someone listen.
I have friends who tell me all their problems but are never interested in my issues. My best friend says the same thing, we think its because we were both mental health nurses in a previous life and are good listeners.
Gransnetters give yourselves a wine flowers

boheminan Mon 25-Jun-18 12:28:19

After reading this thread early this morning it's stayed with me, as it's so appropriate at the moment.

My partner is undergoing intense medical investigations and most of today, like so many days in the last two weeks, has been spent at hospital - this time for heat investigations.

He's very popular and has a constant stream of well-wishers phoning him, or popping in. He's talking about his health problems and is coping (seemingly) well.

On the other hand, I'm exhausted, frantic with worry and have no one to talk to. I don't like to pipe up and say how worried and exhausted I feel because it may seem I'm trying to take the emphasis off him (I know it's not a competition.). It's hit the spot to realise that all I need is someone to talk to - not advice, but to purge my fears.

Thank you for listening flowers

Willow500 Mon 25-Jun-18 12:16:00

It's true that it's good to share - sometimes it helps just to offload without even expecting advice in return. Thank you for a lovely post flowers

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jun-18 12:14:34

Thanks so much isn’t that nice yes I d be lost without gransnet and made some nice virtual friends
A big hug for everyone (XX )

cornergran Mon 25-Jun-18 12:08:16

Not sure where that stray letter came from. Oh for an edit button.

cornergran Mon 25-Jun-18 12:07:21

Thank you oopsadaisy, appreciate both the thought and the flowers, totallybagree with you and so here are some flowers for you.

Greyduster Mon 25-Jun-18 11:42:58

Thank you oopsadaisy for that lovely thought. ??

downtoearth Mon 25-Jun-18 11:38:22

That's lovely oopsadaisy..brew

Mapleleaf Mon 25-Jun-18 11:26:25

What a lovely thing to say, oopsadaisy. Here's some ? for you, too.

Auntieflo Mon 25-Jun-18 11:15:43

What a lovely post Oopsadaisy. Thanks for the flowers, and don't forget yourself.