Gransnet forums

Chat

Acting credits.

(16 Posts)
SueDonim Fri 29-Jun-18 13:54:06

Yes, Imbd is very good. Here's the link to it. www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home

They also have filming locations which is interesting for those times when you're thinking 'I wonder where that is?'.

Auntieflo Fri 29-Jun-18 13:20:32

Thanks Ninathenana, no unfortunately we don't have a Sky box, but Freeview etc. Also thanks to scarface, I now know what IMDB stands for. It is often mentioned on Pointless, but hadn't worked out what it meant.

ajanela Fri 29-Jun-18 13:19:44

Many thanks scarfaceace. Sounds an interesting site, more information than who plays what.

Thanks MawBroom, for sorting out the name for me. I am useless with names, use to work with the public and I remembered all about them but their name but luckily I had a wonderful assistant who was good with names and the clients were impressed I remembered everything they had told me, so between us we made a good team.

scarfaceace Thu 28-Jun-18 16:38:17

Have a look at IMDB (Internet Movie Database) - it's brilliant. If you have a smart phone you can download the app, but you can google it too and get onto the website. You can search names of programs and it tells you everything about it, right down to where it was filmed. It tells you who plays which character, and you can click on their name and it tells you everything they've been in. Or you can just search a name and it tells you what films/tv shows the actor has been in. It's so useful!

ninathenana Thu 28-Jun-18 16:12:42

Auntieflo you can pause or rewind live TV if you have a Skye box.
I don't know if other systems do the same.

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 16:07:26

Hugh Bonneville.

ajanela Thu 28-Jun-18 12:11:19

But should I have to google it to find out who is playing who. If I was an actress I would like it clearly stated what part I was playing.
Watching Downton Abbey, I new Maggie Smith and Hue Boniford (is that his name) but never got to grips with anyone else. So when I see the actors in other dramas I am thinking that is so and so who was ......... in Downton Abbey and so it goes on. Then you see them on the red carpet at an event and they look so different. I also take part in a quiz night and there is a lot of "Oh! What's his/her name." Luckily we have a team member who does know.

Squiffy Wed 27-Jun-18 17:32:17

The other thing that infuriates me is when the credits come up at the end and then shrink to such an extent that I can't read them and have to get right up to the tv in order to read them (that's if they haven't become too distorted to read!) - just so that future programmes can be advertised angry

Jane10 Wed 27-Jun-18 17:18:26

kittylester glad to hear it's not just us. The amazing thing is that we both know exactly who and what we are discussing!

M0nica Wed 27-Jun-18 17:06:05

I just google the query and up comes the answer for a subject like this

Auntieflo Wed 27-Jun-18 17:04:00

I love looking at the cast list, if it's screened, but as you say it whizzes past at a rate of knots, unless you have recorded a programme, in which case you can pause it. But, on say catchup, for example, the cast list can be omitted completely, or something else is transmitted over it. Frustrating eh? hmm

pensionpat Wed 27-Jun-18 16:41:01

I Google so often to see what an actor has been in before that I miss chunks of the programme.

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-18 16:23:48

Jane, a friend and I had a conversation like that that went on for about 30 minutes - another friend looked on in amazement!

We pause and Google!

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 27-Jun-18 16:14:09

Google the films or TV Series name and click on ‘Cast’ names and photos are usually listed

Jane10 Wed 27-Jun-18 13:47:16

Me and my friend often have ridiculous conversations like, 'Did you see her last night in that thing on BBC, you know her that was in thingy with him with the wig.' etc etc
I sometimes just have to google who a particular actor is.

ajanela Wed 27-Jun-18 13:43:04

How do you know who plays which part in TV dramas? At the beginning actors names appear on the screen but it rarely says who is playing which part and there isn't a list at the end. Often I am pleased to see a name I know from the past but it can take a while to recognise them as they have aged so much.

With films there is usually a cast list but you hve to be a fast reader.

I have friends who seem to be very knowledgeable about who plays which character but can you tell me how they know. Anybody else have this problem?