Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable and friendly kitchen...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 28-Jun-18 16:41:24

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain?
As long as we're together
Here we go again...
Welcome and please feel free to open the Bubbly and tuck into a virtual Magnum choc ice. smile

Greyduster Fri 10-Aug-18 09:23:01

We are hurtling to the end of another kitchen, so I am through the door early today. Worried about my poor DS who had to be taken to A&E yesterday after his knee collapsed under him while crossing a road as he came out of work. He likened it to something exploding inside his knee and he went down like a sack of spuds! They Xrayed it but it wasn’t really conclusive, so he has to see a consultant on Wednesday. In the meantime he is on crutches, working from home and getting very grumpy because he doesn’t know when he will be able to drive again. When do you ever stop worrying about your children? Never it seems!
I love Wells too. We were there a couple of years ago, eating ice cream on the harbour in the most spectacular thunderstorm. I never tire of North Norfolk - always something good.

Panache Fri 10-Aug-18 09:15:25

Welcome back Maw you were very much missed by the way.

Interesting reading this about cataracts because I was first diagnosed some 6 years ago,and my vision is now considerably poorer, so yes I think a spot of investigating plus a lot of nagging required.............many thanks for the info and tip off.......You lot are invaluable indeed.
It is easy to prescribe new specs at a real cost when in fact, its the darn cataract that is the main problem.

Hoping you will come to enjoy this time just for yourself Ann..........a new experience but I am sure one which will help quite a lot,it does not force you out but you can enjoy the simple peace at home, without all the constant worries nagging at you....knowing your H is safe too.

We have been having some converstaions about many of you enjoying country life and watching the big machinery doing their work in the fields so I thought this little tit bit might well serve to show you yet another side to living amongst it all.!!!
As we were getting up yesterday early morning there seemed a lot of loud traffic noise coming and going outside which is different to that time of morning usually.
On peering out there was first one truck parked at the end of our drive,another across the road and a third a little further down.We could hear LOUD voices and then appeared 5 people,4 men and a lady all talking into mobile phones.
Up drew a very long and large cattle truck reversing into the gateway of the pasture land running right,left and beyond and ahead of us...............followed by a Police car with lights flashing.
This really had us intrigued..... as by now the morning workers rush hour was under way......and of course they were having difficulty in wending through this colloboration of trucks etc.
By the time breakfast was over all was seemingly over.
Only later we discovered that some 50+ beef cattle had strayed out of these fields and were scattered all down the road to a little stone hump backed bridge at the bottom................obviously it would have caused chaos .........but fortunately no one... beast or human got injured.
First bit of real interest on our country road in 14 years!!!
Perhaps we should stay!

Still awaiting Estate agent reports about our viwers but have learnt to just go with the flow...........

I am loving seeing and hearing of all these other places you visit in turns, and Wells is certainly a favourite with us.
Then I realised we seem to be talking differing Wells!

After days of pleasant sunshine and no scorching heat we have just had one hefty shower.......I am not too sure if it is just a shower or here to stay for the day..........it certainly halts plans for gardening!

Have a good one folks .........just realised August Bank Holiday, the end of summer is dangerously close............nothing we can do but just make the most of each day.

ChaosIncorporated Fri 10-Aug-18 06:44:40

A quick, early, pop in ahead of busy weekend.
Masses to do, so will catch up with everyones news on Sunday evening ....assuming I can find you!

cornergran Fri 10-Aug-18 01:13:53

Lovely to see callgirl. I’m finding a lot of good memories are triggered by GN posts. My parents loved it, I was less keen - too young maybe smile. I’d love to return and enjoy it now, but it’s a long walk from Somerset. Strange how the memory works, or doesn’t, mine seems to need a reminder now and again. Thank you.

callgirl1 Fri 10-Aug-18 00:36:46

Forgot this one!

callgirl1 Fri 10-Aug-18 00:34:49

Corner, we`ve been going, on and off, to Wells for the last 40 years, and apart from being a bit busier, it hasn`t really changed all that much, a slight tendency to the bucket and spade and seaside rock side of things, but still a quite gentle holiday resort. These pics were taken a couple of years ago. Oh, and the miniature railway still runs from the harbour to the beach.

cornergran Thu 09-Aug-18 23:17:59

You’ve triggered a memory callgirl. My parents used to take a tiny camper van to Wells next the Sea , I’m still not sure how they fitted into it. Mum needed a wheelchair and help to move but fit in they did and thoroughly enjoyed an overnight stay. We visited some times and have some very happy memories. I wonder how much it’s changed? Perhaps n&g will check it out and report back.

Prospective buyers can indeed be surprising panache, the right one is out there somewhere. Don’t despair.

Welcome back maw, hope Somerset was an enjoyable place to be.

I do think cataract surgery varies area to area. Mr C and I have both been told we have cataracts but it’s too soon to consider an operation. The race is on to se who gets to an operation first smile.

Keep resting if you need to greyd, one of those times I guess. Hope the plums were ready for picking grin.

Goodnight everyone, my eyes are closing and a busy day ahead tomorrow.

callgirl1 Thu 09-Aug-18 21:32:10

Ann, I do hope that you have enjoyed your free day today.
To those who mentioned asking the police about my lost money, they don`t take calls about lost property, we were directed to visit their website and fill in a lost property form, but haven`t heard anything, so it looks as iof he wasn`t such an honest gent Soop. If I`d found that much money, I`d be so worried for the person who had lost it, I definitely couldn`t pocket it.
Maw, welcome back from Somerset.
Soop, I hope the art show is a great success for you and the village.
Panache, hang in there, your perfect buyer is waiting in the wings, I`m sure.
N&G, I haven`t been to Hunstanton for a good few years, but remember liking it there, however, my favourite place in Norfolk will always be Wells-next-the-Sea, lovely little place, although nowhere quite matches up to Muasdale in glorious Kintyre.

annsixty Thu 09-Aug-18 21:03:40

I also have several friends who on being told they have cataracts at a routine eye test are referred for surgery.
It is also very common to get the op done at a private clinic on the NHS with very short waiting time.

mcem Thu 09-Aug-18 20:27:04

I'm genuinely surprised to read of anyone having to wait for cataracts to 'ripen'. 8 years ago I was told that it was an old-fashioned notion that no longer applied. Mine were done as soon as they were diagnosed.
Can't help wondering if it's based more on the post-code lottery theory than on medical best practice. Or perhaps cutbacks have led to longer queues!
I do hope you don't have a long wait and would be inclined to do some nagging!

Nannytopsy Thu 09-Aug-18 19:20:23

Welcome back Maw! I think I need to detox too but not just yet grin. Hope you had a great time in Somerset.

MawBroon Thu 09-Aug-18 18:16:21

I have got back from a busy, action packed visit to Somerset staying with DD and the children at their holiday house and have had a bit of a “digital detox” as DGS2 and I challenged each other to stay off our iPads , the loser to buy a magnum for the winner!
So while I have skim read this thread I hope you will forgive an absence of detailed comment - except for warm if belated Birthday congratulations to Soop
I hope everyone is well and enjoying the (to me) welcome drop in temperatures. Of course I want to see the sun shine again but with a bit of luck I might be able to rescue some of the garden and be a little more active in general!

soop Thu 09-Aug-18 17:52:48

Dear Panache I read your post and felt exhausted on your behalf. I sincerely hope that, before too long, you have good news on the house front to share with us lot.
The cataracts are best dealt with. I've had one removed (nothing to it) and the other is ripening nicely. Oh, the difference when the eye patch is removed. Miraculous!

We have just this minute returned from helping the committee to hang and label the umpteen paintings in readiness for the three day show. We're to sit at the desk for a couple of hours on Sat and Sun to deal with any purchases.

Tomorrow is care home visit day. Pals in the village are also treating us to lunch in Campbeltown. Should you lot crowd in at a pace to fill up the existing kitchen...please will the last visitor open a new kitchen on my behalf. I hope to be back in time.

A lovely sunny day. A bit of a back-ache but ready to put my feet up.

Logging off until tomorrow afternoon. Please take great care of yourselves. smile moon

Panache Thu 09-Aug-18 15:55:31

My dear supportive friends here taking time to think of me when really there was just an over abundance happening in my life,something these days my body does not adjust to very well,but I promised to put you in the picture and I only hope it does not bore you.Though perhaps it might be of interest mainly to those selling up and searching for a new home.

On Tuesday because we were unable to accomodate a new set of viewers until today,they apparantly were returning home, as they were cash buyers we decided to accomodate them at short notice.
I was almost seething thinking these both sets of viewers lined up this week were mere time wasters here on holiday and doing the odd spot of house hunting.We have been caught like this before.
When the couple arrived,he was bent over with snow white hair,hobbling and his wife not very much better,looking just as old, but probably even older than ourselves.
We were taken aback,immediately deciding that this quite big property and all its grounds would be far too big......as it is for us......at our age and with health issues.
However apart from our rayburn and conservatory inside there was little interest shown,however on walking the grounds the lady`s eyes lit up when she saw the length of the garden.....they have chickens and yes this would be ideal.......same with our double garage with loft,the gent became animated!!!He loves to potter!
We could not believe this but they have a big farm in mid Devon,some of their land taken up for the main Cornwall road........... so they have traffic noise the whole night through.
They had helped both son and daughter financially to buy properties some 3 miles away ......thus escaping what they called "The rat race" for the comparitive peace and freedom from crime here in Pembrokeshire.........and now they were wanting to follow them.So obviously very genuine.
Their one concern being the big move .......however certainly not a couple we have written off.

Yesterday it was a younger very fit couple with 2 daughters ......actually from this county but wishing to have a change of life,less hard work and more leisure,a swimming pool was on their wish list.The house recieved the usual praise, but then they both said they were not keen gardeners and although there is suitable room for a large swimming pool and all the usual trimmings outside,and still leave much garden........... that darn road runs alongside this land...............whilst they have no noise at all now,although nothing was mentioned,we think that this may well be unsuitable on that very point.
A very fortunate couple in that someone wishes to buy their property AND it is not even on the market!!!

So there are a few lessons here for all following in our tracks............we are ourselves still learning!
Then this followed by what I find most harrowing........an eye test.......my cataracts are bad but not yet "ripe" enough to need an `op.
I shall though need a mortgage for new specs....... as you all know they do not come cheaply.

So much activity the early part of the week was too much for me .......however once again I have managed and now it is another case of waiting to hear the verdict... when our Estate Agent get in touch with these two sets of viewers.

Pembrokeshire has a glut of very presentable properties from the small and cute to the mansions of note..... and plenty in between........here unfortunately, it is a buyers market and with so many choice properties to view, the buyers often take their time.

Whilst we folk that are selling are biting our nails!!

Carry on decluttering Nonna I think you may find, like ourselves........it gets addictive after a time!

soop Thu 09-Aug-18 14:46:19

Huge congratulations Gaga. That must have been a lovely surprise. Enjoy your treat.

Greyduster Your comment re husband feeling his plums made me laugh out loud.

NonnaW Deep breath and carry on de-cluttering. After which, feet up and chill.

Ann relish every moment that allows you to be yourself. You are a star.

I've done the mornings ironing. Had a coffee and have said hello to my Kitchener Granspals. Now we have to pack up the art that is to go into the art show. We take it to the village hall and register the items individually. Early evening we return to help with the hanging of all the exhibits.

soop Thu 09-Aug-18 14:36:40

Hello and welcome Grannynice, thank you for your kind words. Please lurk ye not. Come on in and join us lot.

Callgirl1 That is such a horrible thing to happen to anyone. You, of all people, deserve a happy conclusion to the mishap. That man, whoever he was, could so easily have taken the money to the police station. I guess that you haven't checked with the cops. If not, do so. He may have been a true and honest gent.

aggie Thu 09-Aug-18 14:03:57

Callgirl what a horrible experience , as said already , ring the Police in case it was handed in

aggie Thu 09-Aug-18 14:02:21

Ann I sympathise with you about the sitter situation , as you know I had sitters so I could go to Class and to Club , but I had to start in cooking or calming (both sometimes ) as soon as I came in , getting the house to yourself , come or go for a day is so much better . Make the most of it , xxx

Doodle Thu 09-Aug-18 13:52:20

Congratulations gaga. Hope you have a great time.

callgirl just a thought, did you phone the police? The man who picked up the money might (yes I know I am naive) have handed it in.

ann enjoy your few hours respite. I am sure DH will be well looked after and you need the break.

Panache Thu 09-Aug-18 13:35:12

Afternoon to you all,and as I have rather a monologue to share which might interest those of you thinking or actually in the process of selling up and moving on.....that will follow.....

But first let me just add my commiserations to that awful ordeal Callgirl.......I have never experienced such but I can quite understand how the whole incident would have completely thrown your mind into turmoil,and I am sure you felt exploited
I once left a gold watch (a gift) on the ledge of a toilet door at the seaside as I undressed,walked away forgetting it.On realising what had happened I feared as I returned the very worse, and true enough it had gone.
As I was coming out of the building obviously upset this lady questioned me.... as I briefly started telling her she stopped me and simply said....."Follow me" and there in her tent was my watch......and she had been on her way to the Toilets to pin up a notice saying she had the watch and where to find it.
A complete reversal to your sad story so there are some very honest people around.

A sad story Kitty and I can understand you felt very upset on returning home.......and had much on your mind.

Sorry to hear about your car break down GreyD........and I am sure you will soon be back in your usual bubbling good spirits.....its the aftermath of all that has happened whilst out and about enjoying a break..........but tiring too.

Lovely bit of news Gaga........and I am sure well deserved.
It lightens and brightens even our own days.

Whilst Ann very much in the forefront of my day, things look as though it may work out better for you with your new arrangement for your H.......just you grab those free hours..... and if you do not feel like “hitting the town” by all means sit back,feet up and a glass of what you fancy will help you to unwind just a little.

Trusting our birthday girl has recovered...........be back later

Greyduster Thu 09-Aug-18 12:16:42

Hello the kitchen. Glad you enjoyed your birthday Soop - even if tinged with momentary sadness. You are very photogenic - not something I have ever been unless I have a bag over my head grin!
N&G the last time we went to Hunstanton - a couple of years ago we called in on the way back from a north Norfolk weekend - I couldn’t even see the sea it was so far out! You could probably have walked across to Skegness and not got your feet wet (much)! I’m sorry you didn’t get a paddle, though. I love a good paddle. As for the sausage (who could refuse an offer like that!), DH has just gone off into the garden to -ahem - ?feel his plums! (I brought a couple in that had fallen off the tree and they seemed to be ready for picking!) I told him he could probably get arrested for it. I would send him a cake with a file in it!
Callgirl that’s a buggeration and no mistake! Where are all the honest people when you need them. I would find it very hard to be sanguine about it. ?
Ann however your free time presents itself, please do make the most of it in a way that gives you a chance to recoup your precious inner resources.
I had a horrible day yesterday - a day of post holiday blues, stresses and disappointments so I took myself off to bed early and slept for twelve hours. I feel a little more human this morning. We are off to pick up some tiles we ordered for the downstairs cloakroom, and stock up DD’s fridge with some bits and pieces for their return tomorrow.
I will look in later.

cornergran Thu 09-Aug-18 11:43:25

What good news gaga, really pleased for you.

That sounds a much better option ann, a neighbour found the same thing so you most certainly are not alone. For her being able to relax in her own home was priceless.

Bogged down with financial nonsense today, head is quietly exploding but this too will pass. Have one of the older grandchildren overnight and tomorrow so looking forward to a much lighter day smile

A shame about the beach n&g. I'm disappointed for you. As for the sausage grin. We had our rain yesterday, nice sunny morning here. I think 10 minutes in the garden is called for to clear the head.

You back to normal today soop? Or are the celebrations continuing?

Take care everyone.

NonnaW Thu 09-Aug-18 11:40:56

Not been in the kitchen for a couple of days, so I missed the fact of soop’s birthday so belated birthday greetings to you soop. Glad you had a lovely day, and what a lovely photo.
Commiserations callgirl that must have felt like a kick in the stomach. I remember 30 odd years ago, feeling really sick when we lost a £20note MIL had given us, heaven only knows how you felt at losing that amount. Plus, with the cash being in your passage, you might have hoped the man would have knocked on your door.
ann enjoy your day off and do find some time to relax.
panache sounds like you’ve had a hard time, hopefully things will look up soon. kitty what an absolute catalogue of bad news, it must have felt like one thing after another.
Our (young) EA came round yesterday, took measurements (again) and photos and will be contacting us soon re actually getting the house on the market. Meanwhile, we continue with the decluttering, with several trips to the tip, a skip to be ordered and good old fb (community page) helping to pass on a few things which others may make use of.
Sorry for the long post, hope I’ve not ignored anyone, but if so, please have some [cake] and flowers

Gagagran Thu 09-Aug-18 11:34:31

Just have to come in the kitchen, full of excitement because I have had an email from GNHQ to say that I have won 2-night stay at a Best Western Hotel! Can't believe it and am really chuffed!

annodomini Thu 09-Aug-18 10:30:55

soop, what a lovely way to spend your birthday. I'm glad it was such a happy day for you. You bring so much to other people (including ^us lot^) that you deserve all the happiness in the world.
call girl, you must still be feeling very low. It's difficult to put something like that loss behind you but I'm sure you will be able to do that eventually. ?
n&g, sorry Hunstanton beach was a disappointment for you but evidently the chips and ... er... sausages came up to expectation. It's may years since I've been on the North Norfolk coast, but as far as I remember it runs to big dunes rather than exciting rock pools. Let's hope you can find a beach you can manage which will also be fun for the GC.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion