Gransnet forums

Chat

Is Harry happy?

(230 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Tue 10-Jul-18 17:13:45

He has not been his usual smiley self in the news clips I've have seen over the last week or two, especially today on the balcony. Has anyone else thought the same?

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:15:12

I will say that I have learned a lot since joining GN Rosina!!
Mostly informative, interesting and sometimes shock

Rosina Thu 12-Jul-18 13:11:39

Jalima I do agree that some topics tend to cause a frenzy among the aforementioned 'excitable' posters! It has been said several times on GN that it is not pleasant to be hectored, insulted, or have your opinion shredded by someone snapping at your heels who happens to think differently but doesn't think that you should and, heaven forbid, express your opinion. The simple way is to not join in I suppose; another is to completely ignore ranting posts, but I can't be alone in feeling that those whose posts always read as if they are in red hot capital letters shouldn't be allowed to silence debate or put people off saying what they think. I have posted one or two comments in the past and others have disagreed and expressed an opinion (politely!) that has changed my mind - and feel the wiser for it. Some university debating societies now apparently won't allow speakers air time if they do not agree with what the guest is going to say; what price free speech, eh?

Willow500 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:03:17

The past decades since the war, particularly the sixties, seventies. eighties and nineties, presented so many opportunities for women who wanted to develop satisfying careers, and they particularly included those who failed to take advantage of their initial education, and those with young children and families to support. Sadly there are some of us to whom this did not apply. Equally there are some of us who have never had any desire to have a career but have had it thrust upon them due to circumstances beyond their control - I fall into both of these brackets.

I too find some of these comments spiteful and totally unnecessary. None of us have any say in what kind of lifestyle we are born into - be it poverty or wealth. Surely what matters more is what we chose to do with our lives and how happy and healthy we are.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 13:02:47

When did Buck House announce queenie had forbidden Megan to wear Jeans, link please

oldbatty Thu 12-Jul-18 12:49:40

blimey there are some rude people on here. Do you just lurk around waiting for the next scrap?

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 12:29:29

Put her tight jeans on ( the Queen has forbidden Kate to wear them in public)
Is that a verifiable fact Margaret?
Perhaps she just doesn't like them, I've never seen DD wear them either.
I'm not sure what a normal 36 year old is like - certainly I have one of those and she is not normal or average like many of her friends seem to be - which is married + children like Kate (but not wearing white or hats).

(sorry, not nit-picking, just curious! smile)

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 12:25:11

I doubt Harry and Megan abstained untill after their marriage BlueBell
Anniebach you're not suggesting shock that they (whispers) had pre-marital s*x?

BlueBelle Thu 12-Jul-18 11:35:54

Obviously people do care Gillybob or else there wouldn’t be threads and threads since he announced his marriage about how they ll be divorced in a year etc?and there would t be this thread either so not at all sure what you don’t understand about my post
It’s obviously you can’t stsnd the royals and that’s fine
I m not over interested either to be honest, I just don’t understand why people feel it’s their business to dissect every smile or frown with their own pessimistic and gloomy predictions

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 11:15:27

Thank you annep you are absolutely right. I really wanted to do some kind of social work when I left school and I really think I would have been good at it. But circumstances took over and I became a single parent at 18. As I was constantly reminded, "you make your bed and you lie in it" ! Working full time and living almost hand to mouth as a young mother made it impossible for me to retrain, go to college etc.

It's so easy for anyone to say just retrain.

MargaretX Thu 12-Jul-18 11:14:14

There have been a lot of true statements on this thread about Meghan, Harry and Kate.
I think Kate is not developing like a normal (how can she be) 36 year old. She loves to dress in pure white clothes for normal occasions even though she must be the only mother of 2 small childen and babe in arms who can leave the house looking like that.
When will the day come when these young women can leave their hats at home and just go to the church service.
Being Royal puts such an old fashioned stamp upon them and Megahn should start and break away. Put her tight jeans on ( the Queen has forbidden Kate to wear them in public) and an old sweater and go away to Canada or somewhere with Harry in his normal clothes and just do the happy things that just marrieds do.

I was able to do what I wanted at that age, be invisible if necessary, and realise now that I was very lucky.

annep Thu 12-Jul-18 10:53:23

eazybea circumstances do not always allow someone to retrain or try to do something better. My daughter has two young children and would love to do that. But she can't. She is not by a long chalk the only one in that situation. Gillybob its hard doing a job you hate. I was in public service. Sometimes I hated a particular post and it was extremely stressful. From research I believe the majority of people don't like their job.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 10:03:06

I can't remember the last time I was photographed
Old woman but it was years ago. Why would anyone want to take a picture of an ugly sod like me?

Being photographed is part of being a royal and a very small price to pay for the lifestyle it brings them.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 09:57:01

I doubt Harry and Megan abstained untill after their marriage BlueBell and not all who have posted on this thread have said he is sad.

merlotgran Thu 12-Jul-18 09:54:01

Not you, gilly

merlotgran Thu 12-Jul-18 09:49:06

Yet another hectoring lecture. hmm

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 09:48:04

I don’t understand your post BlueBelle does anyone even care who he or any of the royals marry ( with the exception of themselves obviously) . Why should we ? What difference does it make to any of our lives ?

BlueBelle Thu 12-Jul-18 09:40:15

For crying out loud For years and blooming years everyone has castigated Harry for being fun loving, not taking life seriously letting, the side down, sowing his wild oats, playing the fool Now he is older and settled and a married man within a few shorts weeks you ve all decided he’s sad, down trodden, too serious, and obviously unhappy
Just listen to yourselves
Leave him and Meghan alone to do what they need to do
Its outrageous that you have all written him off because he’s married someone most of you ( if you’re honest) don’t approve of I expect he’s enormously happy and probably worn out from all the sex they re having ?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 09:30:01

Sadly “dislike” Isn’t a strong enough word for my job eazybee I absolutely hate it !

I blame no one but my self for my situation so not looking for sympathy .

eazybee Thu 12-Jul-18 09:13:17

I am shocked by your last post, Gillybob
Why are you doing a job you apparently dislike so much?

The past decades since the war, particularly the sixties, seventies. eighties and nineties, presented so many opportunities for women who wanted to develop satisfying careers, and they particularly included those who failed to take advantage of their initial education, and those with young children and families to support.

Simply through parents of pupils I know a woman with five children who trained as a lawyer, a TA who returned to complete her abandoned nursing training, a secretary who is now a qualified doctor, women who have trained as teachers, hairdressers, beauticians, an accountant, a dental nurse and a veterinary nurse. All these women, bar one, were single divorced parents on low incomes.

Why don't you find the work you do satisfying and fulfilling?

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 09:12:15

They cannot forget what happened to the Duke of Windsor and there were no paparazzi then.

Oldwoman70 Thu 12-Jul-18 09:06:21

But gillybob I doubt you are photographed every time you leave the house or your dress sense, looks and marriage discussed by complete strangers. I know you will say they can retire from public life but do you really think they would be left alone to do that? They would still be photographed and criticised at every turn. You have a choice to change your life - the RF don't.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 09:02:19

Harry will cheer up soon, they have a tour of several commonwealth countries coming up, lots of cameras and he will not have to share the attention.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 08:05:53

I spend 30+ hours every week of my life wishing I was elsewhere maddy629 as do probably hundreds of thousands, millions even, of other people. It’s called going to work. So they have to stand on s balcony for a few minutes watching a flypast. Must be terrifically hard for them . Maybe 40 hours on a factory production line every week might cheer them up .

maddy629 Thu 12-Jul-18 06:34:45

I hadn't noticed Harry looking less than happy but I have noticed the Duchess of Cambridge looking less than happy on occasion. She looked miserable at the wedding and on the balcony during the flypast. I think that like all of us the royals have days when they would rather be elsewhere and that is all it is. I hope that Harry and Meghan are very happy together.

crazyH Wed 11-Jul-18 23:21:39

Yes, I do think he has lost some of that sparkle. But he is older now, he is a married man now, and who knows , will probably soon be a Dad. Basically. He has matured