Gransnet forums

Chat

Horrid neighbour

(42 Posts)
AlgeswifeVal Mon 16-Jul-18 19:41:57

On Sunday afternoon my plants, tomato, runner beans and flower borders were wilting. The temperature was 30c as it was practically all over the country. I used the hose pipe on my plants. Suddenly my next door neighbour called me to the fence and got really aggressive because some water had sprayed over the fence in to his garden. I was amazed at his attitude. I said to him 'are you for real, you are having a pop at me because I accidentally sprayed a few drop of water in your garden'. He just carried on ranting at me. I finished what I was doing and stopped listening to him. He wouldn't have shouted if it was my husband doing the watering.

Nonnie Sat 21-Jul-18 09:55:34

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gardeners-using-water-butts-risk-spreading-legionella-germ-k3b2lndp8

I think you can sign up to read the whole thing without charge.

Jalima1108 Fri 20-Jul-18 19:13:49

Thank you for that information Nonnie.

And of course, standing water encourages mozzies who look for stagnant water to breed.

Alexa Fri 20-Jul-18 18:45:01

Nonnie, how interesting! I wish there was more scientific news on Gransnet.

Sometimes it sounds like the bickering of a lot of old sweetie wives.

focused1 Fri 20-Jul-18 10:41:56

Just got similar info about water - hose pipe ban but no reduction for obeying

Nonnie Fri 20-Jul-18 10:31:14

Slightly off thread but of interest to anyone with a water butt. In the Sunday Times this week there was an article about Legionella in water butts, I think it was 97% of those tested had it. Not a problem if you use a watering can apparently but some water butts are fitted with a device which allows you to use a hose and that is very dangerous. It is the particles which get sprayed into the air which pass on the bugs.

Nonnie Fri 20-Jul-18 10:28:48

Not sure it is so bad to sprinkle the garden if you live in an area where there is no shortage, we do but have not yet resorted to the sprinkler as we have a water meter and are frugal. Everyone in our area is obliged to have a water meter which might be why we have no shortage.

Nonnie Fri 20-Jul-18 10:26:40

and now I have seen your second post Jal. Apologised in haste instead of reading on. Anyway a second apology is not wasted so I'm sorry.

Nonnie Fri 20-Jul-18 10:25:27

OOps Jalima JAL was an abbreviation of the person who was being unpleasant NOT YOU! So sorry, should have thought that it could appear that way. flowers

I could just ignore it but decided a little while back to never be bullied or accept nastiness ever again.

Marthjolly1 Fri 20-Jul-18 08:27:20

Weve been saving water too for a couple of weeks and being quite frugal watering tubs and baskets. When visiting my daughter down South last week I was horrified when looking out if the bedroom window to see her neighbours back lawn looking extremely thick, lush and emerald. They put the sprinkler on every evening for an hour!

MamaCaz Fri 20-Jul-18 07:32:45

Grannyactivist Tue 17-Jul-18 09:44:03
If you were watering plants during the heat of the afternoon perhaps your neighbour was concerned that his plants would be scorched.

Or he was doing a spot of nude sunbathing and was worried that his 'veg' would be scorched grin

OldMeg Thu 19-Jul-18 21:15:21

Well Algeswife you really should aim better.

LynneB59 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:36:18

The neighbour seemed to have over-reacted a bit. Perhaps you could water your plants in the evening?

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:01:56

sorry, Nonnie, I realise now that you are referring to JustALaugh and not me.

Some posters refer to me as Jal - perhaps I should change my name as I would not want to get mixed up with JustALaugh!

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Jul-18 20:00:24

Nonnie - I was defending you so why are you having a go at me?
confused

watermeadow Thu 19-Jul-18 18:28:45

The water companies waste more water than their customers use, so I’m still watering selectively but watering is best done in the evening or early morning. On a hot afternoon all the water will have evaporated quickly.

Nonnie Thu 19-Jul-18 13:44:21

No JAL just not nasty. Perhaps you could reflect that 2 people saw fit to comment about what you said. Have you not heard the expression "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"?

Alexa Thu 19-Jul-18 13:44:10

I feel really cheered up by those grans who replied saying have been frugal with water quite voluntarily. I've been saving water and it feels good to know others do it too .

JustALaugh Thu 19-Jul-18 13:39:50

Ooh dear, there are some sensitive souls on here....

Nonnie Thu 19-Jul-18 13:36:08

Thanks Jalima and Chewbacca. I thought we were not supposed to be rude about each other on here. If JustALaugh thinks it is OK to call someone they don't know a moron I doubt any of the more intelligent or sensitive on here will take a lot of notice. Such comments lead one to ignore future posts by the person concerned. I'm glad most on here are nicer natured.

Rachel711 Thu 19-Jul-18 08:54:23

Perhaps he's got hydrophobia?

Rachel711 Thu 19-Jul-18 08:53:15

Silly man, what does he he do when it rains? Scream at God or have a nervous breakdown? He needs carting off to the Sahara.

Iam64 Thu 19-Jul-18 08:47:36

That's shocking Chewbacca - we haven't watered the lawn at all this summer. I'll be sorry not to be able to use the hose to water the tubs and hanging baskets because lifting a standard size watering can up to hanging baskets is difficult for me. A friend uses a mini watering can for the baskets, I plan to use the children's watering cans I bought for the toddlers to use when they "helped" me in the garden.
It's been obvious for several weeks that we'd have a water shortage and most of us have anticipated that, so stopped cleaning paths, watering lawns or using the Kercher

Chewbacca Wed 18-Jul-18 21:02:24

Im in complete agreement with Nonnie. The hosepipe ban in our area begins on 5th August but one of my neighbours is still using a sprinkler on his lawns most evenings. Water wastage affects us all. Sorry not to have been a barrel of laughs.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:55:33

Nonnie sounds a barrel of laughs, too
No, just sensible and sounds as if she has a social conscience too.

JustALaugh Wed 18-Jul-18 20:53:38

Nonnie sounds a barrel of laughs, too