Gransnet forums

Chat

Bits of useful information

(54 Posts)
NanKate Wed 25-Jul-18 07:35:00

When I bought a Travelcard to use on the train and underground on Monday I put it in my bag next to my IPhone and it stopped the Travelcard working in the machines to get you through each part of the journey. The helpful BR man said the metal strip on the back of the card was invalidated by the mobile.

Do you have any useful or fun bits of advice to make life easier ?

Newatthis Fri 27-Jul-18 11:56:55

Same happens with hotel room cards.

Nonnie Fri 27-Jul-18 11:47:08

What has been described as the NHS hospital tests is what happened at Specsavers and, yes, they do provide the batteries free, you just take your little card to any Specsavers and they give you the batteries.

DH and I have had hearing aids for over three years but never a brown book, how do we get one of those.

For all the nit-pickers, I, like many others, posted in a hurry and perhaps my meaning was not clear. I think most of us have posted quickly at one time or another. I intended to suggest that anyone over 55 should get a hearing test, even if they think they don't need one. To flesh that out - age related hearing loss is gradual and you probably don't notice it yourself but others around you will do but may be too polite to comment. I hope that is now clear and will end the discussion on whether it is appropriate for older people to get hearing tests. If not, just get over it please and talk about something that matters.

Helen2806 Thu 26-Jul-18 21:00:22

So following on from advice on this thread, my husband, who is deaf, applied for his railcard and it has just come through on line. We didn’t know about his,
Thank
you grans netters.

pollyperkins Thu 26-Jul-18 18:41:48

The Boots free hearing tests are exactly as you describe Franbern. I think if they find a serious problem you have to pay for further tests though. This is just a primary screen.

kittylester Thu 26-Jul-18 15:16:40

Not all Boots and Specsavers do NHS hearing tests - they are not funded to do it round here so be careful that you don't end up paying for a private one.

pollyperkins Thu 26-Jul-18 14:08:31

Actually I agree, Ruby. That's how I read it too. And I'm careful not to criticise individuals as a rule. Perhaps we misunderstood the 'even if you are not having a problem' bit?

Jane43 Thu 26-Jul-18 12:53:36

If you use a contactless card there is a daily cap on what you will be charged regardless of how many journeys you make.
The amount differs from £6.80 in zone 1 to £12.50 in zones 1-6. I found this really useful when I took my granddaughter to London for a few days three years ago.

rubytut Thu 26-Jul-18 12:17:09

I feel the need to explain my self as people are not reading the original post.
Nonnies post read

"anyone over the age of 55 is entitled to a free hearing test and free hearing aids so even if you are not having a problem, if you travel by train a lot it may be worthwhile getting the aids"

that says to me, get hearing aids even if you dont need them to get a cheap railcard.

I think some people comment when they have not read the whole thread.

Tweedle24 Thu 26-Jul-18 10:31:30

Rubytut. Just because you take the free hearing test does not mean you automatically get hearing aids.
I have had annual checks for some time and until two years ago had perfect hearing. However, at that time, it was discovered that my hearing was deteriorating. I now have aids which are a godsend to my family members who were fed up with having to repeat what they had said or put up with noisy TV and radio.

Franbern Thu 26-Jul-18 10:20:13

As this Thread is useful Tips - I am putting one about domestic water. I am registered on Thames Water 'WaterSure' scheme. This is a special scheme for those who have certain on-going medical conditions which require perhaps more water than most people.
I have been on this for some years, - you do have to provide appropriate medical prove - although it states it gives me aid towards my water bills - that on kicks in at a certain expediture level which, thankfully, I have never reached.
However, a week ago a ring at my doorbell and there was a lady from Thames Water checking up on me as there had been a mains burst in my area and a couple of times some streets had been without any water for a few hours. Fortunately, it had not affected me. However, she was calling on all registered WaterSure users in the area to check we were okay, insisted on giving me a pack of six large 'Courtesy' bottles of water, and told me that if I ever had any problems about water,, just to phone them and they would have someone around to ensure I had an adequate supply for my needs.

Franbern Thu 26-Jul-18 10:12:15

I have needed and used (NHS) hearing aids in both ears for some years now. A few years back I discovered that this entitled me to apply for and receive a Disabled Travel card for the railway - which is cheaper than the Senior Citizens one. I have used this when purchasing train tickets to visit children on several occasions. Usually, when the ticket inspector comes along the train checking our tickets they ask me if I am okay and do I need any further assistance. The brown book is what is required to purchase this Disability card.
I have no idea what the hearing tests carried out by private companies (Boots, etc) are like, but when I have mine at the Audiology dept at my local hospital, it mainly involves me sitting with things over my ears saying when I can hear different noises and that information is fed directly into the computer the operative is using. You would have to be extremely knowledgeable as to how this all works to be able to cheat it in any way.
I have always found the NHS audiology brilliant. Not only do they provide appropriate aids for me, but also any repairs and I can also get the batteries for these aids at a local hospital centre - without any further charge. Last time I attended when one of my hearing aids had broken I was told that they are now using an even smaller aid, and they have booked me in for a new test after which (if I am suitable) I will receive these new tiny hearing aids. Changed a lot since I had my first ones some 15 years ago

Elegran Thu 26-Jul-18 10:07:43

You have the posters mixed up, Jenni123 I was not the one who first mentioned getting a travel pass because you had a hearing aid. I posted later to say that you would not get a hearing aid to start with on the NHS just because you asked for one so as to get a travel pass. You would have to have hearing tests. Also I think I remember the post you refer to saying "Even if you have no problems . . ." We all know people who claim to have no hearing problems, but are always asking others to speak up and stop mumbling.

jenni123 Thu 26-Jul-18 10:00:31

rubytut I read the comment the same as you and I also thought Elegran was suggesting getting free hearing aids when maybe they were not needed just to get cheaper travel which is awful, as stated, the NHS is already struggling. Yes I do wear hearing aids as a necessity and have never tried to get cheaper travel because of it.

Lilylaundry Thu 26-Jul-18 09:54:01

If you live in the North East of England, the bus company Arriva have a Teen Card. This card entitles children from 5 to 19 years old to travel on any Arriva bus for £1 per journey after a certain time (I cannot remember the exact time) during the evening , all weekends and school holidays.

For my grand daughter the single half fare from her home to mine did cost me £2.60, with her Teen Card it only costs £1.

A form has to be down loaded from Arriva's North East web site, filled in and, together with copy of birth certificate and a passport sized photo (a school photo is accepted) sent off to the address given. It doesn't cost anything for the card. If I remember rightly it took about three weeks for the Teen Card to arrive.

I think Arriva only does this in the North East of England but other bus companies may have a similar scheme in other parts of the country.

Petersgirl2 Wed 25-Jul-18 21:53:53

Eilyann70 Thanks for this information, I did not know this and have just phoned to confirm and discovered I am indeed eligible. Thanks again

GabriellaG Wed 25-Jul-18 21:40:45

I remember a neighbour's son, Richard Dent, (he's not 'with us' any more) playing with my brother in our garden one summer and asking to look at the ladybird on the back of my hand through his magnifying glass. I still have a small white 1/4" scar 63 years on.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jul-18 20:45:24

I think Nonnie did Jalima

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Jul-18 20:39:18

Heyho, its only a forum, not real people
grin we're all figments of GN's imagination!

Peep Wed 25-Jul-18 20:00:28

My mum is on her 2nd lot of NHS hearing aids. When seeing an audiology consultant at the hospital she was told she didn’t need hearing aids as her hearing was fine!! The consultant couldn’t understand why mum had been given 1 pair, much less 2. So NHS hearing aids do get issued when not needed. This was only a few weeks ago. She has never worn either pair!!!

CrazyGrandma2 Wed 25-Jul-18 18:13:16

My understanding is that you are entitled to a disabled person's railcard provided your hearing aids are NHS aids. Another person travelling with you gets the same discount. You just need to produce the brown book to prove entitlement. Apart from the discount you can also use this card at any time of the day, unlike a network card, and you can travel anywhere in the country with it. It is also cheaper to buy than a network railcard.

For some reason privately bought hearing aids do not qualify.

pollyperkins Wed 25-Jul-18 17:50:47

Keeping not keeling

pollyperkins Wed 25-Jul-18 17:50:28

Does keelung your car keys near your phone have an effect? Often wondered.

woodlark Wed 25-Jul-18 17:30:16

Some years ago on a cruise, I found that my cabin door swipe card didn't work. After some hoo-ha with the reception desk, I was given another card, which also didn't work, then a different cabin. I then found the reason both cards didn't work was because I had kept them in a small handbag with a magnetic clasp.

After putting the (3rd) card in a different handbag, no more problems! Beware of magnetic clasps on bags.

Magrithea Wed 25-Jul-18 17:23:03

I've found those card keys you get in a lot of hotels have to be kept away from phones and tablets or they stop working!

Nonnie Wed 25-Jul-18 17:13:52

Don't know what we did wrong last time we were in London chrissy but we travelled together and both used our credit cards, one of us was charged £15 the other £4.70!

Don't think so Elegran think some people just like having a go! I used to just ignore it but recently decided I would no longer be passive and now I bite back. I was once quite badly bullied and have suddenly decided I don't need to be nice unnecessarily. Heyho, its only a forum, not real people grin.