Gransnet forums

Chat

Who was your first crush?

(115 Posts)
NanKate Tue 07-Aug-18 21:37:30

On Radio Southern Counties last night this was the question posed to the listeners, there were some very funny answers.

Was your first crush a film star and did you put their photo up on the wall ? I can’t remember his name but I had a cowboy from Laramie on my wall.

Was it the papergirl or boy or someone at school?

Lyndiloo Sun 12-Aug-18 00:25:31

Jess Conrad! (*lemongrove*) He lived in Dulwich right near the comprehensive school which I attended. At lunch-times a gaggle of girls would go and stand outside his house, hoping to catch a glimpse of him. He sometimes came out to speak to us (screams!!!) I bet we really got on his nerves.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 18:01:55

Oh yes. David Essex was lovely looking!

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Aug-18 17:18:11

Oh yes, David Essex. I saw him in panto back in the 90s. We were in a box and I had the perfect view straight down onto his bald patch. He was still adorable, with those twinkly eyes. smile I think he’s become a father again fairly recently.

DanniRae Sat 11-Aug-18 10:07:43

Oh, how could I have forgotten Davis Essex? And he is still fanciable now - unlike Paul Nicholas who most definitely is not. (But when I saw him on a programme recently seems like a good bloke.)

Coolgran65 Sat 11-Aug-18 02:15:37

David Essex that gorgeous raspy voice.
Billy Fury, all over my school books

Of late, Sam Elliott....just everything
Elvis of course, in the black leather gear days.
Robert de Niro
Steve McQueen
My first boyfriend in his pale blue skin tight jeans.

Present day, Gillian Murphy of Peaky Blinders if I was half my age.
Larry Lamb is quite tasty.

mymadeupname Fri 10-Aug-18 23:13:35

Adam Adamant - tearing around in that cloak.
James Coburn (I was terribly envious of Lynsey de Paul).
The dark haired bloke with the moustache - hang on, it'll come to me... Yes! Peter Wyngarde.
Elvis (when he was young).
Dirk Bogarde - he wasn't gay then, I swear.
Cliff
The singer in Smokie.
Davy Jones
David Essex
The bloke who worked in Foster Bros on the corner of the high street. The number of times I had to go in there and browse at shirts and ties... blush
My husband. Fed up being ignored by the Foster Bros guy I ventured into the hardware store and developed a sudden interest in power tools. grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Aug-18 22:16:15

Oh Luckygirl, now look what you’ve gone and made me do! sad

Luckygirl Fri 10-Aug-18 21:35:59

I see I am not alone in this. But do not google him as he now looks rubbish!

Luckygirl Fri 10-Aug-18 21:30:06

David McCallum as Illya Kuryakin in The Man fromUncle.

TerriBull Fri 10-Aug-18 21:15:47

I know Lemongrove! but in my defence I got it all out my system when I was young, it's all a lot quieter these days. Right now I'm watching Monty Don, but I'm really more interested in his dog than him grin

joannapiano Fri 10-Aug-18 21:02:31

My first crush was my Biology teacher when I was 13. He must have been about 30 and was tall with lovely dark floppy hair. I was small and skinny with very short hair as my Mum had this thing about me catching nits. I used to stand outside his house at weekends. Bit of a stalker I suppose.
My crush now is Brad Pitt. I mean, just look at him! Though he’s just a bit older than my daughter, I don’t care.

lemongrove Fri 10-Aug-18 20:46:54

Terri.....you harlot you! grin
I only named one ( but am now thinking of others.)

TerriBull Fri 10-Aug-18 20:12:00

Mine went something like this, Paul McCartney, well all of the Beatles really, but he was my favourite and I wanted to marry him, along with a few million others but I was about 8 or so at the time. I remember not liking the greasy hair of Teddy Boys and Elvis, the Beatles came along with their mop top hair and that did it for me. After Macca came Scott Walker, his poster graced the inside of my desk, first year of seniors, I'm surprised the nuns didn't get us to take our poster down. Then Davy Jones, I did quite fancy Jim Morrison of The Doors cos he looked all mean and moody, but it seems like Byron he was bad and dangerous to know. Then there were another succession of Mod like lead singers from the Small Faces/Amen Corner/Love Affair, and God I think Rod Stewart was in there somewhere which is strange because he irritates the hell out of me now. I fell instantly in love with Warren Beatty when a few friends and I sneaked into our first X rated film "Bonnie and Clyde" aged about 14 or so. In the seventies it was Al Pacino, loved him in The Godfather, I've always had a penchant for Italian men, but an Italian American will do. Of late I quite liked Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp, before he went all weird and thought Russell Crowe was quite alright when he did Gladiator, but saw a picture of him recently and thought eugh he's really gone to pot. The last actor that floated my boat was probably Matthew Rhys, Welsh actor who seems to work more in America these days, has been in "The Americans" for a while played Dylan Thoma in a film called "The Edge of Love"s and was very handsome in "Death Comes To Pemberley".....so many! I'll probably think of a few I've forgotten.

callgirl1 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:52:50

Jess Conrad was always too full of himself, but he WAS good looking!

lemongrove Fri 10-Aug-18 14:32:26

Jess Conrad ( swoon)
However, saw him and his wife on Escape To The Country about ten years ago, what a pompous podgy pair!

giulia Fri 10-Aug-18 13:14:16

Adam Faith. My mother Always swore that my first husband looked much like him but I couldn't see it. Sorry he died.

goldengirl Fri 10-Aug-18 12:32:06

Ah yes. Also Adam Cartwright in Bonanza.
At school I had a crush on a prefect - and when I refused to go outside at lunch time [it was freezing] and he gave me a detention, I was thrilled to bits!!!!!

Witzend Fri 10-Aug-18 07:48:33

Rowdy Yates for me, too.
However I finally went right off him years ago - he'd been due to come to the UK for something or other but the eternal 'tough guy' was scared off by some terrorist action here - too chicken to get on a plane!

Lyndiloo Fri 10-Aug-18 01:29:04

My first crush - at 12 or 13? - was my English teacher, a Mr. Lawton. I can still see his lovely, handsome face ... He made a 'pet' of me, because I always came top in English. (Or did I always come top, because he made a pet of me??? Looking back, I think that this was probably the case.) He wanted me to stay on at school to take my O-level English, but no, I had to leave at 15 to get out to work! (I eventually passed my A-levels in English Language and Literature.)

I'm now a writer, playwright and poet. I've had plays broadcast on Radio 4, stage plays in Stratford-on-Avon and locally, stories published in magazines, and have recently published a poetry book. (Not blowing my own trumpet, of course! wink Well, somebody has to!) And all down to a crush on my wonderful English teacher, I think ...?

Thank you, Mr. Lawton, wherever you are now. flowers Still a little bit in love with you ...

AlieOxon Thu 09-Aug-18 18:34:17

The very earliest? The older girl who rescued me from being bullied in the playground at Parkway Primary School. But if I ever did know her name I've forgotten it!

I later graduated to - Dan Dare in the Eagle.....

millymouge Thu 09-Aug-18 17:50:30

Oh I loved Adam Faith, my friend and I were potty about him. Many years later I remember going out to a very posh restaurant for dinner one evening and someone saying that he had died that day. Although I was a lot older then it quite spoilt my evening.

Willow500 Thu 09-Aug-18 17:49:46

Celebrities I had a few - my bedroom wall had pictures of Amen Corner, The Small Faces, The Monkees all taken from the centre fold of some magazine - I don't think I read Jackie so I don't know where I got them from. In real life it was the paper boy who was a couple of years older than me - I used to stand on the window seat in our flat (I lived above a shop) and wait from him to appear round the corner on his bike. Funnily enough I finally went out with his friend and went right off him grin I also had a huge crush on my other half when we were 13 - he was the typical bad boy in the class always in trouble, never wore a uniform and got sent to the head every day for not getting his hair cut. He wasn't interested back then but 2 years later we ended up together by chance - that was nearly 50 years ago - gulp!!

M0nica Thu 09-Aug-18 17:35:35

I cannot remember ever having a crush on any singer or actor. I certainly never had any pictures on my wall.

I preferred Adam Faith to Cliff Richard and Mick Jagger to any of the Beetles, but never got beyond that.

Niobe Thu 09-Aug-18 17:27:09

Ty Hardin played Bronco Laine in the series 'Bronco'. I think he died recently.

lexigran Thu 09-Aug-18 17:15:15

Paul Newman for me, those blue eyes .........