Gransnet forums

Chat

Online shopping

(58 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 18:47:14

I think it may be time that I bite the bullet and do my shopping online.
It seems a fair few people do, and I'm wondering how easy (or hard!) it is, and who you shop with, please?

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Aug-18 17:02:42

I've done my grocery shop online for years, and because we use Tesco, Sainsburys and Ocado we are always sent discount vouchers to use, sometimes just 7 pounds off a shop, often as much as 12. Midweek deliveries and Click & Collect mean we never pay above a pound for delivery/collection. We've tried Asda (not impressed) and Morrisons, who were good, but have never sent us any offers after the first shop. Tesco is my favourite - they always have plenty of online offers and are very efficient. They also price-check and are very generous with substitutions, so we often get more than we ordered for the same price. We still buy the bulk of our fresh food locally, and have our milk delivered.

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 16:44:32

We have a market every Saturday and that is so true Maw. The fresh, usually in season veg, is almost given away..

I love the Chocolate Market we have once a year!

MawBroon Fri 17-Aug-18 09:15:08

Exactly Old Meg plus a potter round a Farmers’ Market when you feel like it.
My experience of the local weekly market that if you go after lunch but before they pack up, there are some fantastic bargains as they are virtually “giving” the fresh veg away!

OldMeg Fri 17-Aug-18 06:55:01

Online shopping is great for heavy or bulky items. You could just use it monthly to stock up on these, if you’ve room to store and still visit shops to choose your vegetables, fruit, meat etc..

Best of both worlds

Melanieeastanglia Thu 16-Aug-18 21:36:08

I think online shopping must be a boon for people who can't get out and about but I like to go into town and see people. I quite enjoy shopping for food too.

fourormore Thu 16-Aug-18 21:14:14

We regularly use Iceland home delivery but go into the store - I prefer to pick out what we want and often change my mind while there, but like other posters we struggle to carry everything now that the car has gone to Corsa-heaven!
We have the best of both worlds this way - no substitutions, option to change mind and we only need to spend £25 to get free home delivery with a choice of time slots for delivery.
They also sell the heavy or bulky goods such as potatoes and loo rolls so the home delivery is a real help to us.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Aug-18 21:04:37

Thank you.
It came, and I've been pleased with the quality.
Just one substitution, (I got a more expensive item for the same price) and some grapes which are close to the sell by date.
I can live with that. smile

seacliff Thu 16-Aug-18 20:52:41

I love the delivery for the heavy bulky items. I still like having a relaxing wander in my local shops, to choose my own fruit and veg. It makes it more enjoyable just to get a few bits, and it's good to get out and meet people.

I got my Asda order tonight, and there was one substitution of bread, quite OK.

I hope your delivery works out well Miss Adventure.

MissAdventure Wed 15-Aug-18 08:45:07

I've mostly ordered bleach, toilet rolls, juice, and all the things which are so cumbersome to carry.
Lots of lovely sounding salad and fruit, too.
I have a 2 hour delivery time for this evening, and it cost me just a pound.
smile
Lets see how it pans out.

Charleygirl Wed 15-Aug-18 08:33:43

I have tried most but I am using Morrisons on line at present. I have recently had major surgery so the fellow kindly brings everything through to my kitchen and I can unpack there. I am informed on line the rare occasions that there is a substitution.

I frequently get a lot of bargains. I have stopped ordering a loaf of bread because of the short use by date.

When I was with Sainsbury I ordered cat litter tray liners but received ladies panty liners. Not quite what I wanted.

Another time with Sainsbury there were 13 items missing- I rang to discover that the picker had a nervous breakdown but nobody took over. I was compensated

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 08:18:49

I enjoy using both and my online “shop” of choice is Ocado. No substitutions, a 30 minute delivery window which they always meet, and friendly delivery men and women who bring my shopping into the kitchen. I haven’t quite worked out how to get them to put it away in the cupboards, but hope springs eternal.....
Other weeks I enjoy a trip to Waitrose, a cup of coffee and so often bump into someone I know. Then there is the weekly market on Thursdays.
We are so lucky nowadays to have all these options available to us. My mum used to trek into town every day to do her shopping like the Mum in the Ladybird books, carrying everything home in two large shopping bags which I often got lumbered with as an unwilling teenager.

Gma29 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:15:33

I like Ocado, I found the website straightforward and they were reliable. Generally less substitutions too. I find the Asda site a bit tedious, it seems to take ages.

I have used the money supermarket site too, as it compares the cost across the supermarkets.

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 08:14:26

Who are not "short on time, unwell or ordering huge amounts of shopping."

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 08:13:20

Or those (like me) who are none of those things but who are not as young as we used to be, have no car and whose road home is up a steep hill. I only shop for one but a normal weekly shop is too much to carry home. Even with just a few odd things I pause to "admire someone's garden" more than once on the way up, and if I also had several tins, cartons of milk and juice, a bag of flour, potatoes and other veg and so on I would never make it to the front gate.

MissAdventure Wed 15-Aug-18 08:05:51

That's a very good point.
Interacting when I'm out and about down town has always been something I've enjoyed.
I'm hoping i'll get to still go for a browse, now that I won't be weighed down by heavy bags.

travelsafar Wed 15-Aug-18 08:02:48

I feel food shopping online is brilliant for those short on time, unwell or ordering huge amounts of shopping.Personally I enjoy my weekly shop at the supermarket, I always bump into someone I know and have a chat, the shop assistants know who I am and engage in chat if not too busy, plus i like to go to a couple of other shops before i go to the supermarket and pick up items that are on offer or lower in price. I always do my banking on shopping day as well and again because i go into the bank every week they know who i am and it make the whole thing more enjoyable for me, I feel like part of the local community which is important as you get older. When i miss my trip to the bank if i've been unwell they alway enquire where were you last week and are you ok now, it's a lovely feeling.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:32:20

That posted too soon, I wasn't done with being smug thinking about how I won't have to struggle.
I downloaded the Asda app, and bobs your uncle.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:30:44

Well, I have just ordered a shop from Asda smile

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:39:31

I did it when my husband was ill and I couldn’t get out. I didnt much like the substitutions. Skimmed milk for full fat, chicken thighs instead of organic breast, oranges instead of satsumas, easy spread butter instead of block. The list goes on!

Then I tried it the Christmas before last and ended with so many fairly vital things not available that I had to go out and do a shop anyway.

Now I live in town I just buy what I need on a daily basis and find that’s the cheapest and best.

callgirl1 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:27:56

We used Asda for a few years, were quite satisfied, then they let us down at Christmas about 3 years ago, and hubby said no more, try Tesco, and I`ve been with Tesco ever since. The delivery drivers are great, very helpful, but their website does have a tendency to sometimes add things on, or take things away, which can be frustrating. I once got 24 swiss rolls instead of one, and luckily once spotted that one bunch of bananas had changed to 99 bunches, I saw it just before clicking to send the order through!

cornergran Sat 11-Aug-18 21:15:15

Morrison’s deliver from the depot here, so substitutions are rare and can always been handed back to the driver or taken to a store. Suspect no delivery option is perfect and do vary from area to area. Definitely worth a try though.

seacliff Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:39

Meant to say, with Asda, if you are new to Delivery Pass you can now trial it for free for 31 days when you purchase a 6 or 12 month pass. Once the free trial expires you will automatically move onto the pass you have selected. If you change your mind during the free trial and either wish to cancel or switch to a different pass you can do so at any time.

seacliff Sat 11-Aug-18 21:10:23

I use Asda, but not for some fresh salad and some meat. I prefer to go and choose that myself locally.

Some moan about Asda but for me they have been fine for several years. I get an text message saying when they are near, and an email if there are substitutions. They will charge the lesser price if they give me something dearer.

I signed up for a yearly pass, which currently costs £24 per annum, ie £2 per month, which for me is a bargain as I have quite a bit of heavy cat food etc.

For that, I can have a delivery each week if I want, anytime on Tuesday/Wednesday or Thursday. You choose a 2 hour slot. You must spend a Minimum of £40 per delivery.

The other thing people sometimes miss is Asda Price Guarantee. You register and can compare last 3 shops with other supermarkets. Sometimes I will get several £ back off a shop.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 20:50:29

Thank you all.
I'm going to take the plunge, I think.
Just have to decide who to use.
£100 would be quite hard for me to part with, though I could do it fortnightly.

mumofmadboys Sat 11-Aug-18 20:30:04

I use Sainsburys and find them excellent. Would hate to go back to big supermarket shops. If you spend a hundred pounds then delivery is free. I order everything I want and then top up to £100 with loo rolls, tea bags and stamps so never pay for delivery.