Gransnet forums

Chat

Partial Denture

(8 Posts)
jill36 Fri 17-Aug-18 11:22:18

Does anyone here have 1 of these.
I am having my 2 top front teeth out next Thursday after an accident I had in the bath on July 14th. I will be fitted with the partial denture immediately.
Is there anyone here who can talk me through their experiences please.

Fennel Fri 17-Aug-18 11:38:13

Accident in the bath! Poor you. I've given up on baths now, similar reason.
I have what I call a 'plate' with one front tooth and a few back ones. Not sure if that's the same. Back in 2005, so can't remember the details.
I don't think it took long, first the bad tooth was removed, it was dead anyway. Perhaps your extractions will be different.
Then an impression on some stuff like bluetack. The dentist I was with had a workshop on the premises where they made the plate, and I got it the next day.
The front tooth that was added has never looked exactly right, sticks out too much, and not a good colour match. But I just wanted to finish, so I accepted it.

FlexibleFriend Fri 17-Aug-18 11:43:21

I had one briefly after a car accident and I couldn't speak without lisping for months. I hated it and had it replaced with a bridge as soon as the gum was healed.

glammanana Fri 17-Aug-18 11:46:00

I have a partial for my front 4 bottom teeth after falling and breaking my shoulder in 2015.
I have always had a very sentitive palette and was affraid I would not tolerate the plate they where fixed on and they woud cause me to gag.
My dentist was marvelous and made the plate as thin as he could which really helped.
I do think you will find it strange when first fitted but please persevere and it will settle down.
I was told to keep it in as long as I could and to expect it to loosen slightly after a few weeks as my gums where ajusting to it,I bought some fixing gel when this happened
and this helped since the first fitting I have had another set made as my gums are now fully healed.

elfies Fri 17-Aug-18 11:51:17

once you have it try sucking sweets if you have gag reflex, it should bed in quicker .
I also slept in mine , which helped me get used to it .
Good Luck

FlexibleFriend Fri 17-Aug-18 12:12:02

I'd rather not take my teeth out so if you can afford a bridge and the rest of your teeth are in good nick I'd go for a bridge.
Did they not suggest a bridge?

jill36 Fri 17-Aug-18 12:33:15

Hi Elfies
Which teeth were replaced with your partial and how long have you had it. Was your dentist ok about you sleeping with it in?

HildaW Fri 17-Aug-18 13:44:15

I've had one for a good decade. I'd advise to go for the best you can afford as they do vary and depending on the teeth and the site there will be different tensions and patterns of wear.
Once you are wearing a denture it does put a bit of a life sentence on the neighbour teeth so you must take it out at night, clean very well and have a check-up and hygienist appointments to ensure all is going as well as it can.