Gransnet forums

Chat

Buzz, buzz, buzz!!

(9 Posts)
MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 16:38:56

Can you get a wasps nest in your chimney?
I ask because there is a buzzing sound coming from my log burner.
I'm too afraid to open the door to investigate, in case a swarm descends into my living room. Eek!

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Aug-18 16:59:06

Yep

Mapleleaf Fri 17-Aug-18 17:01:36

Oh dear, sounds like you might have to contact a pest control company.?

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Aug-18 17:31:24

Can you just open the door a little bit and puff the powder in?

1974cookie Fri 17-Aug-18 18:19:05

DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR just in case. Wasps are very good at communicating when they are hurt I believe, and will rally the troops to retaliate. Also, it could be Bees as we had this problem many years ago.
Get a Pest controller MiniMoon
ASAP.
Keep us posted.

Telly Fri 17-Aug-18 19:06:12

Could be bees. We had a bee swarm in our chimney when we moved. However no one could come until the next day and they had taken themselves off by then. I wonder if you go outside and look at the chimney you might see who is coming and going?

sodapop Fri 17-Aug-18 19:13:43

Yes we had them in the chimney, we lit the woodburner and had it going full pelt to smoke them out. Not had them back since and that was a couple of years ago.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 22:53:08

Well, the buzzing stopped. I am wondering if the wasps were outside the chimney. I was alone in the house and everything was quiet. We have a pear tree opposite the house that has been alive with them recently, attracted by the aphids on the leaves.
If I hear any more buzzing I'll let you know.

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Aug-18 09:29:58

If it is bees then, apparently they are unlikely to return next year. My mum had them in her roof last year and they have gone. I contacted the bee keepers association for advice.