Gransnet forums

Chat

Self checkout and supermarket shopping

(23 Posts)
granjan66 Tue 21-Aug-18 16:37:06

I live in the NW and and shop at Aldi and Morrison's. All staff are invariably friendly and helpful.

shysal Tue 21-Aug-18 11:56:17

All the staff are pleasant at my local Asda. I never use the self service checkouts unless the tills are very busy and I only have a few items, as I have been told that jobs are at risk. I once had the message 'unexpected item in the bagging area'. It turned out to be my DGD leaning on the edge!
I don't know about other shops, but Asda seem to be very good at employing local people with special needs or disabilities, for which I applaud them.
This morning there was great hilarity between staff and waiting customers when my Price Guarantee voucher for £2.62 came up as owing me £536!! Needless to say they didn't pay up!

glammanana Tue 21-Aug-18 11:30:20

We have really pleasent staff at our Supermarkets and local shops I never use the self serve tills though after having a diaster when I somehow ending up scanning one item three times and got in a right old muddle.

Squiffy Tue 21-Aug-18 11:30:19

I always refuse the kind offer of using the self-service checkout for two reasons:

I don't like to think of staffing cuts caused by self-service, and secondly, I don't like being 'spoken' to by a machine that refuses to understand that there's nothing in the b***dy bagging area angry

goldengirl Tue 21-Aug-18 11:13:36

I rarely use the supermarket but have been very pleased when I do - the staff are always pleasant and helpful; especially when I tried to buy just one aubergine and used the self check out and got in a muddle. We had a good laugh on that one. She must have though 'poor old biddy' but didn't show it!!!!

ffinnochio Tue 21-Aug-18 10:13:44

I frequently find a big smile and a “hello, how are you?” to whomever is serving me works wonders, and a “thank you”, too.
Try it. ?

Marmight Tue 21-Aug-18 10:09:33

Since moving South I've discovered Waitrose. The local one is a bit up itself - both customers (yah yah ?)and employees but one about 10 miles away which I visit when passing is amazing. I have a warm fuzzy feeling of being a valued customer and they are always up for a chat (& you can still get a free coffee there). I try to avoid self check outs. I always get into a muddle and the wretched thing shouts orders at you non stop and if you need assistance there's never anyone around...confused

HootyMcOwlface Tue 21-Aug-18 10:04:31

I shop in Aldi and the staff are always very pleasant and chatty on the tills, as are they in the other shops near here. Where do you shop sandelf?

Diana54 Tue 21-Aug-18 09:54:34

Morrisons for me checkout always friendly, no grumbles there. I have used self checkout but I don't like them because there are lots of ways you could cheat or make mistakes and I would be mortified if I was called over for a recheck.
" though shalt not tempt " and I'm sure some are tempted.

harrigran Tue 21-Aug-18 09:46:01

Our check out operators are pleasant and always pass the time of day. I will not use self service tills, why should I ? When the ladies suggest I do I ask them if they are trying to make themselves redundent.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 20-Aug-18 21:57:42

I always find the checkout staff very pleasant in whichever supermarket I visit.

I tend to avoid self-checkout but have used it occasionally if there are long queues and I only wish to buy two or three things.

SueDonim Mon 20-Aug-18 21:49:16

The checkout operators in my area are a pretty cheery bunch. I like talking to them and especially some of the youngsters who are the children of friends.

bikergran Mon 20-Aug-18 21:30:46

sandelf think you need to come to "my" checkout smile an hello,
a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, a thank you, a bag packer, a "how are you today" a bye for now see you soon smile

seacliff Mon 20-Aug-18 21:15:49

My local Tescos and Waitrose are both friendly and nice. I only use self check out for a few items.

Menopaws Mon 20-Aug-18 21:13:31

I self checkout and the only interaction I get it is when I make a cock up or buy booze and they need to look at my weary face to realise I am well over 18 but I don't really mind

Soupy Mon 20-Aug-18 21:09:15

Nope! Waitrose, Sainsbury's or Lidl; all the staff are helpful and friendly.
If I can't reach something on a high shelf then there's usually a nice tall young man on the staff who can get it down for me too!

Moocow Mon 20-Aug-18 21:06:59

Give customer feedback. If enough people do, it can make a difference. I've done it and noticed little changes. Sometimes i think the staff need reminding customers are not machines as well and so their job is not just notice and chat to each other!

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Aug-18 20:39:39

All of our supermarkets in my little town have really nice staff. I never use self service.

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Aug-18 20:36:31

We’re still lucky enough to have local shops and a small supermarket. And lucky enough to live in a community which uses them. We do have a middle sized Tesco but the butchers, bakers and greengrocers are better value.

When I do venture abroad, I hate the self service tills and do my utmost not to use them. I usually get something wrong and get told off. Being reprimanded by a machine isn’t nice especially as its usually rather abrupt. Apart from the fact they’re taking the place of real people.

Maggiemaybe Mon 20-Aug-18 20:17:27

That sounds grim, sandelf. You need to change your store.

kittylester Mon 20-Aug-18 20:10:17

I use Sainsbury's and they are all lovely.

M0nica Mon 20-Aug-18 20:04:37

I shop at Waitrose, our only town centre supermarket, and the checkout assistants are uniformly friendly and approachable.

sandelf Mon 20-Aug-18 19:59:36

My turn to do the weekly consumables shop. Nobody says hello, please, thank you, can I help you. Speakers command the staff to open more checkouts, every item results in a (to me) deafening beep. I do smile and make small talk with the lady behind me in the queue, and smile and thank the checkout lady. It just feels as though what was once pleasant even if a chore, is now just plain nasty. Is it me?