Gransnet forums

Chat

Still awake?

(12 Posts)
annep Thu 30-Aug-18 09:25:19

Oh dear Maybelle. Pain is so unpredictable. Its hard to avoid because sometimes no matter what you do it either comes or goes. I dont know what kind of pain your husband has but I find painkillers are not much use. The more you use the more you have to use. Although of course there are times when you take any pill you can find! I use pernaton gel and piroxicam. and cold compresses. ( my husband uses hot). Meditation does help. We just have to go with the flow and wait for the good periods and make the most of them. Wishing you both a good day. ( I did sleep well)

Maybelle Thu 30-Aug-18 08:54:55

Hi annep hope you managed a decent nights sleep. DH slept through last night but is in a lot of pain this morning.
Still we can't have it all, seems there has to be a pay back one way or the other . . .

annep Wed 29-Aug-18 23:52:50

Hi Maybelle Yes strange how it seems worse at night. Dark winter nights are hard. My husband is in another bedroom sleeping soundly! I think if one person is well slept if possible its better. I'm about to put my book down and try to nod off. We were at A&E two weeks ago. My husband in pain and vomiting. I think it took me longer to recover than him lol. Not the most cheerful place to spend early morning hours. Sweet dreams hopefully.?

Maybelle Wed 29-Aug-18 23:00:26

Hi annep as you know too well chronic pain is exhausting for both the person who has it and for their other half. Like you, for my OH this is a long term problem. Sometimes feel like I am the cheer leader keeping his spirits up. And just sometimes it is hard work. . .
But onwards we must go.
Hope you have a peaceful night and hopeful that we all get about more sleep.
lots of elderly folk at A &E last night, it seems that things always seen worse in the small hours. Pain that can be coped with during the day time seems to spiral out of control in the night time.

annep Wed 29-Aug-18 18:33:45

Maybelle I do empathise. I often am in the same situation. Continual pain is draining. Its not funny. and exhausting and a struggle to stay cheerful. My husband gives me a gentle foot massage almost every evening while listening to relaxing music which helps. I have fibromyalgia. I hope its better tonight for both of you.

Maybelle Wed 29-Aug-18 17:06:48

callgirl I was too tired to read, DH was meditating to try to control the pain (with no success) and I just started flicking through on my Kindle.
Basically anything to try to stay awake. Hoping for a better night tonight

callgirl1 Wed 29-Aug-18 16:56:59

Maybelle, I`m quite often still up at that time, but not on the computer, usually reading.

Maybelle Wed 29-Aug-18 10:31:09

To be fair we were waiting for a non emergency ambulance. DH pain levels were extremely high and nothing we could do brought them back down.
All OK (ish) now and got home about an hour ago.
Next on my list is NOT the planned light gardening, but is a light nap followed by a snooze.

Marydoll Wed 29-Aug-18 06:59:53

Maybelle, I wish I had known you were awake, I was wandering around at 3am looking for painkillers. sad

absent Wed 29-Aug-18 06:09:18

Nope – not asleep in New Zealand.

Rufus2 Wed 29-Aug-18 04:06:44

Maybelle; I"d say No! It was 11:15:27 here in Melbourne and I was having my elevenses.! I couldn't sleep either. The sun was dazzling my eyes. grin
Although I do notice some other gransnetters are pounding away on their keyboards well after midnight. I wonder why?

Maybelle Wed 29-Aug-18 02:15:27

Am I the only gransnetter awake at this hour of the night?