Gransnet forums

Chat

Havn't paid road tax E mail ?

(52 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Sun 23-Sep-18 05:29:58

Gosh , I usually get a paper reminder sent , it doesn't seem long since I paid this via the phone ? My mind's in a flap - need to calm down and find proof , maybe it's a scam , Ive never had an e mail demand before ?

MagicWand Sun 30-Sep-18 13:01:18

Thank you for the heads up on this scam. I received an email about my 'overdue Road Fund Tax' on 28/9, I hadn't heard about this one before, but was able to check back easily and report it to action fraud.

narrowboatnan Thu 27-Sep-18 10:10:45

You can report phishing emails here
www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

Jaxie Tue 25-Sep-18 14:34:05

It's a scam I got an email and forwarded it to the DVLA who confirmed this.

Aepgirl Tue 25-Sep-18 10:49:11

I always pay on-line, but to do so you need 2 (I think) reference numbers to be entered when prompted. Please make sure you have these numbers, otherwise it could be a scam. But, of course, check with he DVLA first.

petra Tue 25-Sep-18 08:53:41

Lewie
I've just been reading that article.
I'm manic about security and admit to saying what were you thinking when i read some of these scams.
But the one that is so clever is because of its simplicity is the one with Virgin media.
This one slightly un nerved me as last week we were called from Sky offering us a very good package. We signed up but later cancelled as we discovered he had lied to us.
But how could we prove he was calling from Sky, Virgin etc?

Lewie Tue 25-Sep-18 08:37:58

Everybody should read the article in the Daily Mail today about the tactics of scammers. dailym.ai/2zrf82s

Lyndiloo Tue 25-Sep-18 03:49:36

It's a scam!

I keep getting emails from the tax people saying that I have a refund due but they need my bank details in order to refund me.

I think that any official organisation will write to you if there's a problem - not email.

You have to be so careful and savvy nowadays!

Melanieeastanglia Mon 24-Sep-18 23:34:27

I'd say it's a scam. This particular email has come to me. I ignored it.

dottie145 Mon 24-Sep-18 20:11:20

My daughter and I do not get on! She is 30 has a beautiful child good job and lovely partner. Just had a miserable upsetting week-end at my Mums. She shouts at me,makes nasty comments, and expects me to look after my darling Grandaughter , cook for everyone, clear up while she does absolutely nothing. This time she left before dinner leaving everyone shell shocked., and my son with no transport for his 80 mile trip home. she pushes me until I snap. She is getting married next year abroad and I know if I go it will go pear shaped and all my fault. Help

Funnygran Mon 24-Sep-18 19:43:29

I have had two e mails in the last week supposedly from the tv licensing people telling me I am due a refund. I pay monthly by direct debit, I’m not aware the fee has gone down and I’m not old enough for a free one so it’s obviously a scam. Have had the income tax one too.

Grandmama Mon 24-Sep-18 18:26:09

Talking of emails etc. This evening I was on the internet looking for a newspaper item. I had Googled the topic and the name of a reporter who might have written it and suddenly up came the Sex-badoo hook-up site and a naked woman. I have never ever used a sex website, have never heard of this one (nor of any others). Puzzled and slightly alarmed. The site I was looking for was not remotely connected to sex, nothing that could have been mis-read for the word sex in the title.

Rosina Mon 24-Sep-18 17:56:44

I had one of those too! The call ended with the woman (a recording) asking me to ring her on a number , and then saying fiercely 'this message is for YOU'. (She didn't know my name it seemed!)

Conni7 Mon 24-Sep-18 17:03:25

I had one on the answerphone this morning saying that a warrant had been issued for my arrest for not paying tax. Don't ignore, ring HMRC on this number. Reported it to the police and they said there had been several more.

Legs55 Mon 24-Sep-18 16:16:20

I am another who pays Car Tax by monthly DD, only get a reminder at the start of each renewal. Also my Insurance is paid by monthly DD but they do write to me. I know the date my MOT is due & arrange to have it done as soon as possible (up to one month before).

I send any suspect emails to the relevant fraud departments. HMRC has a dedicated team to deal with spam emails.

OldMeg Mon 24-Sep-18 16:03:43

NannyMcGeek I've changed to monthly DD too. Much less hassle, plus if you sell your car/get a new one, you don’t have all that fuss reclaiming road tax.

bikergran Mon 24-Sep-18 15:43:46

as with op...I choose to pay my Car Tax Monthly...(around £10) I had forgot it was due..until I had an email saying they had renewed it automatically by DD so I have not need to worry about that in the future...

Had to laugh though!! as also my car insurance company sent me a lovely email..saying that they would be please to lessen the worry and automatically re new my car insurance smile lol
To be honest and also shocked that it has come down £120!! wow!

Rosina Mon 24-Sep-18 14:42:40

Another good piece of advice is to NEVER answer emails of this sort ; I was just about to respond with a less than polite message at work as we had received several very cleverly composed emails on a perfect replica of the genuine site from 'Her Majesty's Customs and Excise' informing us of a huge tax rebate if we would simply supply out sort code and account numbers. A technician said to delete them - any response, however satisfying it might be to call them crooks, idiots or worse, can give the scammer some further access to your details it seems.

Teacheranne Mon 24-Sep-18 14:29:55

I print out confirmation emails for any important payments I make online ie insurance, car tax, RAC etc. Not very "green" but I still like a paper copy for my files. I embrace the new technology which allows me to order and pay for things from home as I have mobility problems and struggle to get to the bank or to the shops. However, I am alert to email scams and never click on links in emails until I have verified the source or the info.

I was given this tip by a policewoman at a talk at my WI. To help remember secure password, use the same first part then add a reference to the company or product
eg Abc123?car and Abc123?bnk. I have changed a few to this type of password ( although mine is more unusual than Abc123? ) but not all as I keep forgetting!

lilihu Mon 24-Sep-18 14:09:00

I subscribe to neighbourhood alert emails and they often warn of the current scams circulating. They reproduce the email so you know what to look for.
I had one recently regarding the TV licence scam. They rely on us sending our scam emails on to Action Fraud so that as many people as possible are made aware.

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Sep-18 13:35:44

The other poster will be on the same planet as everyone else mabon1.

clareken Mon 24-Sep-18 13:29:44

Recently had one from TV licencing saying we were due a refund for the period 2016 - 2018. Did open it as could be owed something. Looked legit but the refund was for £472 ,which was almost as much as we paid! Also wanted too much detail to make the repayment. Scam!!!

yellowcanary Mon 24-Sep-18 13:25:58

sorry my last post was supposed to be on a different one

GabriellaG Mon 24-Sep-18 13:25:31

yellowcanary

I think you posted on the wrong thread grin

Minerva Mon 24-Sep-18 13:23:54

If you google DVLA tax scams up come a whole load of different ones.

yellowcanary Mon 24-Sep-18 13:22:09

Try the Soxon Sock aid from Amazon (cheapest one I just saw was £10) they look weird but do work - I used it before and after my hip replacement. Lent one to my Dad who was having trouble -best present I ever gave him he said, didn't tell him I'd only lent it to him and bought myself another grin. It's not plastic, but material with long tabs for pulling up.