Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you change a man’s behaviour (light hearted- I think??)

(131 Posts)
petunia Thu 04-Oct-18 10:21:54

I have lived with my other half for over 40 years, most of them being married. One thing I have learnt in that time is that a man will only change his behaviour if he wants to change. No amount of begging, pleading, shouting nagging, cajoling, talking etc will make him change.
When we were both working full time, and had small and then larger children, most of the housework fell to me. It was easier that way. The pile of dirty clothes left by the side of the bed would never make it to the laundry basket if I hadn’t shoved them there after tripping over them every day to make the bed. Exhausted by the treadmill of work and childcare, I put forward the suggestion of a cleaner. He rubbed his chin, looked thoughtful for a moment or two then declared it was an expensive idea and couldn’t we just carry on doing it ourselves. I nearly broke a rib or two laughing at that one. When I wasn’t laughing I was dreaming of how I could stab him with the carving knife and make it look like an accident (that is a joke by the way)
We staggered on with me asking him to do this task or that, and he would do it after a fashion. So the ironing would be done but not put away. Or the request to bring the washing in if it started to rain resulted in just that. The washing, bungled together, often with pegs still attached, dumped on the nearest chair. Often still damp. Each time it happened and I asked why didn’t he put it in the tumble dryer or fold it and put it away was met with “but you didn’t ask me to do that”. Or shopping was short of vital ingredients but heavy on the crisps and beer.
His reasoning was that as he does all the DIY, he should have lighter housework duties. Fair enough but it’s not like he spent every free moment with a spanner or paintbrush in his hand.

Fast forward twenty years. Now, in the house without children, he has scaled down his housework responsibilities and has accepted a list of weekly tasks. There are his “jobs” and I do the rest.
Currently our kitchen has recycling items on two work surfaces and two bins full in the expensive kitchen with built in recycling boxes. The rubbish in the general bin is overflowing and beginning to pong. But as it’s Thursday and he empties the bins on Friday....... His clothes from yesterday managed to find their way to the washing machine, but not in it. The work surface has teaspoons trailing tea and splodges of milk after he made various cups of tea. Crumbs from breakfast add to the scene.
As he is last out of bed, he makes it. Nearly. With covers vaguely dragged approximately on top of the bed. His chair is surrounded by newspaper, notebooks, crumbs and remote controls (we have 8-dont ask). I think he does his jobs poorly so that I give in and take over. I have just paused in this thread to empty the bloody bins so it’s working. And it’s still only 10.15.

So 40 years on. Nothing’s really changed. Endless rows and nagging didn’t work. Asking, begging and pleading work on one occasion but then needs repeating. I once tried leaving the housework. Oh dear, disaster. Me and the children scrabbling around for clean clothes amidst a sea of clutter.
I think I have scaled down my expectations as low as they can be. What is the answer? Any ideas?

petunia Tue 09-Oct-18 17:36:21

So I go away for a while and I come back to a derailed thread. Domestic abuse, Trump???? How did that happen?
I meant it to be a light-hearted thread where similarly affected women could have a moan and get it off their collective chests. Being with a partner for any length of time is bound to throw up some issues. No two people can share the same view on everything, from hoovering the living room to stacking the dishwasher.
OH and I get along mostly, and I would not consider myself abused in any shape or form. In this thread I’m talking about differences over a bit of dusting here, or tidying there, or leaving his dirty socks on the bedroom floor. Not verbal or physical abuse. But sometimes, just sometimes, he does something, or more often doesn’t do something that really irritates. I am sure I cause the same reaction in him. It may be not taking out the recycling or forgetting to bring the washing in.
And really, does anyone really think I’d take a carving knife to him. Really?? Could I plead not guilty due to provocation by leaving a coaster at the wrong angle!

NanaWilson Tue 09-Oct-18 09:05:00

My husband does help around the house...but he doesn’t like dealing with family issues. I’ve dealt with his aged parents problems, as well as our kids as they grew up. He tends to put his head in the sand...and it drives me ?

muffinthemoo Mon 08-Oct-18 14:11:55

Oh, and this comic about “You should have asked” is a great favourite:

english.emmaclit.com/2017/05/20/you-shouldve-asked/

muffinthemoo Mon 08-Oct-18 14:09:09

I don’t know if you’ve all seen this already, but I see this passed around a lot and it’s a very thoughtful piece from an ex husband’s perspective.

mustbethistalltoride.com/2016/01/14/she-divorced-me-because-i-left-dishes-by-the-sink/

PECS Mon 08-Oct-18 08:47:20

There are some men who will use the quality of housework as an excuse to abuse their partners & I have no doubt some GNs will have been subjected to this and we would be appalled to hear it.
However this particular thread, right from the OP, indicated it was a lighthearted " get it off your chest " type of post about partners' annoying habits.
DA & traficking is not ever a lighthearted matter and I am sure nobody here was implying that.

MawBroon Mon 08-Oct-18 08:42:45

Were I to just say FFS would that do?

Not hoovering is not even grounds for divorce let alone constituting “ domestic abuse”
I think AmMaz needs to look at the true and very ugly aspects of true domestic abuse ( and grow up a bit)

Synonymous Sun 07-Oct-18 23:17:39

shock confused What on earth?!

AmMaz Sun 07-Oct-18 14:34:54

MawBroon, work it out yourself, if you can.

AmMaz Sun 07-Oct-18 14:29:26

Hilly60, you said 'well done' of MawBroon's response to me, adding 'I think we have an interloper'.
Dictionary definition of interloper: a person who becomes involved in a place or situation where they are not wanted or are considered not to belong.
So......only opinions you and Maw agree with are welcome and 'belong' on GN? Is that official GN policy? Or you've simply appointed yourself as GN opinion police chief? Who the heck are you to brand me or any other poster an 'interloper'?

sodapop Sun 07-Oct-18 14:11:26

"Most of you gals" It's a long time since I've been a "gal" . Thought this was a light hearted thread, I think most women choose their battles although we like a moan from time to time. I wonder what our husbands views would be ?

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 14:09:18

How on Earth do you make the jump from “Not helping with the hoovering” to “slave trafficking “ ?

Get over yourself and do not cheapen the effects of true domestic abuse by linking it to a light hearted moan about the nature of some men.

AmMaz Sun 07-Oct-18 14:03:59

?????

Bighorse Sun 07-Oct-18 12:14:56

I’d revisit the carving knife plan

AmMaz Sun 07-Oct-18 08:25:36

MawBroon, its domestic abuse. And I do believe you're now making light of it. Bet you get out of your tree about women being slave trafficked too.

Iwilldoittomorrow Sat 06-Oct-18 22:35:42

All I can say is don’t sweat the small stuff. DH used to be quite good about sharing the chores when the children were growing up but now they’ve gone and we’re 5 years into early onset Alzheimer’s. He can no longer sequence tasks so he might empty the kitchen bin but it won’t end up in the right dustbin. Dirty clothes go back in his drawers (I retrieve them and put them in the washing) Taps get left on (we had a mini flood in the kitchen yesterday as I went out for 45 mins,) The only day if the week he is sure of is Saturdays when he goes to the pub and I have a few hours to myself, he has a tracker phone in case he gets lost on the 5 minute walk home. I do all of the cooking, stacking the dishwasher, unstacking the dishwasher, washing, ironing (minimum), diy, gardening etc just not to a very high standard, the kitchen is clean but the dusting doesn’t get done very often. He is gradually filling our tiny house with the contents of the local second hand record shop not to mention the charity shop DVDs and CDs and recently books too. Thought about employing a cleaner but couldn’t cope with the amount of tidying I would have to do every time they came, I just blitz the place every so often when I can’t stand it any longer, thank goodness it is a tiny house, I’m exhausted as it is - oh and I still work part time as no pension for another 5 years, I would just really like a holiday but haven’t had one of those for 6 years but you just grit your teeth and carry on and you know there is always someone worse off than yourself - gin takes the edge off it I find smile

Synonymous Sat 06-Oct-18 19:13:07

pauline42 very sensible. Impressed you only need her fortnightly though as we have our lady on a weekly basis, plus occasional extra hours. We must be muckier than you two! grin

pauline42 Sat 06-Oct-18 18:46:25

My retirement years are far too prec ious to waste on housework - and my husband doesn’t want to take over the responsibilities. So we have a lady who comes in and cleans our home from top to bottom every other Monday - so problem solved! And the cost comes out of “our” joint house account that is funded through our combined pensions. Maybe this means not going on expensive holidays as often as other couples do, but it’s far far better than having this chore hanging over our heads or arguing about who should be doing it us week in and week out!

Hilly60 Sat 06-Oct-18 17:54:57

Well said MawBroon, I think we have an interloper.

Yes you are right Thuberon I was shocked when I heard Woman's Hour the other day regarding Alexa. One family said they had 9 Alexa's in their house! They said it helped with things like spelling a word. Stopped them having to think more like. What would happen if the voice was changed to a male one? It reminds me of when the Italians first had sat nav but wouldn't follow instructions because it was in a female voice so it was changed. Bet they didn't swear at 'him'.

thuberon Sat 06-Oct-18 17:48:03

lovebeigecardigans1955 Ah ha So that's the point of teabags LOL

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 06-Oct-18 17:43:43

The thing is OP that you can never really change anyone. He has to realise that his behaviour is a problem and want to change to please you or he's being useless on purpose in the hope that you don't ask him to do anything.
Perhaps when you do these jobs properly after his mess ups you clatter about with much venom, making as much noise as possible - or throw old tea bags at him!

thuberon Sat 06-Oct-18 17:14:00

Just listened to a piece on Woman's Hour about how Alexa is generally treated (spoken to) in the home. And at the very end, when there was no time left for discussion, it was pointed out that Alexa is another servile female presence in the home often subject to abuse (demanded of, sworn at etc) with never any come back! Interesting!

MawBroon Sat 06-Oct-18 16:51:52

Well really AmMaz
Most of you gals who are knowingly and in many cases willingly (at least resignedly) being taken advantage of - abused - over decades to the point you are worn down and worn out
Come off it, stop exaggerating, learn to take some things with a pinch of salt, stop over-reacting.
Nobody here is talking about domestic abuse!

Hilly60 Sat 06-Oct-18 16:34:24

Poor Trump why would we pour scorn on such a sweetie? Bet he makes the bed he lies in!

AmMaz Sat 06-Oct-18 15:56:26

For what it's worth, here's my thought:
Most of you gals who are knowingly and in many cases willingly (at least resignedly) being taken advantage of - abused - over decades to the point you are worn down and worn out, are the very same women who climb out of your collective tree to decry and heap scorn on Trump and anybody who would vote for him, due to his misogynistic attitude to women. Doh.

Hilly60 Sat 06-Oct-18 14:25:28

Yeah MamaCaz you just don't know till it's too late. My DH cooked me a lovely meal when we were first courting, presented it beautifully and wouldn't even let me help with the washing up after. Wow I thought, a man who can cook, he's a keeper. Well I kept him for nearly 30 years before I found out that my lovely Sister in Law had been the one who had cooked the meal from scratch and had even done the washing up the next day because he hadn't!!! DH thought it was hilarious when my SiL told me the truth and couldn't understand why I was fuming.