Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes a house a home ?

(77 Posts)
NanKate Wed 10-Oct-18 07:41:56

Another topic I have snaffled from local radio.

When all my family are sitting round the table eating their Sunday lunch with lots of laughter and noise. Definitely no mobiles or IPads in sight.

Bridgeit Wed 10-Oct-18 08:27:11

Apart from family, it has to be cosy not clinical. Nothing wrong with a much loved piece of tat .

BlueBelle Wed 10-Oct-18 08:32:44

You re very lucky to have family sitting and laughing round the table Nankate

JackyB Wed 10-Oct-18 08:34:00

My mother always created a home wherever we lived. I can't pinpoint how she did it, and I can't recreate the atmosphere myself. It was always clean and tidy, but apart from washing up and ironing, I don't have any memories of her doing housework.

My interior decorating is rather stark and typically German with wooden floors. If I had my way we would have carpets all over but DH would have the wood even in the bedrooms. I think it was partly due to fitted carpets that all our homes were so cosy when I was growing up.

travelsafar Wed 10-Oct-18 08:37:33

I agree with both of the above comments.
Home to me is walking in the front door and seeing worn but well loved items, including my DHsmile, warmth on a cold day and sunshine through my windows on a summer day.
It is the place i can relax and be my self completely, warts and all.
Above all the place where i am most content with my life and i can shut the door on the world.

PECS Wed 10-Oct-18 08:38:48

The people in it, who value other people over the things in the house.

Greenfinch Wed 10-Oct-18 08:48:48

A warm welcome to visitors.

Anniebach Wed 10-Oct-18 08:59:24

I have lived in my bungalow for 22 months, it isn’t a home, it is classed sheltered accommodation and this is all it seems.

sodapop Wed 10-Oct-18 09:06:26

I don't find minimalist houses very homely. I like some family bits and pieces around and comfy rather than showy furniture. I much prefer hard floors to carpets Jacky much easier to keep clean and no worries about spillages. I agree with you Greenfinch a warm welcome for visitors ( even if we are busy! )

kittylester Wed 10-Oct-18 09:14:07

(((hugs))) Annie.

Apart from my family, I have no idea but I love mine!

Teetime Wed 10-Oct-18 09:18:44

I think making a house a home is about the atmosphere you create and not necessarily about the furnishings. I always have some nice music playing, some fresh flowers, the house is clean and tidy, all guests and visitors are welcomed and invited inside for a refreshment not left talking on the doorstep. The smell of fresh coffee, baking and/or something delicious cooking add to the ambience. Even when I started out with a grotty flat I was determined to make a good atmosphere as I hadn't come from that kind of home myself.

DoraMarr Wed 10-Oct-18 09:26:46

Oh Anniebach, I hope you can make it seem like home.
I live alone, and I love coming home, closing the door, and being surrounded with my paintings, ceramics, cushions and throws, so, yes things make my home. However, every thing has a history and a good memory, from the family photos to the little souvenirs my children brought me back from school trips, to the posters and ceramics found on holidays with my partner, the rug in my living room I bought in celebration when I sold my old house, the Picasso cushion my daughter gave me this year.

Bridgeit Wed 10-Oct-18 09:29:54

Ohh sounds lovely Teetime, what time shall we come around ?☕️?

Mapleleaf Wed 10-Oct-18 09:33:48

I agree with so many of the comments already posted here.
For me, a house is a home when it feels comfortable, is filled with people you love, is welcoming but definitely not “show home perfect”. I’m not one for minimalism, and indeed to some my home might look cluttered, but it is tidy and clean and all the “clutter” holds special memories, and lives in its place, ie, there is still plenty of space to move around. ( I do have clear outs from time to time, but oh, it can be difficult)! grin

Lynne59 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:05:27

When my son and his 2 little girls visit....toys everywhere, lots of noise, and my other son giving the 4yr old a piggyback round the living room. My husband maikng drinks, me making lunch - and the cat, sitting watching it all from the safety of a chair

gerry86 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:11:15

Family first and then having familiar things around you.

GabriellaG Wed 10-Oct-18 10:11:43

A woman, a mother, laughter, love and a warm welcome.

ddraig123 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:19:21

Family, Labrador (dog), music and in the winter enough money to have the central heating on!

PECS Wed 10-Oct-18 10:19:23

my nephew and his partner have a lovely home! No woman or mother there. But I feel comfy and welcome when I visit!

ditzyme Wed 10-Oct-18 10:20:17

I have always tried to create a home out of whatever house, in whatever area, the Forces chose to put us for a few years. So that included lots of photos and loved paintings, bright throws and cushions to cheer up often bland surroundings. Books everywhere. Creating a place where friends felt able to kick off their shoes, put their feet up and feel relaxed, even make the tea. I had one friend who had just returned from abroad, still a bit jet-lagged and within minutes of sitting down, he was asleep. If friends can feel that safe and relaxed, then I've created the environment I wanted.

Tamayra Wed 10-Oct-18 10:23:12

Cushions & hot chocolate smile

Yellowmellow Wed 10-Oct-18 10:25:18

Although all of my sons have their own homes, they still refer to my house as home....one rang me whilst I was shopping and asked if I wanted to meet for lunch. I asked him where he was and he said 'at home'. Guess where I went...to his home, and he was waiting for me at my house!! They all have keys, come in and out when I'm at work etc. I didn't have quite the freedom in my mum's house after I left, but I always felt her house was my home, so maybe for us its here your mum is xx

Kim19 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:26:03

Past and ongoing happy memories clad every inch of this place for me. Thoroughly unspectacular but mine. Love it.

BGrannie1 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:27:34

A house is just the shell, its the people with all the love, laughter and life in general that makes the home and gives it a heart.

Allegretto Wed 10-Oct-18 10:30:02

Comfy chairs/sofas/beds and whatever degree of minimalism/clutter/tidiness is comfortable for the owner. Some people love what others would consider clutter. I agree that sufficient heat, good smells and a warm welcome all contribute to making a home.