Gransnet forums

Chat

Hats off...

(96 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 18-Oct-18 08:48:17

To Theresa May. I know, I know! However, it's unbelievable how she keeps going in the face of such unpleasant colleagues and unsympathetic EU politicians. I'm only commenting as a fellow female of the same age. I don't have the stamina for all those late nights and early mornings and endless meetings. Thank God she's there. The alternatives are unthinkable. (Sits back and awaits opprobrium)

Iam64 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:58:56

We're all DOOMED I tell you!

Seriously - it's an absolute dogs breakfast isn't it. I wish TM had acknowledged she'd been a Remainer, that the majority was small in favour of Leave. Most importantly, I wish she had stated loud and clear that a referendum has no basis in law, it's advisory. It's up to Parliament to decide whether or not to act on the outcome of a referendum.

I wish Mr Corbyn would be clearer about his own views. I believe its disgusting for anyone in Parliament to suggest their leader/PM "bring your own noose".

The world really isn difficulty when you have Mr T in the Whitehouse, the tories tearing themselves apart again, continuously, about Europe and an opposition who don't seem to manage the media terribly well.

Granny23 Mon 22-Oct-18 16:15:56

Day6 said She has the interests of the UK and its citizens at heart Sorry, but as all the evidence now suggests that Brexit is going to be a disaster for all but the Ultra Rich she is not demonstrating much concern for the poor, sick, disabled or even for the struggling middle classes. Also NI and Scotland clearly voted to remain in the EU so I doubt if the citizens of either of those 2 countries feel that TM has their best interests at the top of her agenda.

EllanVannin Mon 22-Oct-18 13:31:22

It is disgusting behaviour of that there's no doubt and far from garnering respect and support from the constituents of the cat-calling MP's concerned, I wouldn't even bother casting them a vote in any election be it a by or general.
These people are supposed to be educated ? You could have fooled me !

PECS Mon 22-Oct-18 13:21:33

Would never condone violence or threats but she is certainly not my hero! She is doing the job she wanted to do. Life never quite turns out as any of us expect and we all face unexpected work and personal challenges
Most of us just get on with it doing the best we can. No different!
Too much idolising / putting on a pedestal .

Witzend Mon 22-Oct-18 13:06:59

I do so agree - talk about a poisoned chalice she was handed.
And who on earth could or would be better?
Such a dismal set right across all the parties.

Jane10 Mon 22-Oct-18 12:15:41

Outrageous language is being used against her. 'knives being warmed before stabbing her in the front'! Several high profile female MPs of all parties have sprung to her defence and demanded that the people using such language be reported to the police. After Jo Cox you'd think there'd be more thought! angry

suzied Mon 22-Oct-18 12:05:39

Never mind remainers, Brexiteer MPs in her own party are talking about her "bringing her own noose" and being "stabbed slowly".

EllanVannin Mon 22-Oct-18 10:24:31

The only " hands-on " politician that I've ever encountered over the years and who also lives on the same planet as the rest of us is Frank Field. Has he ever been listened to ? NO !!

Jaxie Mon 22-Oct-18 10:18:20

To valeriej43: You are so right. May has never wanted for anything in her life; if she'd experienced poverty, and the want and humiliation that goes with it she would never allow the cuts to the Health Service, welfare, the police etc. I have some friends who are dyed-in-the-wool Conservatives. They are committed Christians too, but have NEVER been able to answer me when I ask them, " What party would Jesus vote for."

valeriej43 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:59:38

Not to mention food banks, they got worse under Cameron i believe, but i had never heard of food banks until he took over,and the firs thing he did was cut pensioners winter fuel allowance
Even his own mother disagreed with the cuts he made,
My own son had to use a food bank recently when he was lef withouy money for several weeks,
I helped as much as possible but i can only do so much
He was on ESA but changed to UC and thats when the money problems atatred and they dont backdate what you have lost either only to a certain point

Jane10 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:58:51

Or Labour, or green. We're doomed I say doomed!

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:55:01

and there's no point in voting Liberal
Sorry, Lib-Dem
[sigh]

valeriej43 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:53:11

There are more poor people and so many cuts under TM i dont know how she can sleep at night,
All the chaos of Universal credit, people made homeless ,police cuts Fire service cuts, NHS cuts
I would never vote Conservative anyway, but alo not keen on Labour these days,

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 16:48:55

I was disturbed yesterday by many banners carrying hateful slogans and death wishes towards TM.
shock
if they were typical of any Remainers marching yesterday then I shudder.
There is such an underlying nastiness today in politics and in much social media.

Jane10 Sun 21-Oct-18 14:59:37

Day6 great summary!

Day6 Sun 21-Oct-18 14:33:37

Well said *EllanVannin"

Day6 Sun 21-Oct-18 14:30:53

Jane 10, great OP and I completely agree.

What stamina and resolve she shows. She deals with fluctuating blood sugars and insulin injections and blood tests every day too, and perhaps hypos. She is an inspiration to those with chronic medical conditions. Type 1 diabetes is life-threatening. Theresa May is a no-frills politician, completely without ego and side. What a hellish premiership she's had too. It's been about Brexit mainly yet she handled the Russian poisoning affair exactly right and sounded warning blasts to Syria and Russia too, regarding the use of chemical warfare. She has shown strength, compassion and diplomacy during terrorist atrocities too. She gets it just right imo. She has the interests of the UK and its citizens at heart. Could you say that about the Shadow Cabinet?

I don't think you have to be a Conservative to admire her. I was disturbed yesterday by many banners carrying hateful slogans and death wishes towards TM.

I think her deep faith and strong resolve implies she wishes no one ill. She is doing her job in very difficult circumstances and I imagine she'd be the sort of woman friend most of us would trust implicitly.

EllanVannin Sun 21-Oct-18 13:56:27

I agree with you mentioning " trustworthy " Chucky.

Chucky Sun 21-Oct-18 13:51:14

I think Theresa May has so much energy and is really trying to do her best for our country.
The only thing she has done wrong was to call the snap general election and be honest!!! When I read the manifesto I knew it wasn’t going to end well, as she actually was honest over what was needed to stop this country falling on its knees. Corbyn would use any methods and make impossible promises to win. Then after he was in power the country would again become more and more in debt. Compared to him, Theresa May is so much more trustworthy.

EllanVannin Sun 21-Oct-18 13:01:40

I hear what you're saying Jaxie but why put the blame on TM ? We don't know how our lives are going to pan out when we start married life ( just as well really ) nor did we ever envisage working ourselves into the ground looking after ageing parents then a sick husband, seeing to the children/young adults AND working at the same time as needs dictated ( finances ) It's called LIFE !
I've no intentions of being vicious in any way but I think you'll find that the majority of those who were born in the early '40's are pretty well in the same or similar position as wages and the cost of living was a lot different pre-'90's and if you had a work pension it was commensurate with the salary earned at that time---thus below todays recommended income but just a tad over the threshold of claiming any benefits.
At the time, none of us had any idea that living costs were going to soar as much as they have done and so far as I can see no government has put a cap on rising prices nor have they ever put a stop to the rogue landlords with their rising rents. There are myriads of " bills " which should have been sorted by successive governments---but haven't so you can't blame one particular person for the rank mess that this country is in-----and it is ! All created by GREED !!

Jane10 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:55:59

Who's the vicious old vipers here then? Only one as far as I can see jaxie. Peevish indeed. Feel the better of it?

Jalima1108 Sun 21-Oct-18 12:40:41

You don't know whether or not Theresa May would have loved to have had children Jaxie
What a spiteful post.

vicious old vipers hmm

lemongrove Sun 21-Oct-18 12:14:22

grin????
Don’t hold back Jaxie

Jaxie Sun 21-Oct-18 11:51:24

I missed out " children" after husbands. I know it's a peevish post, so hold back, you vicious old vipers!

Jaxie Sun 21-Oct-18 11:49:46

" Poor woman" don't make me laugh. Naked ambition put Theresa May where she is now. How many Gransnetters had to put ambition aside in their professions in order to look after husband, ageing parents and so on, especially when we couldn't afford nannies, cleaners, ironers to carry out those tasks we did for ourselves after coming home after a hard day's work. I'd be on a decent pension now instead of the pittance I receive because I didn't go for management jobs I could have done with my hands tied behind my back, if it hadn't been for all my other responsibilities. I know lots of younger women now who are absolutely worn out by doing a full time professional job plus caring for their families. Theresa May can devote all HER energies to messing up our nation.