Gransnet forums

Chat

How audible do reversing beepers have to be?

(5 Posts)
Katek Fri 19-Oct-18 11:17:38

There have been workmen with a little digger repairing a hillside path at the other side of the valley from us all week. It’s at least 800 mtrs away and all I can hear is a relentless ‘beep....beep.....beep’! I realise they have to make people aware of their presence in order to avoid accidents but do they need to be as loud? Surely accidents are going to occur in the vicinity of the equipment in which case a reduced volume would be more suitable. There’s no attenuation between us and it so sound is going to carry, but a lower decibel rating at source would definitely help. I have a decimeter somewhere (don’t ask, long story involving landfill!) so off to check levels. Country life definitely isn’t quiet!

DIL17 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:54:42

It'll be so that those with hearing issues can also hear them but also a lot of people walk around now with headphones in so to cover their own backs, they make them as loud as possible so that those people have no excuse when they inevitably get hit!

tanith Mon 07-Jan-19 15:42:51

I would say the louder the better to prevent any accidents surely? It’s not going to go on forever, annoying for sure but necessary.

wildswan16 Mon 07-Jan-19 15:57:37

I suppose these types of machines are working in proximity to guys wearing safety helmets and ear protection. So for their sake I guess it needs to be quite loud. Hopefully the work won't take too long and you will get your peaceful neighbourhood back.

Izabella Mon 07-Jan-19 16:03:29

Yes this was one of the sounds that amazed me when I first had hearing aids. Agree with the posters above though.