Gransnet forums

Chat

Help! The house I want to buy is timber framed

(78 Posts)
Eglantine21 Sat 17-Nov-18 08:45:30

I didn’t know until the surveyors report came in. NowIm anxious about it.

At least not about the house itself. The report says it’s sound and has been built well. But about selling it at some point.

Is it going to be hard to sell? Would you buy a timber frame house? Have you and do you live in one? Would you expect to pay less than the market price for a timber frame rather than a bricks and mortar?

I just want to gauge what the market would be like on a resale. It’s a perfect property for someone retired who wants to be close to town.

Someone like me. What do you think?

MiniMoon Sat 17-Nov-18 22:38:55

Eglantine, I can't tell you how our house is insulated, but we don't have any damp issues. It was built in 1983 and insulation may well be different now.
We have a satellite dish with holes drilled for the cables. When we moved in we had new double glazed windows throughout to replace the single glazing. A new kitchen and last winter, a new combi boiler. The new pipework must have breached the walls as it is situated on an outside wall.
We have not encountered any problems of any kind and our house is cosy and watertight.
I hope this has helped with your dilemma. Good luck with the house.

Eglantine21 Sat 17-Nov-18 22:47:16

Thank you MiniMoon. I really want this house to be Ok. Just terrified of making a bad decision!

Nannarose Sun 18-Nov-18 07:35:35

Getting nearer now!
Holes: ones already done, no worry about them, any more than in any house.
Holes to be made come into these categories:
tiny ones for small pictures should be OK on the internal wall material.
small ones to take weight (such as for shelves) must be made in to the timber because the insulating material will not take the weight. There should be plans showing where the timbers run - if not then whoever is putting them up has to knock on the walls to guess and then make a 'test hole'.
You can't knock down timbers to make large holes in walls because of weakening the structure.
I don't know why your friend told you that you mustn't breach the insulating material - it must be to do with the insulating stuff itself in their house. Can the surveyor tell you what was used (then you can google it)? Most timber frame houses have 'soft' insulation that you can stuff in all the gaps (ah yes, I remember it well!)

No more damp penetrates than in an ordinary house. Are you worried about the wood getting damp? It is treated against rot and damp, but as I've said, any damp shouldn't come anywhere near the wood anyway as all the pipework passes through the gaps in the frame.

The house should have some sort of warranty - although they only last for about 10 years these days, it is an indicator that it was built to correct standards. Legally it should be - I presume you have asked the surveyor? So that you know how it works, the local authority building inspector comes out to inspect at every significant stage of a self-build house - the builders submit these certificates to one of the major warranty companies. We used LABC www.labcwarranty.co.uk/ but they all work the same way.
Whatever else, the local building inspector must have signed off that it was a sound building.
So, in my opinion, you need to ask the surveyor again about its integrity as a building (nothing to do with the timber frame)

Do you know if they used a timber frame company, or designed the frame themselves? I would look up the company, but if you want a general idea about how timber frame houses / self -build works, this is one of the biggest companies: www.potton.co.uk/design-build/pricing-structure-build-cost-guide
this may also help: www.homebuilding.co.uk/

CarlyD7 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:05:36

Do you know how long it's been on the market? I think there used to be an issue with getting a mortgage to buy a non-traditional house in the UK (i.e. not bricks & mortar). No idea if that is still the case - might be worth ringing up a few banks and building societies to find out? If it IS still the case, then you might find it a bit more difficult to sell in the future - it means that only cash buyers (who don't need a mortgage) would be interested (and the fact that you're a bit worried about it, means that others might be too?) I think you need to gather more information.

Tamayra Sun 18-Nov-18 09:06:25

Lots of houses here in Australia are timber framed
We just have them treated for termites
Just make sure you get good insulation in the walls & loft
Good luck smile

Caro57 Sun 18-Nov-18 09:09:33

I would buy it off you!

Rosina Sun 18-Nov-18 09:25:21

I have lived in a timber framed house built hundreds of years ago; it had no foundations but had stood the test of time, had no cracks, was warm, and beautiful to look at. Perhaps not quite the same thing, but a planning department of today would probably throw their hands up in horror and refuse to allow that lovely house to be built!

minxie Sun 18-Nov-18 09:30:16

Aren’t all new houses timber framed these days. If it’s a persimmons house drop it immediately

TenGran Sun 18-Nov-18 09:38:31

You will need to be guided by your surveyor for this particular house. We converted a timber framed barn 10 year’s ago and noe live in it. Three hundred year old frame and roof timbers with modern high spec insulation and underfloor heating. It’s brilliant and I can put shelves and stuff any where I want.

grandMattie Sun 18-Nov-18 09:41:25

Like MiniMoon our timber-framed house was built in 1983. we sold it to a chartered surveyor in 2012. He seemed to have no problem about it. It hink it depends who build it and how it was built.

rizlett Sun 18-Nov-18 09:44:31

Virtually every house built today by developers will be timber frame. Its the standard mode of construction.

Years ago when they first began in the UK there was difficulty in getting mortgages and therefore people viewed these properties as cheaper however timber frame has moved on a lot since those days.

POBCOB Sun 18-Nov-18 10:02:06

Our first house was timber frame which was very warm and cosy and no problem to sell. Our current house is brick built which our surveyor at the time called a ‘real house’ whatever that meant. Can’t say I noticed the difference from a living point of view apart from the warmth, but we hope to move soon so both timer frame or brick will be fine depending on which we fall in love with ?

Foxyferret Sun 18-Nov-18 10:14:03

My mums Cottage is timber framed. The only problem she has had is getting insurance. Not every company is keen to insure although she is insured after searching the web. No problems with damp though.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 18-Nov-18 10:29:20

Welshwife My US family live in the mid west and their present house, timber framed, was built at the beginning of the 20C.No problem getting their mortgage. In fact there is not a lot within the property that isn't constructed of timber where appropriate.

GabriellaG Sun 18-Nov-18 10:32:13

Buildings insurance might be costlier.

red1 Sun 18-Nov-18 10:34:28

being a retired builder I would say a modern timber framed house with its manufactured woodchip type walls -no .what when damp gets in?the whole thing will soak up damp like a sponge,easy to reapir-yes rip out walls. they have plastic membranes in them that will degrade, mice if they get in will have a field day. they also have little thermal mass to hold heat in. now if you are going to build it like the oak buildings of yesterday ,or look at Scandinavian type houses,then I would say yes. at best I would say they are temporary and wont be around in 100 years.not a great inheritance! think hard about them and get different opinions

TellNo1Ok Sun 18-Nov-18 10:59:49

We lived in a timber framed house for over 20 years ... the fact is it had been built in 1460s Yes a medieval house ... you’ve all seen them .. black and white timber framed ... built by men in tights... still standing.. still selling... see us out and generations to come...

Coppernob Sun 18-Nov-18 11:01:19

My son and daughter in law’s first house was timber framed and they had no problems with it all. They loved it and only sold it because it wasn’t big enough for them once the three little girls had come along. It sold very quickly with no queries raised by the buyers or their solicitors.

Lazigirl Sun 18-Nov-18 11:02:28

We bought a new house timber framed brick clad 9 years ago, this is a very common way of building now. There were no problems with insurance or mortgage and the house is very well insulated and costs little to heat. We have knocked a hole through for balanced flue fire with no problems of damp at all. Certainly you can put up shelves and things otherwise there’d be no internal fittings.

bernie777 Sun 18-Nov-18 11:09:21

I can't see the problem, if well built they're perfect. I live in a 400 year old timber framed house that's still standing. It could do with thicker walls, but the timber itself is ageless and beautiful. Many modern eco friendly houses are built with timber frames these days

mabon1 Sun 18-Nov-18 11:21:30

We have timber framed houses in our town that date back to 1400's, still standing!!!

Nanny41 Sun 18-Nov-18 11:34:56

We live in Sweden and most houses are built in timber, in fact it is unusual to find houses built of brick and mortar here, timber houses last for years and years.
Buy the lovely house and enjoy many years in it.

4allweknow Sun 18-Nov-18 11:44:56

Timber framed in USA and Canada are generally regarded as not being "long term" with the expectation the property will be demolished in about 50 years and then new build on site. Went to school one morning, came back to a rental up the road, old house had been demolished pending new build on site. This was the done thing. Timber framed, advice received from a person involved in the business when visiting UK is not as long lasting as bricks and motar.

Juliet27 Sun 18-Nov-18 11:46:45

Yes Fennel, I was wondering too about whether it makes a difference to insurance costs.

Nannarose Sun 18-Nov-18 12:46:53

red1, I don't know why a timber frame house would have woodchip walls? This is information that Eglantine needs to get from the surveyor.
We built ours, so I know that we have a treated timber frame, insulating wool, fermacell walls inside, and brick cladding out. This information should be available for the house Eglantine is considering.
My understanding is that timber frame houses in the US & Canada, are built very differently, with completely different standards to the UK, so I am not sure how much the advice is relevant.