Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas

(6 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 10-Dec-18 13:57:36

Is it me? Try as I might I can't get into the Christmas spirit and I'm really trying. I am spending time with my family over Christmas on a family holiday so not alone, and I am with my new (and only) GD so really thrilled. I think half the problem is that my birthday is on Christmas Day - wish it wasn't. I tried having an unofficial one (like the queen) but nothing happened! I can't even come up with a good reason for being maudlin. I read this site and there are many who have so many awful things going on in their lives which makes me feel guilty for feeling like this. Anyone fancy trying to cheer me up - anything will do?

Teetime Mon 10-Dec-18 14:00:53

Well I'm not so cheerful due to a family bereavement but I do find some cheerful rather than serious TV helps especially children films. DD1 was widowed last week and she spent the weekend with us - it was lovely to see her laughing at the film Bridget Jones Baby.

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Dec-18 15:17:18

Newatthis Welcome.
Is this always the case regarding your birthday and Christmas?

A new grandchild is a joy however it also reminds us of 'The circle life' and our own mortality.
Try and let your christmas celebrations unfold with out too much thought.

If you are away with family why not say that your birthday this year will be Christmas Eve or Boxing day.
Few comedy DVDs may be just the thing as Teetime has said a little laughter can help. (activates the endomorphines thingys in the brain?).

Happy Birthday for your chosen day or time ?

Teetime thanks

rockgran Mon 10-Dec-18 16:20:45

Stop trying! There is a saying by Nathaniel Hawthorne that could also be applied to the "Christmas Spirit" -

"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."

Happy Birthday! tchsmile

Newatthis Fri 14-Dec-18 14:11:09

Thank you everyone!

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 14:41:32

I'll be even happier on Christmas Eve when I've got everything I need and my front door is locked barred and shuttered for the rest of the day and night and if I've forgotten anything-------tuff !