Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping for personal services

(7 Posts)
notentirelyallhere Thu 13-Dec-18 16:40:44

Apologies, doubtless this has been asked before! However, I've just found a lovely massage person and I've seen her for the second time and it suddenly dawned on me when I paid her that I suspect she was expecting a tip!

Where I lived before, I used to have a monthly massage but payment was always done through reception and there was never a hint of any need for extras. That was in a complementary health centre though and this is above a hairdressing salon where they also do nails etc. I feel mean if she expected a tip and I didn't give one. I do feel exasperated sometimes about tipping, I'm happy to pay whatever is the going rate without a mental wrestle at the end! What do you all do?

M0nica Thu 13-Dec-18 17:13:31

If the person is self-employed and charges a rate for the job. Just pay the amount, no tip. I went to the beautician this morning. She is self-employed and rents a room in a hairdressers. I pay what she asks and no tip.

sodapop Thu 13-Dec-18 17:23:21

No tipping unless you have been given a service over and above what is expected.
I was a bit apprehensive about the content of this thread after seeing the title notentirely
grin

notentirelyallhere Thu 13-Dec-18 19:26:26

I did wonder what to call it sodapop especially after that thread about vibrators! grin

PamelaJ1 Thu 13-Dec-18 20:31:28

I’m a beauty therapist AKA a massage ‘person’?
I am self employed and don’t expect a tip. It’s not necessary.
Some clients do like to to give something extra but I’d rather have a nice client who doesn’t tip than a difficult one that who does.

Buffybee Sat 15-Dec-18 02:31:36

If the person is self employed, I pay whatever the cost is, no tip.
When I go to the hairdressers, I have the owner of the salon for my hair, so no tip for her but I always tip the juniors who do the hair washing.
Same with nails and pedicure, I just pay whatever it is, no tip as she is self employed.

Blue45Sapphire Sat 15-Dec-18 08:22:06

I don't tip at the hairdressers either, as I have the owner of the salon, and it's expensive enough already. I may pop in next week with a box of biscuits or chocolates though, for them to share for Christmas.