Gransnet forums

Chat

Patience is a virtue..

(67 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 15-Dec-18 15:41:35

If you buy something new; shampoo or toothpaste for example, that you've not had before, do you wait until your current one is finished?
I can't resist opening the new one just for a little 'try'.

leeds22 Sun 16-Dec-18 11:22:52

I derive an odd satisfaction from using up something completely, which sometimes includes cutting tubes in half to extract all that I have paid for. Then it’s lovely starting a new item. Guess it’s my hard up childhood.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Dec-18 11:24:49

I do that too.
If I can get a couple more weeks out of something, I'm happy. (Tight.Arse.Emoji)

ffinnochio Sun 16-Dec-18 11:51:09

I’m user-upper - same with food. ?

mumofmadboys Sun 16-Dec-18 11:51:48

I do the same with things like new socks. I can't keep them till I need them. I just have to wear them.

widgeon3 Sun 16-Dec-18 12:38:36

merlot gran
I was a war baby and can afford now to buy new if necessary but was used to wearing jumpers from unpicked woollen garments, my' new skirt' made from my grandmother's old one, ironed wrapping paper, string and rubber bands made into a neat ball.... very inventive meals from leftovers
Old habits die hard and my house is full of old stuff waiting to be re-used.... maybe when recycling becomes even more important, my children will show more interest in my caches.
You acquired your Merlot taste early merlot gran, I imagine..... certainly well post war. My grandmother's pre-war and war-time tipples were all conjured up from hedgerow supplies, mis-shapen vegetables and windfalls

Lilyflower Sun 16-Dec-18 12:40:20

I never open a new anything until the old one is finished. My DD, in contrast, has five cans of deodorant on her dressing table, none finished. It would drive me nuts!

jendean Sun 16-Dec-18 13:09:49

My father now deceased used to have the irritating habit of slapping the nearly used up piece of soap on to the new bar. Even as a small child this offended my sensibilities, particularly if the two were of different colours. It took away the pleasure of having a new bar of soap to wash with! Does this resonate with anyone else?

Jaycee5 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:21:16

It has never occurred to me to open a new package until I have opened the old one unless I am not keen on the one I am using in which case I would put it to the side until I run right out.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:25:34

I din't use deodorant as I don't sweat and anyway, I don't agree with the contents which can be harmful.
I hope GNers rinse their used kitchen and bathroom sprays/empty shampoo/shower gel/hand wash bottles etc and put in recycling bins grin
I decided to only buy paraben/sulphate free toiletries and gave away the many unused volumising mousses/shampoos and other toiletries.
I only have 1 shampoo, 1 pump bottle of hair masque and that's it. I use Korres Mango in the shower/bath and Palmers body butter afterwards. Palmolive original or Imperial Leather soap for hand washing. It feels so good not to have to make choices from dozens of bottles on my (now empty) shelves, mind you, the items I do buy are more expensive but exactly the right products for my skin and hair.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Dec-18 13:27:10

* din't don't.

merlotgran Sun 16-Dec-18 13:35:28

tipples were all conjured up from hedgerow supplies, mis-shapen vegetables and windfalls

Sounds like life chez merlot these days, widgeon. We have a fairly self-sufficient lifestyle wherever possible and there's plenty of home-brew.

What goes around comes around but I do like the wine rack to have a good supply of the real wine grin

HurdyGurdy Sun 16-Dec-18 14:02:59

I waver. I try not to open any new toiletry type stuff before the last lot runs out. Because I can guarantee I will like the new stuff better, and won't return to finish off the old stuff.

My lack of willpower explains why I have so many bottles of two thirds empty products grin

Tillybelle Sun 16-Dec-18 14:29:44

Wait. Sometimes months. I've always been able to "delay gratification" as they say!

Saggi Sun 16-Dec-18 14:38:25

Where can I get a sop bar?

Saggi Sun 16-Dec-18 14:38:52

Sorry....I mean of course ‘shampoo bar’

Legs55 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:42:56

jendean I remember DM sticking old pieces of soap to the new bar, I hated it too & would never do it now.

As I have very sensitive skin I tend to buy the same products so no need to open before old one used up.

New clothes however that's a different matter I sometimes try them on straight awaythlgrin

aggie Sun 16-Dec-18 14:49:35

We had to wear new clothes ( rare in those days ) to Mass on a Sunday , before putting them in the cupboard to wear the next important day . Old jumper got a go as everyday item , then got ripped back to knit into something else Sunday coat never got demoted , worn till it was halfway up my arms then passed to my sister

sarahellenwhitney Sun 16-Dec-18 15:25:54

Misssadvenure
A 12 portion sized cheese cake I bought for half price and was to be frozen until my coffee and cake xmas eve event
Although having other cheese cakes in my freezer that particular cheesecake is now only a ten portion size.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 16-Dec-18 15:59:13

I use every last bit before opening a new bottle of anything. I even cut plastic tubes in half to get the last bit of hand cream etc out. I find there's enough left inside for another week. I fit the two halves back together which seems to keep the contents fresh for a few days.

I've gone back to soap for hand washing to try and reduce plastic use and my goodness doesn't a bar of soap go on for ever!

Have also tried the shampoo bar and am not impressed. It's impossible to rinse out thoroughly, even with a final rinse of cider vinegar and water, which, by the way is a great de tangler.

I'll be interested MissA in how you find it.
Mine is now relegated to hand washing upstairs.

jocelyne Sun 16-Dec-18 16:09:40

Where did you buy your shampoo bar ? I would like to try a different one from the one I use now. Thanks.

moggie57 Sun 16-Dec-18 16:13:03

use the old one up first. and then cut the bottom off the tube, as there is loads more in it..

olliebeak Sun 16-Dec-18 16:32:38

I'm another who just HAS to use up a bottle of something BEFORE opening a new one ....................... brought up by 'waste not, want not grandparents' in the 50's. I STILL rinse bottles out to get the very last bit out blush.

I freak out when I go to my daughter's house - there are so many opened bottles of different Shower Gel, Body Lotion, Shampoo, Conditioner, Hand-wash Soap on her window ledge. Makes me want to stand there and 'decant' them so there's only ONE of each left open wink.

Barleysugar Sun 16-Dec-18 16:55:56

jocelyne,

Try Lush Shampoo Bars. They are brilliant & last for months, as you only need a very small amount.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 16-Dec-18 17:26:36

I try to wait but then I must be a bit of a masochist. I was once told that if the pleasure is delayed it is sweeter. Who knows if that's true.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Dec-18 17:48:43

I was going to order a lush shampoo bar from eBay, but I couldn't bring myself to part with that much money!
I ordered a £2.99 one.
Apparently it does take time for your hair to get accustomed to them, as they don't contain any of the chemicals and so on.
I shall report back.