Gransnet forums

Chat

Couch,settee or sofa...

(79 Posts)
farview Sun 16-Dec-18 10:58:02

I tend to say sofa... sometimes couch..what do you say ?

Juggernaut Fri 21-Dec-18 15:47:40

If you're in the NW and looking for a couch/sofa/settee, try Stokers, they have branches in Chester, Ormakirk and Southport. They have gorgeous furniture.

travelsafar Thu 20-Dec-18 08:06:10

Ours are called sofas and they are in 'the room' we only have one room apart from the kitchen and bathroom downstairs so hence the name.

Marydoll Thu 20-Dec-18 07:55:42

Have a look at Wayfair. I got a small two seater from them which fitted perfectly into my craft room.

BBbevan Thu 20-Dec-18 07:51:51

Thank you Maggie

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Dec-18 11:51:25

I was thinking about replacing ours for Christmas, BBbevan, and we'd need a small and a large. I found that Sofa Workshop and made.com both had a good choice of small ones on offer. There are so many companies though, and so much choice, and I think that's why I never got round to it!

BBbevan Tue 18-Dec-18 03:51:42

We are looking for a small 2 seater sofa for our kitchen. Any ideas ladies ?

agnurse Mon 17-Dec-18 23:47:06

We usually say couch.

You could be really out there and use the Canadian term chesterfield grin

Maggiemaybe Mon 17-Dec-18 23:32:43

The mind boggles, Marmight! tchgrin

Marmight Mon 17-Dec-18 10:25:12

Just googled settee/sofa.
I think I shall rename the sofa 'tete a tete'. Do come in Vicar and make yourself comfortable on my tete a tete ?

Juggernaut Mon 17-Dec-18 10:21:25

Maggiemaybe & Marydoll
We have two front rooms, with two couches in one and one in the other, as it's very, very infrequently used as a 'formal' dining room,
The back room is where we spend most of our time, and there are two couches in there, with another small couch in the kitchen!
They're all couches, and visitors are encouraged to kick of their shoes and sprawl on them!

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 09:39:51

JackyB that is interesting because we have bought a new sofa/settee recently and we noticed that the more upmarket (and expensive) the store the more likely it was to have the word 'sofa' in its name.

harrigran Mon 17-Dec-18 09:39:33

When I was a child we had a neighbour who confused me by telling me to go and sit on the chesterfield, I didn't have a clue what a chesterfield was. I usually say settee but rather depends on who I am talking to.

JackyB Mon 17-Dec-18 08:51:36

I think "settee" sounds posher.

M0nica Mon 17-Dec-18 08:26:08

sofa or settee

Marydoll Mon 17-Dec-18 07:07:46

Maggiemaybe, you and me also! grin.
In fact I have two in the conservatory, is that a quadruple looked down on?

absent Mon 17-Dec-18 02:34:26

I have always said sofa but now live in a country where this item of furniture is always called a couch. Consequently, I sometimes call it a cofa or a souch when talking distractedly to my grandchildren.

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Dec-18 23:16:27

I’ve got two couches in my front room, so can be doubly looked down on!

etheltbags1 Sun 16-Dec-18 22:12:55

Sofa for me

callgirl1 Sun 16-Dec-18 21:39:24

Settee, unless I`m buying a new one, then I say I`m looking for a sofa, sounds posher.

gmelon Sun 16-Dec-18 21:19:43

It's a sofa for me.

grumppa Sun 16-Dec-18 21:02:54

Settee when I was a child, now it's a sofa. I would have thought that in these #Metoo times, couch has too many echoes of casting.

At a slight tangent, has anyone else noticed the increasing use of chaise lounge instead of chaise longue? Ignorance, stupid auto-correct, Americanism, or a new word devised by a lover of anagrams?

Happiyogi Sun 16-Dec-18 21:00:09

Haha NfkDumpling, your granny would have been looking askance at my mother! Always and only couch where I lived. Settee was considered common!

This is getting like the old sketch about the British class system where everyone is looking down at someone! grin

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Dec-18 20:36:30

Settee most of the time but I find I’m using sofa more often so I may be getting posher. Definitely never couch. My granny looked down on those who said couch.

Marmight Sun 16-Dec-18 19:56:43

My sofa is in my front & back room. (It's double aspect grin)
My parents always referred to the settee. I'm not sure when I lost the settee and became a sofa convert, but I definitely prefer it to settee which sounds very 'between the wars'. Sofa sounds more comfortable and squishy.. never couch which I find a very strange, hard, uncomfortable sort of word

mcem Sun 16-Dec-18 19:40:10

Thanks soda . I have a problem that the "garden room*, the dining area and the kitchen all occupy the same space!
Lots of lovely old buildings locally are being converted to fairly upmarket flats but most have the kitchen as part of the living room and no separate sitting room!
I don't like this because the settee/sofa /couch then doubles up as a room divider !!