Gransnet forums

Chat

Hot Water Bottle

(25 Posts)
Daddima Mon 17-Dec-18 17:42:06

I recently bought two of these for the beds in the spare room used by sleepingover grandchildren. I tried one out recently, and am now a devotee!
I like a cold room and a warm bed, and the hottie does the job perfectly!

( P.S. I go to bed long before the Bodach!)

fourormore Mon 17-Dec-18 17:53:14

I couldn't live without my microwave bean bag that acts as a hot water bottle without the danger of leaks! Like you I don't like a hot bedroom but don't like to be cold smile

Jessity Mon 17-Dec-18 17:59:52

A hottie is one of life’s delights. I too prefer a cool bedroom but my feet are the coldest things not already in the freezer and I love being able to put them on the hottie.

jusnoneed Mon 17-Dec-18 18:12:22

I have started using one again, I find my feet take ages to warm up otherwise. No heat in my bedroom so the bed is chilly when I get in.
I remember using one of the old stone bottles when I was a child and stayed with my grandparents during school holidays. That was a real novelty to a child lol.

Charleygirl5 Mon 17-Dec-18 18:47:56

I love my hot water bag-the electric blanket cooled down too quickly and I did not want to leave it on all night.

Culag Mon 17-Dec-18 19:08:15

I sleep alone so love my hot water bottle. It’s still warm in the mornings ?. I had to dispense with the electric blanket as lying on it was not good for the damaged nerves in my legs.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 19:15:00

I LOOOOVE my hottie bottles have always had them since a kid used them for warmth, comfort, ear ache back ache tooth ache period pains My bedroom is cold so two duvets and two hottie bottles one for feet one to cuddle
My youngest has Reynauds so for Christmas I ve bought her one that’s about 4 foot long a whole body hottie bottle Might get myself one of those

cornergran Mon 17-Dec-18 19:21:43

My trusty hottie sprang a leak the other night. Found myself lying in a puddle. Oops!

SueDonim Mon 17-Dec-18 19:44:50

Did you never have a hot water bottle as a child, Daddima? Or maybe you live in Australia!

I love my hot water bottle. I was miserably cold in bed last night but was too lazy to get up and make one. Won't make that mistake tonight!

Mine has a fur fabric cover that is shaped like a sheep, with limbs and ears made from floral fabric. It's from M&S, about 20 years old, and I've had to replace the actual bottle but it's so cosy and is still warm in the mornings.

Bathsheba Mon 17-Dec-18 20:36:42

My hot water bottle is one of the few things I love about the winter months! I have one with a fluffy fleecy cover which keeps it warm all night. I love a cool bedroom and I can't bear electric blankets which make the whole bed warm - I prefer to get into a bed with cold, crisp sheets, and a hottie to cuddle up to (Hugh Jackman perhaps? grin).
jusnoneed we had a stone hot water bottle when I was a child, a leftover from my mother's childhood home, but I absolutely loved it and always opted for it over the rubber ones!

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 20:38:43

Had the stone bottles too and still have a couple lying around

Bathsheba Mon 17-Dec-18 20:39:33

Bluebelle I've seen those long 'whole body' hot water bottles, but I would worry about filling them - my hands aren't as strong as they were (arthritis) and these days I always hold the hot water bottle on the worktop as I fill it. I don't trust my hands holding the weight as it fills up otherwise!

rubysong Mon 17-Dec-18 21:47:28

We have bags of wheat which heat up in the microwave. I made them years ago and they have removable covers.

NfkDumpling Mon 17-Dec-18 22:10:46

We have a Tempur memory foam mattress and apparently you can’t use electric blankets with them, so a hottie it is for me too. Suits me fine, much nicer on an aching back.

We use a stone hot water bottle as a door stop!

Auntieflo Mon 17-Dec-18 22:26:56

I’m just off to warm up my lavender wheat bag now. Thanks for the reminder.
Sleep tight all

phoenix Mon 17-Dec-18 22:26:57

Many years ago when ex dh & I bought an old cottage that had no heating, apart from a fire in the sitting room, hot water bottles were very much the order of the day (night).

I remember going to bed one night, after ex dh and deciding that I would steal the hot water bottle that he had at his feet.

I was wearing socks in bed, as it was so cold, and stretched out my toes to grasp the neck of the hot water bottle.

Having got a grip, I started to tug on it, but it didn't move!

I tugged more, but to no avail, so then I lifted the edge of the duvet to find that I had firmly grasped the neck of our Jack Russell, who had burrowed down to the warmest spot in the bed!

The look on her face was beyond description.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Dec-18 22:28:22

A warm little dog Phoenix. The next best thing ever.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Dec-18 22:34:12

Filling up a hot water bottle, the smell, reminds me of my childhood.
Tucked so tightly into bed we could barely breath, with our flannelette nighties on, our toenails cut, and our necks scrubbed. smile

Pat1949 Mon 17-Dec-18 23:17:55

I love a hot water bottle or two. When I was young, my Grandad warmed house bricks in the fire and put them in the bed. My mum used glass Domestos bottles, bless her, and for Christmas one year I actually had a rubber elephant shaped one.

chelseababy Tue 18-Dec-18 09:19:28

In the recent cold snap we bought a fleece fitted bottom sheet -lovely to snuggle in to! Also use heated wheat bags sometimes.

Lazigirl Tue 18-Dec-18 09:59:29

Never mind the winter, I use my hottie bottle most of the year, perhaps barring a few weeks in August grin I would be wary of using a hot water bottle on a Tempura mattress Nfk. Our mattress had a warning against it, I suppose in the event of it leaking? It's in the spare room now, the mattress that is, I prefer my hottie!

Izabella Tue 18-Dec-18 10:04:22

Off topic for keeping warm, but hot water bottles filled with cold water and left in the 'fridge are the most wonderful thing for hot flushes, high temperatures, sprained ankles etc.(Without woollen sheep covers I hasten to add.!) Also saves wasting a bag of frozen peas.

JackyB Tue 18-Dec-18 10:13:54

I have one with a sort of mud/peat in it. Takes a minute in the microwave and stays warm for ages. I sleep much better with warm feet.

SueDonim Tue 18-Dec-18 13:12:49

I didn't know that about memory foam mattresses! Oh well, I've been using a hottie bottie on my memory foam mattress for several years and nothing dramatic hasn't happened. Yet. grin

fairisle Tue 18-Dec-18 14:01:22

I also love my hottiegrin