Gransnet forums

Chat

My Eureka moment!

(22 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 30-Dec-18 08:32:12

kitty you're right, it's not a new recipe but apparently (according to the interweb) the info that the cubes can be crumbled "went viral" only in recent years:

The hack went viral in 2016, and a whole new crowd of people have just made the discovery.

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-18 08:09:41

I don't think the Oxo thing is new because I used to do it before I stopped using them about 8 years ago.

wellingtonpie Sun 30-Dec-18 06:56:15

Ha ha. I reckon we must all be numpties. ????

Grannyknot Sat 29-Dec-18 22:32:31

I think the recipe for the Oxo Beef Cubes was changed fairly recently so they can be crumbled, so don't beat yourself up if you didn't know about it, it's a new thing.

My Eureka moment recently was to discover that our car has warning lights for reversing that go 1-2-3-4 (before it beeps in alarm) - so now I no longer get really close to crashing it when I reverse in a tight spot! We've only had it for 4 years ...

Lynnebo Sat 29-Dec-18 21:53:14

Oh my days! 3 children and 7th grandchild due in April and I never realised about the baby’s vests - so obvious now.
And I’ve just visited the kitchen to check out the cling film and foil boxes! Wow!
Thank you both! gringrin

Jane43 Sat 29-Dec-18 21:47:55

I used to use body exfoliating products in the shower but recently discovered exfoliating gloves. Just put them on and use your regular shower product, no need to buy body exfoliator any more.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Dec-18 21:25:59

My “eureka moment” was realising if I put duvet cover, sheets and pillow cases inside of a pillow case in the airing cupboard all sets are easy to find and together.

Gonegirl Sat 29-Dec-18 20:50:24

But then you miss the finger licking bit afterwards.

Gonegirl Sat 29-Dec-18 20:49:30

Oh! The foil round the Oxo cube! I get it now.

No need to be sarky.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 29-Dec-18 12:58:59

Gonegirl What planet do you live on ?gringringrin

KatyK Sat 29-Dec-18 12:20:35

I've just found out that a box of foil or cling film has a little thing at each end of the box that you push in.
This keeps the foil/film in place so it can be ripped off smoothly.

Elegran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:19:36

Like this, gonegirl Wrapping them neatly is easy enough, but printing all that on the outside takes a bit of doing. grin

Have you never used Oxo cubes?

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Dec-18 12:10:42

Oxo cubes come in their own foil, Gonegirl, so you crumble them before opening them. Good tip.

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Dec-18 12:08:33

Peel off the unwanted surround bit on a page of stickers before giving it to a toddler, then they can get the stickers off easily by themselves.

And those baby vests are designed to be pulled down instead of over a baby’s head (very cautiously) when dirty or wet.

I learnt both these things from Mumsnet last year. I wish I’d known them 38 years ago!

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 12:04:01

Rolls eyes.

Gonegirl Sat 29-Dec-18 11:50:05

I don't understand about the Oxo cube in foil thing. What is being cooked? And how do you get the Oxo inside the foil without opening it?

Sorry to be thick.

JackyB Sat 29-Dec-18 11:43:23

We have a bath every Sunday morning and I do exfoliating and then apply a face (and hair) pack. It means the bathtub gets cleaned regularly and the steamy atmosphere opens the pores and improves the effectiveness of the treatments.

Make sure the bits in the scrub are organic, as the microplastic ones are really dangerous for marine organisms.

The Oxo trick is good.

I remember once being proud that I could show my sister that it was quicker to clean a comb with the nailbrush than to scrape between each tooth individually with a cocktail stick. She was such a know-it-all when we were younger. (Actually, she still is!) But she grudgingly conceded that was a more efficient way of doing it.

Magrithea Sat 29-Dec-18 11:10:18

Urmstongran I've always used exfoliator in the shower as I hate all that splashing about in the sink!!

marpau I didn't know about the OXO trick until this year and my DD showed me! Interestingly it works with beef but not so well with chicken OXO cubes!

grannyqueenie Sat 29-Dec-18 11:05:22

Embarrassed to say that after watching a grandchild tie shoelaces I now do it a bit differently... slow learner that’s me!

grannyqueenie Sat 29-Dec-18 11:03:39

I’ve only just discovered that too marpau, I’m guessing all those TV Adverts misled us!!

marpau Sat 29-Dec-18 11:00:43

I had a Eureka moment whilst helping DIL in the kitchen and saw her crumble an oxo cube inside the foil before opening it! How did I get to this age and not know this?

Urmstongran Fri 28-Dec-18 19:25:55

Anyone else use or have been bought facial exfoliating products? They often smell heavenly and you wet your face, apply the grainy cream then ‘rinse off’. Hmm. The rinsing off seemed never ending and I splashed water all around the sink area! And got my hairline wet or sticky with it. So the product mostly sat on a bathroom shelf..... until I decided to use it when showering! So much easier! How come I got to this age without my lightbulb moment? It rinses off a dream now!
Anyone else had their own Eureka moment - a great tip to share on how to do something so much better?