Gransnet forums

Chat

Meghan supporting women into work

(17 Posts)
WoodGreenie Thu 10-Jan-19 17:28:30

It's so nice to see a royal doing something useful. I was glad to see that she is supporting Smart Works, a charity that helps women get back into work if they've been struggling.

EllanVannin Thu 10-Jan-19 17:32:37

I think Meghan is going to be a hands-on Royal like Diana was, which is more in keeping with a modern Monarchy. Once the Queen and the Duke are gone the families will, without doubt all change.

maryeliza54 Thu 10-Jan-19 17:53:11

Well I’d like to see a Government that did this - proper wages, no zero hours contracts, affordable
childcare and available transport, training courses. A right not a charitable crumb from tables upporteded by an obscenely rich woman masquerading as a clothes horse who wears a coat and carries a handbag that cost thousands. The PR of the RF is truly to die for.

Day6 Thu 10-Jan-19 18:16:23

Meghan may be the figurehead for the group but I am not impressed really. Patronage is patronising when she is privileged and wealthy and completely shielded from hardship. It's almost like second hand virtue-signalling (In that someone has put her name to a worthy cause to make her 'royalness' seem gracious, generous and of value, when it is nothing of the sort.)

I agree with maryeliza here. It's not just women who need a hand up into the world of work. Young people also need training courses and schemes whereby they are paid while they train, in any capacity. Getting to and from work should not be a stumbling block to the cash-strapped poor either. Government initiatives have been sadly lacking in this quarter for decades.

EllanVannin Thu 10-Jan-19 18:20:20

Meghan was wealthy before she joined the Royal family.

Anniebach Thu 10-Jan-19 18:39:02

Nice to see a royal doing something useful?

The Princes Trust

Centre point

Maternal mental health

Save The Children

Far too many to name , not useful ?

As for being like Diana, definitely, a love of the camera , let’s hope she doesn’t drop the charities in a hissy fit, just like Diana

Bridgeit Thu 10-Jan-19 18:40:22

We on here are privileged compared to many people in the world, does that mean we should never help anyone or donate for fear of being patronising?
Dammed if you do, dammed if you dont😏

EllanVannin Thu 10-Jan-19 19:15:52

Time will tell Anniebach.

paddyann Thu 10-Jan-19 19:53:57

its the "Lady Bountifull" attitude of these people that irritates me.They have no concept of the lives of the people they see pass their eyes...not meet really.Then we are all expected to be SOOO grateful for all their hard work and input!!!!Like someone said upthread,the RF publicity machine is second to none .

Anniebach Thu 10-Jan-19 19:59:42

paddyanne, going by your opinion ‘they have no concept of the lives of the people they see pass their eyes’ does not the same apply to those who care about the homeless, those struggling on benefits unless they go are homeless or on benefits ?

grannydee123 Sat 12-Jan-19 10:09:34

Hear, hear Day6 I couldn't have put it better myself.

Davidhs Sat 12-Jan-19 11:32:52

Meghan could not be more unlike Diana and I don't think comparisons are at all helpful
She is a self made woman who knows what she wants and is a very confident speaker as you would expect an experienced actress to be. If she continues as she had started she will be an asset to the Royal Family, as indeed Catherine has been
Best of luck to them both

merlotgran Sat 12-Jan-19 11:43:29

I have googled Smart Works because I'd never heard of it and I think it's a brilliant concept. There is so much involved in getting back into the world of work that it can be a daunting and expensive undertaking for some especially as smart and appropriate clothing is a must and not just for the interview but the first few weeks until pay day!!

Meghan's style is bound to inspire. She has (so far) managed to avoid being turned into a royal clone and to quote Rod Stewart, 'She wears it well!'

A worthwhile charity for her patronage because it will raise their profile.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:41:01

I think Smart Works is a good organisation. It provides clothing and helps with females self esteem to enable them to have the confidence to attend interviews with smart clothes which whilst shouldn't matter, actually makes a good first impression.

If Meghan sat on her backside and done nothing she would be harangued, I personally think she should be given a chance.

Sparklefizz Sat 12-Jan-19 12:45:54

I thought it was very poor form that Meghan turned up to Smart Works wearing incredibly expensive clothes.

merlotgran Sat 12-Jan-19 13:05:32

I agree, Sparklefizz. Off the peg high street would have been more appropriate and a bag full of donations would encourage her celeb friends to do likewise.

eazybee Sat 12-Jan-19 14:28:48

I gave some of my clothes a few years ago to Smart Works or something similar, an organisation aimed at simply providing outfits for women to wear to their first interview or provisional placement, following a long time out of the workplace. When I returned to work after four years at home with babies I would have welcomed this; my wardrobe consisted mainly of trousers, jumpers and a couple of best dresses, none of them suitable for interviews or work in the late seventies.

It will also be good if the younger royals are seen to patronise the Arts and Theatre, as opposed to the dreadful pop concerts the powers that appear to be seem to think are appropriate to celebrate milestone events. Prince Charles supports Shakespeare, Opera and Ballet, but none of the rest of the Family seem interested.