Gransnet forums

Chat

I feel so sorry for Mr P.

(42 Posts)
phoenix Fri 18-Jan-19 20:32:13

Evening all, good wishes etc.

Well, coming back from shopping, I just wanted to take to my bed.

Why? Because I had ventured into a photo booth in order to update my photocard driving licence.

I put my money in, and followed the instructions.

The hidden person/elf in the booth told me that if I wasn't happy with the photo, I could have another go, so I did.

Well, I could have been in there until Easter before there was a photo that I was "happy" with! sad

So, I conceded defeat, and pressed the green button.

The Elf informed me that my photos would be ready in 30 seconds, from the dispenser on the outside of the booth.

I put on my glasses, picked up my bag and exited.

Well, I don't know who sneaked in after I paid my £6, but she looks a right miserable old bat!

I know that smiling isn't allowed for these pictures, but nowhere did it say that you couldn't do that thing where you put your fingers either side of your eyes/cheekbones (delete where not applicable) and make an upward movement.

Ok, I didn't do the finger thing, but seeing the photo that I hope will be acceptable to the DVLA, has made me realise what poor Mr P has to look at on a daily basis!

Can non Muslims adopt the burkha?

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 11:47:54

I have a bus pass (not a free one; I'm too young and fresh!)
I know the picture is awful, but I showed it the other day on the bus, and the driver laughed and said "Bad day when you had that taken, was it?"

shysal Sat 19-Jan-19 11:04:53

I have found photos look better when I try to smile with my eyes, it softens the rest of the face.
The one on my bus pass looks OK because they slimmed it down to fit, and it was taken 12 years ago. Will they reproduce the same one for the rest of my life I wonder?

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Jan-19 10:57:29

phoenix keep Mr.P away from Spec Savers. There are others available.

Stansgran Sat 19-Jan-19 10:56:42

Some years ago we visited Siem Reap where you needed identity badges to enter the temple grounds. Our guide liked the dawn approach when it was cooler and in the scurry to get dressed we put on each other's identity lanyard. Different guards on either side of the car carefully scrutinised and passed us through. It was a blow as DH is bald with glasses and quite lined but in a handsome way.

Lazigirl Sat 19-Jan-19 10:14:55

Luckily no one much sees passport these days, with the iris recognition tech. Just drive carefully so driving licence never needs to be produced smile

harrigran Sat 19-Jan-19 09:51:33

We took our passport photos at home, I took two quick snaps of DH and one was accepted online. I had my hairdresser come and had my make up done, fifty photos later we still couldn't find an acceptable one. The next day I walked into a room, hair mussed and no make up, DH took the photo and what do you know ? I now have to live with this photo for the next ten years and on my driving licence.

DanniRae Sat 19-Jan-19 09:34:02

Yep, my passport photo is dreadful and the lady in the chemist who took it had two goes! I had to accept that that was how I looked...........dreadful!! confused
Happily I looked out a photo of me from 10 years ago and I don't look that different now. Mind you that's not to say that I looked up to much then!! hmm

Luckygirl Sat 19-Jan-19 09:31:53

I like the fact that you are not supposed to smile in these photos - when I do, the loss of flesh round my lips makes me look like a scary cadaver. I console myself with the idea that in real life my smile is radiant!

Luckygirl Sat 19-Jan-19 09:30:06

smile
I used to work as a photographer and took a passport photo for my Mum when she was early 70s. She was looking pretty grim anyway (illness not diagnosed at that stage) and the photo was pretty horrid, but sadly accurate. She hated it and said it made her look like an old woman. My father, always the epitome of tact, took it from her, looked at it and said: "You are old - that is what old women look like." Good old Dad! No wonder I grew up with no big head!

Humbertbear Sat 19-Jan-19 09:28:21

I paid £9 (as opposed to £6 in a photo booth) in our local branch of Snappy Snaps. The young man took three shots before he was happy with the result. It is the best passport type photo I have had in a long time but with no glasses, no smile and hair behind my ears, it is no pin up!

littleflo Sat 19-Jan-19 09:22:48

I am the same. I did think of putting my photo in the window of the door as a “Beware of the Owner” warning. I had no idea I Had such a sour old witch face.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 09:22:18

sorry, arithmetic all awry! I mean 21/22 year old swans blush

I'll be OK when I've had another brew

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 09:21:30

Has anyone tried this "ten year" craze that is all over the internet?
You put a photo of you now next to one taken 10 years ago. The premise is that you look better now
Does this just apply to gawky 11 or 12 year old ducklings who have transformed into beautiful 17/18 year old swans, Pittycity?

ninathenana Sat 19-Jan-19 09:16:03

When face timing with the GC I avoid looking at me in the corner of the screen.shock

Lindylou51 Sat 19-Jan-19 08:55:19

I remember my dear old dad after he had had his photo taken for his bus pass many years ago. After priding himself on his good Italian looks as a young man he came home and said "I never realised I looked so bloody ugly". It still makes us smile to think of it.

TwiceAsNice Sat 19-Jan-19 08:49:45

I never use a booth. I paid for a photo for my last passport ( last year) at a small private photographers in our town and got a very passable photo back. When I got my bus pass it was processed at the local library , the librarian took the photo and the card came the following week in the post. I was allowed to smile so that too was ok. Photo booths are evil, give me a person any day!

NannyJan53 Sat 19-Jan-19 08:48:25

I am always amazed when using my 'Senior Pass' on the train that the Ticket Collector does not question that the photo is me! I am a bit miffed about it actually smile

kittylester Sat 19-Jan-19 08:45:52

My phone face recognition didn't recognise my face this morning! confused

Pittcity Sat 19-Jan-19 08:42:11

Has anyone tried this "ten year" craze that is all over the internet?
You put a photo of you now next to one taken 10 years ago. The premise is that you look better now........grin

Alima Sat 19-Jan-19 06:38:05

Does this mean we do actually look better in real life than in a passport photo? And I was seriously thinking of adopting a burka-like garment when out and about.

Willow500 Sat 19-Jan-19 05:40:14

So funny! When I last applied for my passport renewal the woman in the post office took one look at the photo in my old passport and the new one and said she didn't think they'd accept the new one as I'd changed too much!! Tell me about it grin

I still have the green driving licence so haven't had that indignity yet but I'll shortly be eligible for a bus pass so will have to suffer the dreaded booth to get a photo. Might be better to just admit defeat and walk everywhere!

gmelon Sat 19-Jan-19 05:20:29

I have the same old hag leap in the photo each time I renew my Blue Badge.

I've got proof she's following me because she appears in all my previous, out of date badges and somehow sneaked on to my passport.

However, ha ha to her because she's looking worse every time whereas I am retaining my youthful looks.

Grandma2213 Sat 19-Jan-19 02:38:33

My latest driving licence photo actually looks like one of those Jane Doe photos they take of a corpse! How anybody recognises me from my passport photo beats me. As I usually smile at people when I am speaking to them surely they should allow a smile on the photos. My bus pass photo is lovely, taken by a young lady with a camera in the office where I applied for it. Yes I smiled and am recognisable even with a different hairstyle!

BBbevan Sat 19-Jan-19 02:28:21

My driving licence photo is just awful. Even DH ( bless him) was at a loss for words. I look as if I an sucking on a lemon. And old !

BradfordLass72 Sat 19-Jan-19 00:01:13

This gave me such a laugh! Thankyou smile

I don't have a problem, I've always been ugly and still am!!