Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's super supportive kitchen (with a wing for poorly menfolk)

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 20-Jan-19 11:31:49

Here we are again. Happy as can be. All good friends and jolly good company.

WELCOME!

callgirl1 Thu 21-Feb-19 23:12:02

Hugs Galen x

Galen Thu 21-Feb-19 23:01:48

Thanks Maw
I think you do understand what I’m going through.
I’m going to have a baklava tomorrow to remember when sailing back to the Exe from Torquay, we used to feed it to him to ward off seasickness.
( never understood why he felt seasick only on the return journey to our moorings rather than both ways)

MawBroon Thu 21-Feb-19 22:46:32

They are not mutually exclusive Galen.
As a mother my heart goes out to you and I hope your daughter V and the DGCs are a support and comfort.
Just because you are a “strong “ person does not mitigate the grief of this sad tragedy.

Galen Thu 21-Feb-19 22:28:55

My son/ daughter is being cremated tomorrow. We will not be there. They were pagan and left no instructions.
It is just a cremation with no ceremony and no attendance as it’s in Cambridge.
Just all the legal aftermath and large debts left to sort.
No will. Just debts.
I don’t know wether to grieve or be angry!

Charleygirl5 Thu 21-Feb-19 22:21:47

callgirl I have tried it many times and when he saw me appear at the front door he would usually run. He knows my car now and flees when I appear but that does not help my baby girl as I am obviously not around 24/7.

Luckily Tara has never been near oil so that was one less problem here.

Poor Mia is not going to like you tomorrow, taking her to see the vet.

callgirl1 Thu 21-Feb-19 21:17:20

Aw, poor Molly. Good luck with bathing the wound Ann, as Charley says, you might manage the first time, but cats aint daft she`ll know what you`re up to next time! Enjoy your break with your D and GC.
Charley, have you tried squirting bully boy with a water pistol?
I have to take Mia for her booster jab in the morning. She`s looking a bit scruffy with a bit of oil on her back tonight, but it`s too late to start washing her now. I`m thinking of dying her deepest black!

Charleygirl5 Thu 21-Feb-19 18:44:12

ann Molly is a feisty little minx- I do hope that the wound heals. You will be lucky if she allows you near her after she realises what you are about to do to her.

Tara was hesitant to go out today and no wonder, bully boy was sitting waiting for her. I have no idea where he lives but fortunately he was not blessed with brains because he has no idea how to negotiate the cat flap. She is
home now enjoying her supper.

annsixty Thu 21-Feb-19 17:50:00

Registration should read geriatrician.

annsixty Thu 21-Feb-19 17:48:58

Just back from the vet with Molly.
After keeping her in as instructed she has managed to pop her stitches and the wound looked quite sore.
She has had an injection of anti/b' s which is long-lasting and I am to try to bathe the wound twice daily with salt solution and take her back next week.

This morning I took my H to hospital to the falls clinic. We saw a lovely consultant registration who after conducting several tests concluded nothing could be done, the falls are due to the stroke which has left his right leg very weak..
My GD is coming shortly for a meal and to sort out staying next week to look after Molly while I have a few days staying with my D and GC..

soop Thu 21-Feb-19 17:27:14

Izabella Us lot return your good wishes. We are with you in spirit. flowers flowers sunshine and our love. x

I am logging off for now. Do you realise that we shall be opening a new kitchen sometime soon? Although I shall be in Campbeltown tomorrow, I shall try to keep an eye on the comings and goings. No way will there not be a kitchen for us all to meet in. That's a promise. smile moon

Izabella Thu 21-Feb-19 17:08:27

Well I feel overwhelmed by all your lovely posts, uplifting words and the many pm's I have received. Thank you all. The kitchen is certainly the place for sustenance of body and soul.

Definitely my last post for a while but will log on again in due course.

Thank you all again, and may everyone else struggling for whatever reason find some degree of peace and contentment somewhere, no matter how fleeting the moment.

soop Thu 21-Feb-19 14:44:04

Thank you, GrannyGravy13 You are a dear lady. x

soop Thu 21-Feb-19 14:35:14

I have finished ironing duties. Returned home to find a beautiful gift of fresh flowers containing Freesias. A great favourite of mine since MacSporran gave me some on our very first date.
Also, a very funny card from another Gransnetter. THANK you for your kindness. I shall PM you. sunshine

mrshat Thu 21-Feb-19 13:55:19

Izabella flowers

Mamissimo Thu 21-Feb-19 13:02:07

Izabella, Anno has conveyed exactly what I have been trying to find the words to say. Immerse yourself in life in whatever way gives you pleasure. Don’t deny yourself, follow your path and we will see you soon the the kitchen.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 21-Feb-19 12:52:56

Just popped in banana bread warm from oven left on the side.

Sending love and hugs of support to all in need.

Off back to my own kitchen to 3 GC demolition their lunch ???

Panache Thu 21-Feb-19 12:20:37

After hearing the devastating diagnoses that our Izabella has just been given we all tend to feel so helpless and haven`t quite the words to lighten the load.
Having only recently been diagnosed with AMD (dry) for which there has been no cure the hint of hope that has been raised only this week does uplift us and gives us a tiny window of hope for a possible better future..............something that all MD sufferers will embrace for sure.
Thinking of you Charlie especially.
It seems it maybe be possable to have Cell based therapy to
help if not heal and this has been tested out in Britain recently.

Only a small ray of hope but for those of us suffering it is much better than having nothing at all.

I can but hope that our Izabella with her unwelcome diagnoses may find a similar ray of hope to uplift and keep her ever moving forward in hope.
We certainly are alongside her on this journey and us lot in the Kitchen (as our Soop would be saying) will be there every step of the way.

cornergran Thu 21-Feb-19 00:04:08

News that no one wants to hear izabella, I’m so sorry you had to hear it. Yes, go in your walkabout with a positive spirit. You may be as you are now for a long while, especially with treatment. Chin up. Sending a hug.

Synonymous Wed 20-Feb-19 23:18:28

Izabella so very sorry to hear your news. (((hugs))) x flowers

annodomini Wed 20-Feb-19 22:35:42

Izabella, so sorry that you had to set out on your walkabout with such a wretched diagnosis hanging over you. I hope you are having experiences that will bring you back to us feeling enriched despite your apprehension about the future. You always bring so much to this forum and you will receive loads of support from us. ((((hugs))))

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Feb-19 21:29:46

Izabella that was horrendous news today but as others have said, there are now drugs on the market which will at least attempt to slow its progression.

N&G you must be pleased that half term is only a week long!!! Jackson and Cooper will have a whale of a time as always and Sam will also get very excited. With luck, the weather will remain mild and the boys can be running around outside.

soop Wed 20-Feb-19 20:08:55

Swanny Your message deserves a (hug) smile

Swanny Wed 20-Feb-19 18:53:18

Izabella so sorry to hear you are having that news to cope with on your walkabout. Try not to overthink the situation (I know, easier said than done) but just enjoy each day for what it gives you. In my working life I met many people with dementia who determined to be positive about the future and the continuing research into treatment and a cure. As someone else said, contact the Alzheimer's Society (if you haven't already) - they can provide lots of information for you, family and friends.

The kitchen is a welcoming place to be regardless of how you are feeling, and will keep you well fed and nurtured (((hugs)))

Swanny Wed 20-Feb-19 18:20:41

Willow500 My DS drove us from London to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park a couple of years ago on DGS' birthday so he could see the polar bears. Fantastic experience and we have some photos of the beautiful tigers too. As a child I'd lived about 50 miles further north so we drove on to see my old house, which was more emotional than I expected, then had a wonderful meal in the village pub before setting off back again to London. Long day for everyone but well worth every minute sunshine

kittylester Wed 20-Feb-19 18:00:26

Izabella, I too have pm'd you and would echo the advice others have given you on here.

I hope David's appointment is positive, callgirl.

I've warned Rutland and Leicestershire soop of your impending visit and the shops have stocked up on earplugs!

N&G, I'll see if you can sneak you a couple of pairs!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion