Gransnet forums

Chat

Online grocery shopping

(88 Posts)
llizzie2 Mon 21-Jan-19 01:48:45

Week before last I did something I have never done before: sent back with the driver the whole order. For months I have battled with being sent the wrong thing. At Christmas it was delivering uncut bread instead of the sliced I ordered. This had happened several times before and I make a point of making a note on subs: any sliced white bread. That time I returned the bread because I had some in the freezer. I have to say that my wrists are not strong enough to handle a knife safely and I have told the online shopping this several times. The last order I had none in the freezer and ordered several loaves, with the intention of freezing some. They had bloomers on special so I ordered that and noted any white sliced if they did not have it. When the shopping came all the bread was unsliced. Now I had a lot of food in the freezer to use up and I thought to myself 'if I send just the bread back I will have none, and I will have to wait until I need £40's worth to order bread' so I sent the lot back and phoned them explaining why. The chap on the phone said he understood and said he would have the order made up again with sliced bread, so instead of going elsewhere as I said I would, I agreed. I got the order next day and guess what? The bread was the same bread with the same date. They had kept it, opened the packets, sliced it and closed the packet again with another lot of sellotape. Then I looked at the frozen food. It had thawed out and been refrozen. The eclairs packet was a sheet of ice on one side and soggy on the other. The potatoes were not much better. The fresh meat chops were the same. Most had BB dates the day of delivery. I am 78 and disabled since 1987 and have put up with much since I first shopped online in 2005. Has anyone else sent the whole lot back?

muffinthemoo Mon 21-Jan-19 15:14:13

I use Sainsburys because wrangling three kids three and under round a supermarket solo to do a full shop is beyond the limits of my patience.

In order to remain a calm and pleasant parent, I have to take a few shortcuts here and there...!

Also, doing the full shop online means I can put the order together and do the week's meal plan after they are in bed. So for me it's more time efficient.

I can't fit a full shop in the car any more anyway, it's too full of children...!

Lilypops Mon 21-Jan-19 16:51:42

My daughter had her usual delivery from Tesco, in it was ONE Mushroom !! She had obviously ordered a punnet, what wise checker thought one mushroom would be useful '

Luckygirl Mon 21-Jan-19 16:54:39

I love the one mushroom!

Luckygirl Mon 21-Jan-19 16:58:04

I once ordered a section of brie from Tesco - they did not have it, so they sent a whole"wheel" of brie - all my friends and family had a chunk! They only charged me for what I had originally ordered.

mumofmadboys Mon 21-Jan-19 17:22:55

Sainsburys deliver to me fortnightly. Lovely drivers, always on time, accurate orders. Don't ever want to go back to going to the supermarket myself! I love shopping online!

lilihu Mon 21-Jan-19 18:42:04

We use online shopping about once a month. Only ever use Tesco and Sainsburys. Have been using for years. Drivers always very nice. Only had one problem over the years - they sent a bottle of spirits with the security tag still on! After a phone call, they sent someone to remove it!
Cannot fault them in any way really. I’m pretty fussy so usually ask for no substitutes and do without u TIL my next shop.

Charleygirl5 Mon 21-Jan-19 18:43:20

I received one grape once, cannot remember which store.

I have been with Asda Tesco, Ocado, Sainsburys and now Morrisons.

Once with Sainsburys I ordered cat litter tray liners and received a packet of women's panty liners. Not a lot of use.

I parted company with them permanently when I was missing 11 items from one delivery and the excuse was the picker had a nervous breakdown but nobody was allocated to take over her work.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 21-Jan-19 18:44:42

I do an order from Asda every week for my disabled daughter. We do it between us despite her living 52 miles away. She goes online puts her order in, usually daily when she runs out of stuff. Then I go into the account check it and check with her what else she might need and that it is for a week. (she has learning disabilities and finds it hard to think for a week) Then pay for it and its delivered at the same time time, same day each week as I have a slot booked. Find its great when my daughter likes order in her life. Also have milk and bread delivered three days a week because she has a thing about use by dates. Not had any problems yet.

Daisyboots Mon 21-Jan-19 19:23:46

I do a fortnightly online with Iceland for my son even though I live abroad. He is satisfied with it although some fresh food doesnt seem to have a very long date on it. My daughter was doing online shopping with Asda but has found Iceland better value for her family. The other reason I use Iceland is because I can use Paypal. Trying to use a UK debit or credit card with a foreign address just doesn't work with the supermarkets online.

Gonegirl Mon 21-Jan-19 19:46:53

The only criticism of Ocado I have is the fact that they no longer send out a paper receipt with the order. So you have to go online to check everything is there.

elleks Mon 21-Jan-19 19:55:55

I used to use Asda, until they cancelled my entire order one December 22nd. Fair enough, it was snowy and the driver couldn't get out of the depot. But THEY DIDN'T TELL ME UNTIL I RANG THEM! I could still have been waiting for the order on Christmas day! Switched to Sainsbury, and have no problems. If I have a cracked egg they refund me and let me keep the rest of the box.

kwest Mon 21-Jan-19 21:02:23

We take a cottage in Yorkshire every year and my daughter organizes a Sainsbury's delivery to arrive one hour after we do.The drivers are brilliant, they bring the shopping into the kitchen and point out any substitutions. We have only ever had one problem and that was last year. A cooked chicken had use by the next day's date. We were offered a refund but that was of no use to us as the whole idea was that we should not have to go shopping. We resolved the situation by changing the menus we had planned ( the whole family join us for a long weekend) we had the chicken as part of a buffet for lunch the next day. However my daughter says she will stress long use by dates for this year's delivery.

BlueSapphire Mon 21-Jan-19 21:16:38

I use Sainsbury's, cannot fault them, brilliant polite drivers with a smile - I always stipulate no substitutions. Occasionally use Waitrose and Ocado, no complaints either.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 21:25:14

I use Ocado or Waitrose and both are outstanding.
I once somehow omitted to complete my order for the smoked salmon and Prosecco for the bridesmaids’ breakfast the morning of DD3’s wedding only finding out as we were about to leave home. It was in London and we were driving down to stay in boutique hotel (little chance of finding a supermarket en route) Somehow their charming customer services manager found me a delivery slot the next morning to deliver the needful at DD’s flat and this MOB’s reputation was saved.

Jessity Mon 21-Jan-19 22:11:37

Love that story MawBroon. I’ve used Ocado every week for some years and am full of praise. Email and text on delivery day noting any substitutions, drivers always come up to our second floor apartment and will deliver to the kitchen worktop if I want. I’ve had a very occasional cracked egg, reported to them and promptly credited with cost of the entire box. Never had any problem with short use by dates.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 22:14:23

I've used Asda a few times, but was cross at a delivery being cancelled at very short notice.
Not as cross as I am when my arms are dragging along the pavement carrying heavy bags though, so I will probably use them again.

llizzie2 Mon 21-Jan-19 23:02:39

Teetime: I did try Ocado twice. I chose the delivery and the basket minimum was the usual £40. Then I saw the cheaper delivery - about 1.50 I think, it was two or three years ago - and clicked on the cheaper time and immediately the basket minimum rose to over £70 so I did not go there again. I had sainsbury's once, about 8 or 9 years ago. I was not impressed. The eggs flattened in the pan although the date was right so I tested them in a basin of water and they all rose to the top, and I did not like the alternatives - about six replacements for items they did not have.

llizzie2 Mon 21-Jan-19 23:07:35

Ikwest: I do understand that problem. I live alone and have told T many times that I need them to stagger the meal dates. I prefer chilled to frozen. They are a little more expensive. You usually have to buy two or three to get the offer and dates are something that is a real bugbear with online shopping. I do not mind if they spread over several days (and they do say how many days) but when they are all about to expire the next day it is impossible to eat them, so I end up freezing them.

GabriellaG54 Tue 22-Jan-19 01:53:32

I never have or will do online food shopping, preferring to choose food that I have, myself, seen and picked over.
M&S and Waitrose, where I do my main food shops, are places where I like to spend time deciding what to buy and Waitrose will deliver goods at a time of your choosing that you have pre picked, packed and paid for.
IMO, it's a false economy to order online and get lots of substitutions or not quite the freshest fruit. In any case, when shopping, I might see other items that interest me, something you can't do having placed your order online.

llizzie2 Tue 22-Jan-19 04:00:40

riverwalk: I am astonished too. It is the most shocking thing anyone could imagine happening. It was so obvious and the bread was not very nice at all. I wanted to refuse it again but I did get some refund on the frozen.

llizzie2 Tue 22-Jan-19 04:04:29

Gabrielle: I wish I could do that too but alas I cannot shop personally. The pavements are too narrow for my powered wheelchair and no disability access in the old shops. That was what made them sending me the unsliced bread for the umpteenth time. I have told them over again that I cannot access the shops. Last year one time I asked for bird seed and despite the fact that they had lots of different bird seed they sent me two big bags of peanuts!! The driver said it was what the computer said for sub!! It reminds me of the comedy programme Little Britain, when they had sketches about 'computer says'.

justwokeup Tue 22-Jan-19 08:45:37

Yes Llizzie I've refused a whole Waitrose delivery although it never got here! According to the delivery manager - I had to phone them - they had tried to deliver it at another Mrs justwokeup's house, even though an assistant had just told me it was still in cool storage at the shop. We reorganised delivery for the following day and again it didn't arrive. By this time I suspected some of the fresh food and frozen would be less than fresh so I told them not to bother. Back to Ocado, always lovely drivers, and excellent notice of food substitutions. And you can ask for a paper copy of the receipt if you want one.

BradfordLass72 Tue 22-Jan-19 08:49:05

Gosh llizzie2 what a horrible thing and good for you sending it back! I hope you find a good service after that experience.

How lucky you all are to have choices. There's only one supermarket here who has an online service but I never have anything delivered, the fee is far too high but Click & Collect is free if the order is over $50 which is about my weekly food budget.

When they first started, there were numerous mistakes but in the last year they've got their act together and now they know me in-store and greet me cheerily, or write notes on my receipt and always find me excellent bargains if subs are required.

Last month I ordered a leg of lamb as all the family were coming to dinner.
Online it was $27 but when I picked up the order I found my personal shopper, bless her heart, had substituted a much bigger one at the whopping price of $46.70!
I looked at my receipt in fear and trembling but it was still only $27. We feasted royally that night.

MaggieMay69 Tue 22-Jan-19 09:02:30

I love ordering from Tesco, as I always get everything I want, plus usually someone elses!!

The last time this happened was near Bonfire night, was having the family round, so did a huge shop online to give the kiddies some treats, so, I was expecting a huge order....but it just kept coming!
My entire kitchen was covered in bags and I panicked a little, as I saw doubles of a few things that I knew I had ordered once, and quickly re-checked my account as I was certain they had sent me my order twice!
No, they must have sent me my order PLUS someone elses!
I rang Tesco, I don't mind a few freebies, I'm poor lol, but not someones entire shopping when they must be waiting for it! They told me to hold onto it for now and someone would be by in half an hour......no-one showed up. I rang again, not knowing what to do with umpteen bags of someones grub, and they again told me the driver would be coming back. I waited until half 11, luckily it was cold so stored lots outside in the shed, and rang them the next morning.
'Ahh yes, the driver will be by in half an hour!'

This time I said, if he isn't 'by' by lunchtime, I shall consider the stuff mine (half joking.)
They never showed up!
Kids were very happy!

Beammeupscottie Tue 22-Jan-19 13:22:35

A combination of internet and direct shopping works for me. I have all weighty and bulky stuff delivered, leaving me time to enjoy a wander around shelves for fresh and little bargains.
I have gone bagless with W/Rose who have lovely drivers who will help with unpacking.
I couldn't manage without internet deliveries; my husband despises shopping and all the humping would be on my back without this service.