Gransnet forums

Chat

I keep receiving the Wrong Mail

(18 Posts)
Onestepbeyond Sat 26-Jan-19 17:29:29

I have been receiving mail for a house in the next street with the same house number as mine for years. This has continued over the lifetime of several mail- persons and I am at the end of my tether. Where do I go next, this is the saga;

I used to just take the mail round for them myself and post it in their letter box. Then I started to knock on their door handing their mail over to them saying I am getting post addressed to you.
Then I wrote 'not known at this address' and posted the letters in the Royal mail box. Then I took them round to the main sorting office. Then I wrote to the General Postmaster and included the letters in the envelope. I posted a few this way.

There was a bit of a gap between letters coming to me and I always thought at last they got it right at the Sorting Office but no and today I got 3 letters for the Mr and the Mrs.

What can I do to stop this. As far as I know they are not getting my mail, apart from the opened letter with my cheque in it and they wrote on the envelope 'opened in error' It had my name on it btw- that was about 10 years ago. thistle

Any suggestions polite or otherwise would be grateful

Thanks for reading-

mcem Sat 26-Jan-19 17:52:29

No helpful suggestions I'm afraid but the next street and same house number is easier to understand than the Christmas card delivered to my son.
Wrong name, wrong number, wrong road, wrong country, wrong continent! The only possible link was the town. Perth Australia was the destination so why did it land on DS's mat in Perth Scotland????

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 18:11:56

Wrong stamp?

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 18:22:29

I don't know Onestepbeyond but it happens to us all the time. Similar (not same) address, entirely different postcode!
And correctly addressed mail we have sent going via the north of Scotland to arrive weeks later at the destination which is about 3 miles from us (nowhere near Scotland!).

I sometimes wonder if employees of Royal Mail are all literate.

mcem yours is best though

J52 Sat 26-Jan-19 18:36:37

We live on the cusp of one street name and ours. It’s still the same street, but for historical ( 100years ago) reasons the name changed at our next door neighbours house.
We are opposite the same number house in X street, but we have the same number in Y street. When they numbered the houses they had X street with even numbers opposite Y street even numbers.
Confusing enough for the locals never mind the postie!

mumofmadboys Sat 26-Jan-19 19:01:30

I would mark it 'wrongly delivered' and pop it back in a post box.

cornergran Sat 26-Jan-19 19:38:23

We don’t get the wrong post but we do get at least theee fast food deliveries a week destined for the same house number in a different road. So far we haven’t just said ‘thank you’ and enjoyed the unexpected.

I’m not sure what I’d do onestepbeyond other than send a very stiff letter to the general postmaster again making it plain that this is his/her problem and not yours and saying you wish to use the formal complaint process. The people not getting their mail really should also be complaining. Perhaps suggest this to them?

Treebee Sat 26-Jan-19 19:39:33

There used to be an organisation called Postwatch that dealt with this sort of problem.
Looks like Citizens Advice is now the place to go.

BradfordLass72 Sat 26-Jan-19 20:42:25

A sign on your door adjacent to the post box:

POST-PERSON PLEASE READ.
I am NOT Mr or Mrs Whatsit. They live in the next street. PLEASE do not deliver their mail here".

I got so sick of being called to my door, after dark often, by people selling things, wanting me to change power or ISP companies or asking after the state of my soul that I put up a notice fending them off. I haven't had one unwelcome visitr since.

Blinko Sat 26-Jan-19 20:47:47

I ordered an item online in 2017. It never appeared so I contacted the supplier and received a replacement. This week, the original item turned up, clearly postmarked 2017, in pristine condition, not mucky or squashed at all. Can't imagine where it can have been hiding for the past 18 months. confused

M0nica Sat 26-Jan-19 21:06:05

Talk to CAB, and possibly complain to your MP. Emphasise age, (and infirmity, if this applies). make clear how long this has been going on.

Another though. Contact your local paper/local radio. There are times when plucking the harp of age works to our advantage, even if we do it through gritted teeth.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 27-Jan-19 13:04:35

Frankly, there is d--n all you can do about it.
When we lived at no. 127 in a block of flats that were no. 127, 127a, 127b, 127c, 127d and 127e anything and everything addressed to the first floor landed on our doormat, irrespective of what letter was written after the number or the name of the person the mail was addressed to.

When we complained, the postmaster said the postmen read the floor number, as it isn't their business to keep track of who lives where. I pointed out that the names of all three people living in the flat where on the door and that when sorting post surely they could check the presence or absence of a letter after the number, but no, they couldn't or wouldn't.

I agree Mr. and Mrs. X should complain that they are not getting their post.

Onestepbeyond Sun 27-Jan-19 13:31:19

Thank you all for your responses flowers
It seems we have an outdated postal system in several areas.

@mumofmadboys Yes I have done this several times already. The description above is of many letters at each stage not just the odd one. flowers

@grandtanteJE65 flowersand @cornergranflowers I will not go round to their house since I have had a knock on my door at 8.00am on a Sunday morning, it was a probation officer who insisted this was the house of Mr X and was trying to gain entry to arrest him ! I complained to probation about this at the time-

@M0nica yours is a good suggestion flowers
Also BradfordLass72 very good idea .flowers

Good luck all flowers

Jalima1108 Sun 27-Jan-19 14:55:11

Yes, it's not just the postman delivering wrongly to this house or trying to take me away in an ambulance - but no-one trying to arrest me (yet) grin

Anja Sun 27-Jan-19 15:05:40

This kept happening to me. One was even the wrong town. I kept putting them back in the post box with wrongly delivered written on them.

It happened so often I got fed up and gathered a pile together and handed them back to the postman next day. He was not best pleased that I had written on them in red felt tip ‘Your post was wrongly delivered to (my address) on (date)’

M0nica Sun 27-Jan-19 15:09:37

We shared a similar problem when a block of retirement flats was built about 50 yards from our road and was given the same name: Hillside Road and Hillside Lodge. Quite a number of Hillside Road residents complained to Post Office and Local Council but we were assured that, as they had different post codes, and were on different 'walks', ie different postwo/men. There would be no confusion.

Oh really? No, post was always being delivered to the wrong address. Saying 'We told you so' was no consolation at all.

Onestepbeyond Sat 02-Feb-19 11:19:05

UPDATE- Saga continues-
After receiving 3 more letters for next street same number - I did what @BradfordLass72 flowers suggested by printing out a sign on A4 paper with as big a font size as possible a notice- POST-PERSON PLEASE READ.
I am NOT Mr or Mrs Whatsit. They live in the next street. PLEASE do not deliver their mail here"- and I selotated it inside my door just above my letterbox.
Then I put the 3 newly delivered wrong mail hanging out of my letterbox when I came home from work they had been pushed through! I left them hanging out again the next day before work, they'd been pushed through again, but on those two days I didn't get any other post so presume it must have been a passer-by who'd pushed them through the letterbox.
I threw them down on the floor on my path with the address showing upwards. It snowed- they are still there covered in snow- flowers

Onestepbeyond Sat 02-Feb-19 11:24:26

@BradfordLass72 I would be interested in the unwanted caller notice that you have ...thanks