Gransnet forums

Chat

Thread Deletions

(75 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:20:18

As Barry Humphries says " if you have to explain a joke or satire you might as well give up".
Individual deletions have been getting more frequent as far as I can remember, which is fair enough if even one member feels offended (without malice aforethought). Today a whole thread, (about 10) was given the flick, even though it contained a variety of opinions. Followed up with HQ; told OP was a "mischief maker!"
Cripes! I could be one those without even trying. grin
Now I'm paranoid and afraid to post even on Mick's thread in case my weather reports of brilliant sunshine upset someone. Best to copy that little sparrow! grin

Rufus2 Thu 07-Feb-19 13:31:22

Rufus Keep trying
Buffy; and any one. Can you please send me a priv. message? It's a test on behalf of HQ as to why my pm system isn't working. "Hi Rufus" would be fine. Thanks.

Rufus2 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:10:29

Keep trying Rufus
Buffy; No! It's been hacked! Bounced the prob. off GNHQ, but they have no idea, which surprises me as it must be their software and I've no magic wand.
They did say for me to email my future comments about "deletions" to HQ, which I take to mean "censor it before it appears on a thread". I may be wrong, but that's how it appears and I'm all for free speech!
What I've been trying to say via PM is that I've come to the conclusion that, to coin another phrase, "I have better fish to fry," with 'humour' sprinkled on as a bonus! It's been an interesting ride at times with some very nice Netters and even been happy to act as a punch-bag for the several misandrists if it helped them in any way. I've found it all so amusing! grin
Wow! Hang about! shockThere's an almighty fight flaring up about "hubbies" (who else?) disrupting bed-sheet rituals on another thread, so must watch; I still love a good fight!
OoRoo

Rufus2 Mon 04-Feb-19 08:21:27

Just about to try again. Hang on to your hat!
Let go! It doesn't work! There must be an automatic lock which shuts the system down when it detects certain key words. I'll try normal posting and hope nobody succeeds in getting me deleted. grin

Rufus2 Mon 04-Feb-19 06:36:34

give the PC a kick and see if that helps
I'd like to give someone a kick; that would help me even more! grin
Just about to try again. Hang on to your hat!

Buffybee Sun 03-Feb-19 23:33:43

Keep trying Rufus!
Your others got through fine so give the PC a kick and see if that helps. ?
OoRoo

lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 16:29:20

For now......! grin

MawBroon Sun 03-Feb-19 14:38:11

PM s are precisely that, Rufus - Private Messages - so your secrets, whatever they may be, are safe.

Rufus2 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:30:54

Buffybee; Just a quick word! It's past the witching hour and dinner was too delish. to rush; tuna mornay, courtesy of Aldi!, so until tomorrow!
I need to confirm with HQ whether or not they can monitor/delete messages in "private messages" OoRoo

Rufus2 Sun 03-Feb-19 11:08:02

Buffybee; Thank you for your PM. Much appreciated! I've just composed a reply, but it wouldn't "Send" and then disappeared. I was once assured by HQ that PM was indeed "Private" so I have to assume that my system is at fault, but I've learnt to keep copies of such correspondence to guard against these problems, so will try again later after dinner. OoRoo

Gonegirl Sat 02-Feb-19 12:09:35

If you really do like 'nod nod, wink wink' kind of humour, why not start a separate thread for it, rather doing it on the back of someone else's post which may or may not be genuine?

Anniebach Sat 02-Feb-19 12:03:14

I agree Gonegirl

Gonegirl Sat 02-Feb-19 11:59:53

Seems a load of childish crap rubbish to me Ab.

Gonegirl Sat 02-Feb-19 11:58:58

You can't 100% spot a mischief maker. That is the whole point! hmm

Anniebach Sat 02-Feb-19 11:57:49

I can’t , it seems there is a competition to have threads deleted

Gonegirl Sat 02-Feb-19 11:57:33

"clever adults only comedy show"?! grin

Err, wouldn't that need something actually funny?

Gonegirl Sat 02-Feb-19 11:55:06

Can anyone actually understand any of this? confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 02-Feb-19 11:54:15

Rufus2

to nick a phrase from further up, 'mischief making' it sometimes makes sense to pull it
Cari: Begging your pardon, No!, it doesn't make any sense to me! For anyone with a sense of humour, the thread held promise of being fertile ground for a clever adults-only comedy show. grin To coin a phrase from somewhere else, I wasn't born yesterday, (if onlysad) and not needing to be chaperoned. The OP would have died of embarrassment "eventually", as Manuel would say. And how do you spot a "mischief maker" anyway? confused

Sometimes threads are started with the intention of winding people up or taking people in. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, we take a dim view. If you have any queries about specific posts or threads do email us rather than speculating about them on the forums

trisher Sat 02-Feb-19 11:37:27

Jalima1108 I am prepared! A tin helmet is always advisable when posting on GN. Just hope there aren't any googlies!

Anniebach Sat 02-Feb-19 11:34:57

It seems to be a competition Maw, if anyone gets hurts tough on them .

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:33:43

shock
ball tampering, OZ cricket and even ones from Oz referring to wine
Wait for the cricket balls landing on your head trisher

shock

Rufus2 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:33:24

posts seem unbelievable
Buffy; Do you mean the OP and his/her posting or the reply posts? confused
Now! did you follow up on that Gorton Monastery URL ? You never said! wink

MawBroon Sat 02-Feb-19 11:30:01

confused !

trisher Sat 02-Feb-19 11:29:41

Oh I've heard a lot about OZ cricket and ball tampering Rufus2, so I think the tactics allowable are fairly wide. Unfortunately I am quite able to get things deleted without even thinking about it, I've got a big mouth and I'm inclined to call a spade a bloody shovel!
Prosecco will do for the cup thanks (or actually any other decent wine (even ones from OZ!)
Please don't mention sun again not while we have snow! envy

MawBroon Sat 02-Feb-19 11:29:17

Is this a thread about a thread? It seems to be going nowhere.
How often one has either caused a deletion by reporting or been deleted oneself seems very unimportant [confusion]

Rufus2 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:25:11

Glenda Jackson meets Maggie Smith. With a bit of Alan Bennett on the side

Can anyone join?