Gransnet forums

Chat

Things your mother said!

(198 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Fri 01-Feb-19 10:15:35

On the back of the snow thread and I said my mum always said ‘it’s too cold to snow’

Other gems were ‘pride must be pinched’ as she vigorously brushed my hair.

‘Keep your hand off your holiday money’ no idea what that meant but think slightly rude.

Colds could obviously be caught by going out in a jacket and heels rather than a coat and flats grin

‘Feed a cold starve a fever’

‘Sit with your back to the fire and you will be sick’

What did your mum say?

sodapop Sun 10-Feb-19 17:47:19

Regarding the hanky spit, I remember telling my 36year old daughter she had a mark on her face, she said then " please don't spit on your hanky and rub it off Mother " old habits.

KatyK Sun 10-Feb-19 17:39:16

My brother in law often says 'don't just sit there like a tit in a trance' !

Parsley3 Sun 10-Feb-19 17:04:40

My FIL used to say that if someone was being a bit vague they needed “ a pull through with a bunch of fish hooks”.
Ouch!!!

KatyK Sun 10-Feb-19 16:33:46

'She's all kippers and curtains that one's and
'Every hair on your head owes me a shilling' confused

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Feb-19 16:01:38

Or “red shoes, no knickers”, as a colleague once yelled down a corridor at me at work. We’re still friends. smile

Tweedle24 Sun 10-Feb-19 14:31:21

I had not heard ‘fur coat and no knickers’ but, have heard ‘fur coat and ragged knickers’ and ‘red hat and no knickers’.

gulligranny Fri 08-Feb-19 16:24:14

My mum also used to say "and the band played believe it if you like". If asked something she didn't know the answer to, she would say "God knows, and He won't split under a pound". Her wise cookery advice was "If it's brown it's done, if it's black it's b*g*red up", which I still say to this day.

52bright Wed 06-Feb-19 21:41:39

Just remembered another one. My MIL, now 93 still says 'and the band played believe it if you like' if she doesn't believe something or thinks someone's exaggerating or trying to 'pull the wool over her eyes'.

She's the only person I've ever heard say that one. Her youth years were during the 2nd ww when she danced to bands at the local hop.

Mycatisahacker Wed 06-Feb-19 16:23:07

Oh the hanky spit! My mom used to spit into her mascara block too!

I think we are rather more fussy now grin

Mycatisahacker Wed 06-Feb-19 16:01:36

What’s for dinner mom?

Dolls eyes and watercress!

Baffling grin

allsortsofbags Tue 05-Feb-19 20:45:02

Oh goodness, the spit on the hanky.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Feb-19 20:06:44

Oh god MooMoo I forgot the spit on a hanky .... ?

MooM00 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:37:22

My Mother used to say do you think I have just fell off a number 10 bus when I was telling her a porky. This post also reminded me of the spit on her hanky to wipe my face when I was little. YUK

moggie57 Mon 04-Feb-19 21:21:02

don't come running to me when you fall over and break a leg(roller skating)

gillybob Mon 04-Feb-19 13:55:20

Hearing my grandma singing, my grandad would say "your grandma sounds like a cow farting through a small tooth comb"

When we were a little bit cheeky.... my grandma used to say "if I come over there......I'll be beside yer" confused

DoraMarr Mon 04-Feb-19 13:50:19

My late mother in law was from Fife and used a lot of Scots terms. I liked “peely-wally”, which means “ feeling a bit poorly and making a bit of a fuss about it” from what I could gather. She also used to say, if I was dithering about buying something “Och, away, it’ll no eat anything,” meaning it won’t cost you anything once you’ve bought it. Pleasures were to be savoured because “ye’ll be a long time deed (dead)” RIP Annie.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 12:35:55

I suppose if your friends told you to jump off a cliff you would!

PageTurner Mon 04-Feb-19 12:29:04

"You look like something the cat dragged in" if my hair wasn't combed.

DoraMarr Mon 04-Feb-19 10:33:29

Oh, my grandmother used to say “enough blue to make a sailor a pair of bellbottoms.”

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 09:52:37

smile

GrandmaPam Mon 04-Feb-19 09:50:31

I thought of another gem...when unsure as to how the weather would be; "There's enough blue in the sky to make an elephant a pair of trousers"
I still use it to this day, always makes me smile...

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 09:37:12

A short skirt was a 'fanny pelmet'.

Marmight Mon 04-Feb-19 09:34:43

This is a great thread. Loving it..
My Mum used to say 'Waste not want not clearly means buy a Ford' . I never new what it meant but think it was an advert for Ford Motors back in the day! confused
'You're not going out wearing that pelmet are you?'
If I asked what was for pudding I was told 'wait & see'. My children also had wait&see pudding.
'Marmight, Marmight strong & able, get your elbows off the table,
this is not a horse's stable,
this is Mummy's dining table'

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 08:51:45

My Nan would say about a slim man "That ain't a 'uman bean, its a 'uman pullthrough!"

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Feb-19 07:04:32

One thing which amused me when I first came out to New Zealand was how, when a phone rang, people would pick up and say, 'Is that you?'

I don't think anyone says that now, what a shame.