Gransnet forums

Chat

Cremation or burial?

(134 Posts)
absent Tue 12-Feb-19 05:01:10

I have just written a new will, as the last one was massively out of date, that includes my wishes for disposal of my body. I am not sure if my wishes are legally binding in New Zealand, but I know they are binding for absentdaughter who is also my Executor. It made me wonder about other Gransnetters' choices because most of us have fewer years ahead than we have behind us.

I would guess that some don't care one way or the other. I know some have posted here and elsewhere about donating organs for the just living/nearly dying or their entire bodies for medical research. I respect their choices but I reckon my organs have been so terribly abused during my lifetime they are not much use to anyone, but absentdaughter has full permission for them to be taken if any of them are any good.

My family has always had burials and, somehow, the earth-to-earth thing seems right and natural to me. I did suggest that I could be buried upright – given the machinery available to dig deep holes nowadays – to use less space, but I doubt if that is likely to happen. Anyway, we do still have quite a lot of space here. I have specified a green "coffin" – cardboard would be best, but I don't think they are legal in New Zealand at the moment. (I am not planning to die at the moment either, so I can wait.)

I understand that cremations are probably better in a crowded world but they have always seemed a little dismissive to me, even when ashes are scattered somewhere nearby the surviving family. I feel that there is something important in a memorial place, especially as my descendants don't live where most of their ancestors are buried and might one day want to visit a family grave.

Ankorumf Fri 07-Jul-23 20:32:07

Ankorumf

It's interesting to read about everyone's preferences for cremation or burial. Personally, I lean more towards burial.

Personally, I lean more towards burial. I came across your thread while I was looking for some info about funerals and death. Dealing with death in my family recently has made me reflect on these matters. By the way, have you heard about butterfly blue granite rileygardnermemorial.com/product/butterfly-blue/? It's this incredible material that can add a personal touch to a loved one's final resting place. I think it's a unique and meaningful way to create a memorial space that future generations can visit and connect with their ancestors.

sodapop Tue 04-Jul-23 20:36:34

Sorry Blondiescot I missed that.

Blondiescot Tue 04-Jul-23 17:04:18

sodapop

I've just been reading about Aquamation where the body is dissolved in water. Apparently the Co-op are introducing it later this year. Its meant to be more ecologically sound.

I provided a link to the BBC story about this in an earlier post on this thread.

Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 16:54:27

I was reading recently that even if you specify in your Will how you wish your body to be disposed of there is no legal requirement on the part of the Executor to do so.

My husband wants cremation with no mourners, no service etc and the ashes scattered in our horses field and I want cremation with my ashes buried with my parents in my childhood village.

My friend is a volunteer for RNLI and every few months they do a service at sea and scatter ashes for people. Her husband died recently so she is having that.

sodapop Tue 04-Jul-23 16:50:10

I've just been reading about Aquamation where the body is dissolved in water. Apparently the Co-op are introducing it later this year. Its meant to be more ecologically sound.

Shinamae Tue 04-Jul-23 16:45:15

If money were no object, and it was allowed, I would love to have a Viking funeral, I am sure there would be plenty of people willing to fire flaming arrows into the longship! 😁😂

NanaDana Tue 04-Jul-23 15:11:14

I've favoured a cremation for years, as it somehow seems more final, if that makes sense, and perhaps makes it a little easier for those left behind to move on. However, I've recently been giving some thought to a woodland burial here in beautiful rural Northumberland. There's a site we drive past on our regular trips to bonny Berwick upon Tweed, which offers a wildflower meadow in a deciduous woodland glade. Not that I'll know much about it, but my family might like the idea, as we've always been very "outdoorsy". Must discuss it with them.

Blondiescot Tue 04-Jul-23 14:45:25

Oldbat1

Donating your body to medical science isnt always possible - paperwork all needs to be in order for it to be actioned when the time comes and some causes of death means body cant be accepted. I know one family who were successful and one who wasnt.

That is absolutely correct. My mother wanted to donate her body, but at the time, our local teaching hospital had their full quota of bodies and couldn't accept it. So if this is what you would like, you need to have a 'Plan B' in place, just in case the body isn't accepted for whatever reason.

Shinamae Tue 04-Jul-23 14:43:14

Burn and return for me, all paid for..🤓

bikergran Tue 04-Jul-23 14:37:48

Right at this moment as I read this thread I am trying to sort out a headstone for my mum's mum/dad/grandma.

My mum left an amount of money and the week before she died she said I know what I would like to do with that money. That was for her parents/grandparent to have a "proper" headstone in the churchyard. They never had one only a home made one which was fine, but had rotted or been taken away.

But to be honest we are prob talking around £2,000 just for a basic black headstone and lettering and then the other bits and pieces.

It may sound bad but I feel the money could have gone to something maybe a bit more natural like planting lots of trees or donating some towards things.

But because it was my mum's almost final wishes I have and want to carry them out, I am not intending to spend the whole lot as I want to do a bit of something else with what's left, maybe a bench or something that people may use for a long time.

So yes writing down and letting people know before hand is good.

Oldbat1 Tue 04-Jul-23 14:01:14

Donating your body to medical science isnt always possible - paperwork all needs to be in order for it to be actioned when the time comes and some causes of death means body cant be accepted. I know one family who were successful and one who wasnt.

Blondiescot Tue 04-Jul-23 13:58:51

MerylStreep

Blondiescot

What about this? Anyone interested? Personally I think it's a great idea - any new alternatives to conventional cremation or burial are surely to be welcomed.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66081058

In some quarters it’s being referred to as boil in the bag cremation 😱

Newspapers love a snappy headline!

nexus63 Tue 04-Jul-23 13:51:46

cremated, no service and scatter my ashes anywhere, my son is okay with this and as he is my only child i want to make it as easy as possible for him.

MerylStreep Tue 04-Jul-23 13:51:38

Blondiescot

What about this? Anyone interested? Personally I think it's a great idea - any new alternatives to conventional cremation or burial are surely to be welcomed.

In some quarters it’s being referred to as boil in the bag cremation 😱

Blondiescot Tue 04-Jul-23 13:46:05

rockgran Tue 04-Jul-23 13:42:52

My plan is to live forever - gong well so far!

Ankorumf Tue 04-Jul-23 12:56:54

It's interesting to read about everyone's preferences for cremation or burial. Personally, I lean more towards burial.

choughdancer Thu 13-Apr-23 23:34:41

Fleurpepper

What do you mean by 'huge', out of interest.

Sorry, can't remember; I enquired a few years ago and just immediately knew that it was out of my price range! I'll try and find out and post it tomorrow.

Fleurpepper Thu 13-Apr-23 18:55:13

What do you mean by 'huge', out of interest.

choughdancer Thu 13-Apr-23 16:48:47

Cremation is really NOT ecological at all

This is what worries me. Yet burial is hugely expensive and I don't want my children to have to spend shedloads of money on laying me to rest. Is it better to have a non ecological cheap cremation and leave the money burial would have cost to my children (perhaps with a charity people can donate to), or to be buried in a natural burial ground and return the body slowly to the earth as most animals do? There is a beautiful place nearby where such burials are done, but when I found out the cost it was huge.

Fleurpepper Thu 13-Apr-23 14:46:25

That is good to know, because not many long ago, we have had friends who had to wait months- which is unbearable to my mind.

Kim19 Thu 13-Apr-23 14:39:49

Sorry,F, only just seen this now. Timespan a week max I'm told by the local crem.

Fleurpepper Tue 04-Apr-23 11:40:48

Kim19

Speedy private cremation for me. All sorted with sons.

When you say 'speedy' what do you mean? What is the average waiting time these days?

MerylStreep Tue 04-Apr-23 11:22:06

My body is down for donation. That’s if it’s still in good enough nick for them to want it.
When speaking to the organisation I asked if I was too old, 70 at the time, they told me they had received a body of someone who was 106 😄

Hetty58 Tue 04-Apr-23 11:21:29

I have already paid for my (unattended) cremation and the ashes will be delivered to my eldest daughter. Like M0nica, I think the idea of being 'recycled' into the ground is appealing, still I'll settle on having my ashes scattered in woodland - anywhere will do - some extra minerals for the trees!