Gransnet forums

Chat

WHAT??!!

(32 Posts)
phoenix Wed 13-Feb-19 21:38:51

Hello all, good wishes to you.

Listening to Radio 4, as I always do, and there was a feature that was partly about people buying things on line on impulse.

The person that made me go shock was a young sounding woman, who said that she had bought a chopping board, no problem with that I thought, until she said "And I don't cook!"

Pretty sure I could hear a baby or small child in the background, made me wonder on to counts, firstly, what on earth do they eat, and secondly, surely every kitchen needs a chopping board at some point?

PECS Sat 16-Feb-19 08:50:08

2 Ikea plastic chopping boards, 2 wooden and 1 glass..scattered in different places for different uses! Plastic for meat, wood for bread & veg, glass by cooker and usually has herbs / spices on it to add to cooking!

Re OP..even if you don't cook you need a board to slice bread confused

dragonfly46 Fri 15-Feb-19 08:26:52

I regard the chopping board as an essential piece of kit - wish I could persuade DH to use it hmm

NotAGran55 Fri 15-Feb-19 08:16:59

My MIL won’t use one as she thinks they are germ ridden - she chops things on a plate .

I have a selection of wooden an plastic ones .

Jane10 Fri 15-Feb-19 06:59:32

All eggs are chooky eggs. ie eggs laid by chooks!

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 00:24:16

boiled eggs = chooky eggs
smile

grannyactivist Thu 14-Feb-19 23:26:04

I cook a lot and have colour coded plastic chopping boards for meat, fish, nuts, veg. etc., boards for cheese, wooden bread boards - and everyone who uses my kitchen knows it's a hanging offense not to use a board or to use the wrong one!

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:37:34

I agree Monica fresh food is best.

annep1 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:35:39

Surely you need one for cutting bread at least. I have a Joseph chopping board which collects the crumbs. Its so handy.
And 2 wooden and a glass and a plastic. I use them all but I'm not a great cook. Just for vegetables, trimming meat.....

callgirl1 Thu 14-Feb-19 17:25:28

Nina, until 18 months ago my worktops were never anything special, so yes, I chopped and sliced on them, but definitely not on my lovely new worktops, hence I bought a chopping board.

Jane10 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:54:15

Poached and boiled eggs. Only high quality stuff from M&S. Lots of fresh veg and fruit. I'm not daft just not interested in cooking.

Nonnie Thu 14-Feb-19 16:43:21

I heard it too and there was a lot more as well. One of them said she was doing online shopping while breastfeeding to keep awake. I thought that was quite sad, I used to just gaze at mine when they were feeding and enjoyed them, didn't need a distraction.

Actually I was surprised that they would all confess to their stupidity in public. It was almost like a badge of honour.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:29:26

I don't even have a pan.
Poached eggs? Scrambled eggs? or do you just eat chooky eggs?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:27:58

Jane10 Love it!!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:26:44

use them, not used them!!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:26:27

Glass chopping boards ( does that make sense ) are not good for your knives so my chef husband tells me.
I was going to say the same
I used them to put hot dishes on but not as chopping boards, they blunt the knives.

I've got a collection of chopping boards, some wooden, some bamboo.
Absolutely no plastic ones though.

M0nica Thu 14-Feb-19 15:47:14

After reading the following link www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/14/cancer-warning-processed-foods-make-half-uk-diet/ and there are many others on the Sorbonne report that shows that the more processed your food the worse for your health. I will continue to devote time to cooking from scratch.

The most important thing in my life, particularly as I grow older is keeping healthy and well so that I can enjoy my life, and if that requires half an hour or so a day devoted to preparing food that is enjoyable, nutritious and good for my health, then I am going to find that time.

Kateykrunch Thu 14-Feb-19 14:19:52

I dont have a chopping board, I use a plate if I need to chop, I find it much easier as it just gets shoved in the dishwasher.

Jane10 - I like your style, I thought I was the Queen on pierce and ping, but you are a league above me. I will be trying to emulate you, just off to take my pans to the charity shop lol.

Jane10 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:51:47

Hand up. I don't have a chopping board. I don't cook. I don't even have a pan. Somehow life goes on. We never have takeaways. M&S takes care of all our requirements. It's good quality, well balanced and calorie and fat content controlled. Oven and microwave to heat things. Soup maker, egg boiler and toaster. All in all we have tasty healthy food. This is obviously at a price but it's one I'm happy to pay. I have other things to do and other places to be than the kitchen.
I'm just saying this to highlight that not everyone likes cooking.

KatyK Thu 14-Feb-19 09:45:55

There was a young woman on a TV programme last week (one of those 'ask a doctor' ones). She was 35 and 24 stone. She was asking for help re her weight. She seemed like a lovely woman - she had had 4 surrogate babies to help other women. When questioned by the doc, she admitted she rarely cooked and had takeaways at least 4 times a week.

ninathenana Thu 14-Feb-19 08:53:24

callgirl may I ask how you managed that long without one ? Did you cut/chop on your worktop ?
I have a 2" thick wooden one for chopping and a plastic one for slicing bread.
Shock horror, I used the same wooded one for meat and veg. Obviously I wash it in between but we've survived ok for the past 44 yrs.

M0nica Thu 14-Feb-19 08:50:48

3 wooden chopping boards, that I replace when they look manky. Plus a large round pottery breadboard, used mainly as a pan rest, but used to chop minor items like springonions when I am too lazy to pick up a chopping board.

Auntieflo Thu 14-Feb-19 08:40:56

Sodapop. You beat me to it. I use a couple of glass ones as pan rests next to the cooker. My wooden bread/chopping board, I have had since we were married, 57 years ago, and it’s still going strong

sodapop Thu 14-Feb-19 08:26:52

Glass chopping boards ( does that make sense ) are not good for your knives so my chef husband tells me.

annsixty Thu 14-Feb-19 07:19:48

I got two very good solid chopping boards from Aldi several years ago, still excellent, scrub up well.
I have an old one, still in use, that was part of a set of kitchen paraphernalia given as a wedding present 60 years ago.

BlueBelle Thu 14-Feb-19 06:59:37

Perhaps when she said ‘I don’t cook’ she meant she wasn’t much of a cook, doing recipes etc I don’t class myself as much of a cook but I mostly do things like jacket potatoes a variety of stir fries, quick currys or vegi soups but call ‘cooking’ people who bake lots of cakes bread and make roasts and recipe meals
I ve got a glass board which I hate beenlooking in the charity shop for ages for a wooden one but guess no one lets them go ?