Gransnet forums

Chat

Citizenship

(21 Posts)
PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 09:22:27

Now we have a clear precedent for revoking British citizenship for someone who has clearly not upheld the values of British Society does this open the door to getting shot of all those tax avoiders who have homes in tax havens to avoid paying HMRC their fair share? That's not cricket!

Poppyred Wed 20-Feb-19 09:24:37

Tax avoiders and people who pose a real threat to lives - hardly the same thing!!

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Feb-19 10:00:11

Tax avoiders are causing threats to people's lives who cannot be treated in the NHS due to lack of funds.

Anniebach Wed 20-Feb-19 10:05:54

The clear precedent seems to be if a person has duel citizenship and could be a threat to the safety of British citizens they can be refused entry back into the U.K.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-Feb-19 10:05:55

Actually tightening up and enforcing the tax laws is better in my opinion.

Unfortunately these “tax dodgers” employ a lot of people in the UK, are you happy for them to lose their jobs?

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 10:24:22

Not happy for any jobs in the UK to be lost. We are in deep shit as it is due to recent announcements.
But people who use tax havens often do have dual nationality. Deliberatly using loopholes, as e.g. Mr May's company is reported to do, is immoral and damaging to UK tax income. Income that may pay foer bettwr weapins for our armed services, educaton, health.

There is no evidence , yet, that Begum has done anything illegal other than to support a dreadful regime. which is immoral in my book but she has not been proven to have caused physical harm to anyone. Neither have tax avoiders..so similar!

Anniebach Wed 20-Feb-19 10:27:40

PECS not the same, justifying killing British citizens and beheading is not equal to tax dodging

EllanVannin Wed 20-Feb-19 11:26:33

Tax dodgers are usually hiding ill-gotten gains anyway so are criminals in my eyes. Drug lords/barons, money laundering killing innocent children because of their greed and devil-may-care attitude towards those whose lives ended through drug-taking.
Anyone who isn't open and honest in their lives particularly about their earnings deprives those who have to suffer the knock-on effects of increased prices in order to recoup the shortfalls caused by these tax-dodgers.

Anyone who accrues so much tax is not usually doing an honest job !!

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 11:28:41

EV..Pigs are flying...we agree! ?????

EllanVannin Wed 20-Feb-19 11:52:30

Well PECS I'd have thought any " fool " would have had the same view. smile Except those who are fiddling their tax,that is.

RosieLeah Wed 20-Feb-19 13:59:05

Miss Begum and her ilk obviously thought the softie British government would give her a pat on the head and allow her to pick up where she left off. British citizenship should be regarded as a privilege, not a right. She forfeited hers when she left this country and joined the black-hearted terrorists who are the enemy of the west. She is an enemy of the state. Equating her with tax-dodgers is absolute nonsense.

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 14:25:58

A 'fool and their money are soon parted' ... not sure what that says about those of us who happily honestly pay our taxes!

Amazon and other big companies, often using the gig economy, have a poor UK tax record by finding and using all legal loopholes to avoid paying tax. They are sticking 2 fingers up at UK. Can't believe people are not angry about that!

To those who seem to be excusing tax avoiders because they are not as bad a ISL etc. have missed the point! Begum has been told she is not welcome to return to her country because she has betrayed its values.

Well I am saying that selling £6bn worth of arms to countries using them to blast Yememis is betraying British values and is contributing significantly to the death of innocent civilians. No idea if these companies are paying appropriate tax but not sure I feel comfortable about it. It is just as bad as Jihadi brides supporting death and violence..even if it is via a different route.

TerriBull Wed 20-Feb-19 15:01:53

Slightly off subject, but I thought the guy, Dutch or Danish historian, who addressed the summit at Davos recently with the point that if the super rich could just pay their fair share of tax maybe there would be less need for grandiose grandstanding/acts of philanthropy or words to that effect. Irish rock star sprang to mind. I think he also meant corporations as well, needless to say there were plenty who didn't agree with him.

TerriBull Wed 20-Feb-19 15:06:39

meant to add thought he made some glaringly obvious but very salient points.

B9exchange Wed 20-Feb-19 15:12:32

Anyone leaving the UK to join ISIL in Syria can hardly fail to be aware of the risk of not being allowed to return, this was being mooted in 2014?
news.sky.com/story/beheading-of-journalist-is-betrayal-of-britain-10392096

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 15:13:12

Yes Terribull do you mean this guy?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=paaen3b44XY

TerriBull Wed 20-Feb-19 15:22:05

Yes that's him. He also touched on the fact that a record number of private jets were there, the occupants of which were there to attend lectures on climate change. Oh the irony!

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 15:23:53

Absolute irony! I thought he talked a load of sense!

TerriBull Wed 20-Feb-19 15:32:13

Yes I agree it's such a fundamental principle.

M0nica Wed 20-Feb-19 22:31:32

Do not forget for every rich Britain domiciled in Monaco to avoid tax there is a corrupt Russian Oligarch domiciled in Britain and paying taxes.

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:09:25

getting shot of all those tax avoiders
I hope you mean tax evaders,PECS

I don't want to be deported because I'm avoiding tax with my meagre ISA.

No, I think they should be made to pay their dues - close the loopholes in the law asap.