Gransnet forums

Chat

Having a shower

(181 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Feb-19 09:50:44

Am I the only person who hates showering?

I am very short-sighted and with glasses off and hearing aids out I feel quite disoriented. I lose the soap/ struggle to wash my feet at all/have yards of hair that needs drying........

And in strange showers on holiday it is even worse.

Cannot get in and out of bath - painful hip replacement.

I just grit my teeth and get on with it.

Day6 Thu 28-Feb-19 03:08:56

The bathroom refitted...

Day6 Thu 28-Feb-19 03:07:30

I fully agree with your post above Grandma2213. I love a nice bath and can still get in and out. I feel completely clean after a soak but not so relaxed after a shower. I do shower for quickness most mornings.

I have very dry skin so some mornings I'll have a thorough wash at the sink if I don't have plans for the day.

I can't wash my hair every day either as it's so dry, despite lots of conditioning treatments.

We had a Jacuzzi bath installed when we reported the bathroom but it means I can't add oils or bubbles to my bath. It's very relaxing, especially when it pummels my ankles and feet, but the motor is so noisy that I can't have it on for long. I get out feeling so thoroughly clean and rejuvenated afterwards though.

Grandma2213 Thu 28-Feb-19 02:03:30

Luckily I can still get into the bath as I have an over bath shower too. I love a soak in the bath after which I feel really clean as the water seems to go deep into my pores! I don't use much water, or soap as I'm never that dirty, though a splash of radox type liquid seems to help so there is never any scum left. I use a jug afterwards to rinse off hair or skin with only a few pints of clean water.

Showers on the other hand just seem to run off my skin without cleaning it. I usually take the head down to get to my 'bits' but I also seem to use twice as much soap or shower gel to achieve the same clean feeling as a bath. On a couple of occasions I have left the plug in and I actually used more than twice as much water to feel properly washed! Strange showers are even trickier when you have to take off your glasses. Getting the temperature/pressure right etc is a nightmare.

Still each to his/her own I suppose.

Nanah67 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:38:03

We have replaced our bath with rain forest shower and wet room. It also has a seat installed for use in later years. Far better than the bath which we struggled to get in and out of.
We both use it daily and use far less water and electricity as it’s connected to the mains..it did not cost a lot but it is much safer.

watermeadow Wed 27-Feb-19 21:05:23

I’ve had few showers in my life as always had baths. I’m now, in my old age, planning on having a shower room made next to my bedroom.
I shall miss my comforting hot baths and will have to get used to showers as my downstairs bathroom will be turned into a utility room plus loo and sink.
It will all be worth the upheaval to go a few steps to the loo in the middle of the night instead of downstairs, after which I return to bed wide awake and unable to go back to sleep.
Can’t wait!

MaudLillian Tue 26-Feb-19 09:15:04

I like showers when I'm on holiday - but I wouldn't if I had the problems you have!

However, at home, I merely strip wash, which was good enough for my grandmothers and the generations before them, and works very well for me and also saves water.

So far my feet aren't a problem. I can still bend down to them. I'd probably sit with them in a bowl of soapy water if I couldn't reach down to wash them.

gmelon Sat 23-Feb-19 13:02:30

Thank you for the link about the bidet.
Is there now a stigma attached to showering less than daily?

Alexa Sat 23-Feb-19 12:00:24

Gmelon, I too sometimes wonder about that. In my childhood |(1930s)I had a bath once a week. At boarding school twice a week but one bath there was so large two or three of us could get in it at one time. As fever nurse (1940s) bath or strip wash once a day. As a married woman I used underarm deodorants, now not considered to be healthy. I guess I am too fussy now about normal human smells.

Alexa Sat 23-Feb-19 11:52:52

www.amazon.co.uk/G%C3%A9n%C3%A9rique-R00782-Detachable-Toilet-Shapes/dp/B01LZE51P5/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?psc=1&s=gateway&crid=I1ZCY9MG5MWE&keywords=bidet&sprefix=bidet%2Caps%2C153&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1550922642&sr=8-4-spons

'Detachable bidet' £10.45 AmazonUK

Enjoy!

gmelon Sat 23-Feb-19 11:48:53

When did life change from one bath per week to obbsessive showering?

gmelon Sat 23-Feb-19 11:47:42

A plastic bidet? Have you more information please.

Alexa Sat 23-Feb-19 11:06:53

To be hands free in the shower, for soaping the wash clothe and so on, I drape the shower head cable around my shoulders . If I then lean forward a little the warm water covers my shoulders and back and down on to my thighs.

BTW about bidets, In my upstairs bathroom I keep a plastic one that is shaped to fit over the toilet. I fill it from the tap via plastic jug. I do enjoy that clean bottom feeling!

annep1 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:47:12

Takes a bit of practice and a few wet floors Luckygirl ?
Seriously though with a.. erm.. well positioned lower body it does work for a freshen up. But how they manage in school is beyond me.

Actually I'm going way offthread.
I do like showers. I rub my arms and legs to get the circulation going. It really invigorates me. Love baths for the exact opposite.

Luckygirl Sat 23-Feb-19 09:09:41

annepl - I love the jug of water idea - but how, just how, do you make the water fly upwards to reach the target area! grin

aggie Sat 23-Feb-19 07:38:10

I like a shower , I have a wet room as an en suite so handy . I do have grab rails and the shampoo etc is in a cage thing on the wall . I have been known to use wipes when in a rush , but they go in the bin , I can't bring myself to use face clothes on that bit !

annep1 Sat 23-Feb-19 07:31:51

I don't have a bidet but we can do as Muslims do and use a jug of water.

JackyB Fri 22-Feb-19 13:37:07

A couple more notes now I've read a few more contributions:

I put the shampoo on my hair before I get in the shower. We have a dispenser on the wall for the shower gel. So no question of dropping, spilling or using the wrong stuff.

And as for Psycho and the shower scene. I fail to see how anyone could be scared by that. In fact, I never found any of Hitchcock's films clever or scary. I laughed out loud when Tippi Hedren ran into the phone box and pushed a bird-on-a-stick back out.

JackyB Fri 22-Feb-19 13:29:34

My this is a long thread!

Sorry I haven't read it all yet.

I am with the showerers - have showered and washed hair every morning since I was about 18.

To make sure the bath gets the occasional clean, DH and I bath together on Sunday mornings, unless we have visitors. But I have to get in the shower afterwards to wash off the gunge - I put a face- and hairpack on whilst I'm in the bath - it's far too strenuous to rinse all that off with one hand whilst the other one is holding the shower head.

The problem with baths these days is that they have vertical back-ends. The old-fashioned baths with a lovely slope to them are far more comfortable.

merlotgran Fri 22-Feb-19 13:12:24

I love a shower. So quick and easy. I can't see the point in washing 'bits', soaking feet etc., and as for using wipes! shock

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 12:54:07

Fennel that reminds me of the dreaded nappy bucket fermenting away until there were enough to justify a load in the twin tub!

tanith Fri 22-Feb-19 12:40:27

YUK! ?Fennel did anyone think it was a good plan?

MawBroon Fri 22-Feb-19 12:39:08

Maybe taking things too far grin

Fennel Fri 22-Feb-19 12:13:12

I used to belong to a forum called It's Good to be Green.
One of the ideas was to keep all your old rags, cut in squares and use them instead of toilet paper. Keep a bucket of water next to the toilet and after use put the rags in there to soak. Later wash and re-use.

MawBroon Fri 22-Feb-19 12:07:31

Oh GabriellaG ???
Are you unaware of the Sidmouth fatberg?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47134178

Wipes of any sort are the spawn of the devil!

DanniRae Fri 22-Feb-19 11:37:44

If anyone feels unsafe in the shower I have bought one of those handles that use suction to stick to the tiles. As long as you make sure the suction is still firm before you get in I find it very useful.