Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you do this?

(82 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 21-Feb-19 19:05:54

Can you believe we did this? We would go to the cinema - the film had already started, so we'd watch it from the middle to the end, then the news, cartoons etc. Finally the main film came on again. We'd watch it then say, This is where we came in! And then leave.
It seems strange now but it wasn't unusual then, was it?

jennyallsorts Sun 24-Feb-19 15:37:00

Does anyone remeber the News Cinemas in London? You had newsreels, cartoons and advertisements. It was very cheap and good way to spend a rainy afternoon with the boy friend!!

anxiousgran Sat 23-Feb-19 08:45:31

I remember films being on a continuous loop too. Especially remember seeing Zulu and Sever Brides for Seven Brothers from the middle, then the beginning.
I still love those two films as well.
I also still call the cinema the ‘pictures’ or the ‘flicks’.

absent Sat 23-Feb-19 06:03:18

I remember being taken to see the Ten Commandments movie with Charlton Heston, being a most unconvincing Moses, when I was a child. The next day, I told my school friends about it and how there was an interval in the middle. They didn't believe me.

Grandma2213 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:40:57

We hardly ever went to the cinema as we lived out in the country but I can pretty much remember every film on those rare occasions. With my mother I saw Carmen Jones and The Pyjama Game. With Dad it was Reach for the Sky, The Dam Busters, Davy Crockett and a strange film called Captain Jack about an Indian or should I say Native American who for some reason wore a soldier's uniform. Once on holiday we saw Forbidden Planet. After each film we watched, my brothers and I played out the story over and over again for months! I do remember seeing B films but have no memory of them, possibly that's why they were B films!!

Moonbather Sat 23-Feb-19 01:00:14

Like Bradfordlass I often read" Who dun it" first.I like to work out how the crime was costructed.All my friends think I'm very strange. They are probably right.

arosebyanyothername Sat 23-Feb-19 00:40:48

My Aunt swore never again have a shower after watching Psycho!!

arosebyanyothername Sat 23-Feb-19 00:38:31

I used to go to Saturday morning pictures, my mum made me take my sister & brother.
6d downstairs, 9d upstairs.
Singalong before the programme started. Always left with a cliffhanger!
As a teenager I’d go with my friend at the weekend and stay all day watching whatever was showing on the loop ?

callgirl1 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:48:11

Our cinema wouldn`t let anyone in once Psycho had started.

mrsmopp Fri 22-Feb-19 20:24:58

And those cowboy films. The baddies wore a black hat and the goodies wore a white hat.
If only life was as simple as that ?

pollyolly Fri 22-Feb-19 19:47:24

When Flash Gordon was on a conveyer belt leading to a furnace the doors closed behind him. Next week's episode started where he rolled off before he got there!

GannyRowe Fri 22-Feb-19 19:37:27

Yep! Had to do that, or miss the last bus home to the village I lived in!

grannygranby Fri 22-Feb-19 18:53:57

And I remember when Psycho came out you were forbidden to tell the ending...

mokryna Fri 22-Feb-19 16:55:33

When on hols recently we went to a little cinema some miles from Lytham. Cups of tea were bought and taken in. The National Anthem was shown before the film.

Annaram1 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:47:33

My mum and I went to see "The glass slipper" many years ago. When we got to the cinema there was a queue a mile long, right around the block. I said, "Mum, we are not going to get tickets, they will be sold out."
She went right to the front of the queue and pushed in and got the last 2 tickets. She always was an opportunist.

Jane43 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:47:25

Yes I remember doing this regularly and when Elvis started making films we used to watch them through twice.

narrowboatnan Fri 22-Feb-19 16:45:48

Things certainly ain't what they used to be, are they? I went to see 'Bohemian Rhapsody' when it came out back end of last year, cost an arm a leg and a few toes to get in, had to sit through a full half an hour of goodness knows what film previews and adverts before the film came on. Just the one shot at seeing it, when it finished there was no sitting there waiting for it to start again, it was a case of 'Everybody out!' Such a shame.

narrowboatnan Fri 22-Feb-19 16:42:58

Ha ha! I do that as well, BradfordLass With the books, I mean.

Shazmo24 Fri 22-Feb-19 16:18:21

You can get 2for1 cinema tickets for a whole year with using Meerkat movies - Comparethemarket.com??
All you have to do is pay for 1 day travel insurance in the UK and you get it. You may have to pay £6 but the amount you save us far greater

pixie601 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:12:10

Matinee at our local cinema - 6 pence downstairs - 9 pence balcony. Usherette aged about 100 used to keep us quiet by flashing her torch along the row. She also sprayed dusting powder along each row - we thought it was to keep down fleas and nits. I used to 'ride' my brother home - he was 'Trigger' - I was Roy Rodgers!

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 15:06:56

I worked in a cinema while I was still at school ,there were gas mantles to light before we opened and unless you ha dthe right knack they would POP .My GC think I'm ancient when I say I remember gas lighting but it was the mid sixties.I worked mainly in the shop and even did the accounts for it at 14.No employer would get away with that nowadays ,mind you no calculator , it was good arithmetic practice for school.The film changed mid week unless it was a really popular new release,and I wasn't allowedd through the door on the days it was an X certificate .I loved that wee job .

KatyK Fri 22-Feb-19 14:31:38

Thank you PECS smile

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:18:43

So different now Riggie. I bring a bottle of water.
I'd forgotten the queues.
We had heavy curtains across the screen that used to open. Sometimes there was a little information film about how something was manufactured. I loved it.

Riggie Fri 22-Feb-19 14:09:55

annep1 I took my 20yo SN ds to the cinema yesterday and was telling him about one screen, queues, the 2 films and newsreel!! Plus the interval ice cream!!

Compared to our trip yesterday with luxury reclining seats and our smuggled in Haribo (for him) and an apple for me!!

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:02:30

indeed!

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:02:07

I try to time it so that I miss all the prefilm rubbish for which you need earplugs!
We used to have an A and a B film and the Pathe News. good value indeex!