Gransnet forums

Chat

Feet and inches!!!

(106 Posts)
evianers Sun 17-Mar-19 10:47:37

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! We are thinking of relocating back to UK after 44 years of absence. When are the estate agents going to finally enter the 21st century kicking and screaming by actually no longer using such dimensions as, 18 feet, 19 and three quarter inches? Didn't these go out with the Ark?

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 23:17:49

I know that our sitting room was 6" too wide for a 4 metre wide carpet ……..

callgirl1 Mon 18-Mar-19 23:33:47

I still think in feet and inches, pounds and ounces. Prices on the market fruit and veg stalls are for metric weights, but I still ask for a pound of whatever I need, and they still do it without question.

absent Mon 18-Mar-19 23:59:42

Given that we are moving into the last decades of our lives and that at least two younger generations have used the metric system all their lives, it would be deeply unreasonable to expect them to cope with pounds and ounces, pints and quarts, etc.

If there ever turns out to be any sort of trade deal with any European country – and quite a few others – it would be a troublesome and expensive business to work in both imperial and metric measurements.

LullyDully Tue 19-Mar-19 08:11:44

My grandchildren are amazed when Mr LD talks about feet, inches, pounds, ounces or Fahrenheit. They laugh at his idiosyncrasies. At least we no longer talk about ten bob notes. We are stuck with a dual system but they shouldn't be.

sunseeker Tue 19-Mar-19 08:19:58

Most of us of a more mature age were taught in feet and inches so tend to prefer that - we can, and do, use metric. It is easy enough to convert to whichever method you prefer so I really don't see what the problem is.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 19-Mar-19 09:24:20

Sorry but you will just have to get use to a dual system.

25Avalon Tue 19-Mar-19 09:25:04

How tall are you? Most people here even if they are using metric still refer to their height in feet and inches.

Esspee Tue 19-Mar-19 09:32:36

I'm just one month away from being 70. At primary school it was all feet and inches, pounds shillings and pence and pounds and ounces. I couldn't believe how much easier it was in secondary school when everything changed to metric. Surely to goodness people aren't still weighing themselves in pounds and ounces? I know what weather to expect in Deg. C but mention Fahrenheit and I have only the roughest idea.
OP we must be youngsters on this site. Ignore the rude old biddies on here, welcome back. We need young minded grans.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:39:04

I mainly use imperial measurements.
There was a young woman on a weight loss programme on tv a few months ago - the presenter said, "You've lost x number of kilos" and immediately was asked, "What's that in old money?" It's not just we old'uns who can't get their heads round it.

knspol Tue 19-Mar-19 09:43:49

Evianers - if you're thinking of moving to a different country maybe you should try to be more flexible in your approach. Many things will be different to what you're used to but it doesn't mean they are wrong!

grammargran Tue 19-Mar-19 09:45:03

Until we oldies have popped our clogs, what’s wrong with a dual system Esspee? I’m in my 80th year so am heavily Imperial but so long as the metric measurement in question continues to have its imperial equivalent in brackets, I’m happy. I love the idea of being ‘bi-numeral’ as a sort of bi-lingual - I have eight grandchildren who happily use both, so let’s stay our eccentric selves and keep both.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 19-Mar-19 10:01:23

I can see in my mind what a pound of something looks like and its the same with measurements. I know that a litre is about two pints so by asking for 500 ml I know I am asking for a pint. My brain still see everything in imperial measurements and if I ask in metric then my brain converts it. Nothing wrong with this.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-Mar-19 10:01:45

I am a 'dyed in the wool' Brit and see no reason for 'why' mend what isn't broken' just to suit, thankfully and in a minority, those who observe the UK as backward.
The world is large so take your pick and give space to the many and those yet to arrive who from far and wide appreciate us and want to make the UK their home grinwarts and all...

ElaineRI55 Tue 19-Mar-19 10:03:31

In spite of having taught maths and being more than capable of converting between the two systems, I still find it easier to visualise dimensions in feet and inches. Probably the same for most of us who learned the imperial measurements at school - they are embedded in our brains and refuse to be ousted!

GreenGran78 Tue 19-Mar-19 10:11:09

Our local sweet shop was forced to ditch its old scales and buy expensive new metric ones. The customers still ask for ‘a quarter of’....whatever, but are given 100 grams, which is slightly less.

The main drawback with metric, I think, is that it is too easy to make a mistake with the decimal point. It was very amusing in The Apprentice when one team did this. They ended up ordering a flag the size of a handkerchief, by mistake.

It wasn’t funny when a baby died because a nurse accidentally gave it a dose of medicine which was 10 times what it should have been.

quizqueen Tue 19-Mar-19 10:26:06

Why should the UK use the metric system? A lot of the world still uses the imperial measures. Hopefully, the EU will not be in charge of us for much longer and we can do what we like without permission from Brussels.

Although, I can work things out, in my head, in metres and cms as easily as feet and inches, I still struggle envisaging measures with capacity and weight in metric so don't really bother with it and stick to pounds and ounces and pints.

rockgran Tue 19-Mar-19 10:30:07

Patchwork and quilting tend to use imperial measurements as a lot of the equipment and patterns are from the USA and they still use feet and inches. You have to be quite adept at transferring between the fabric in metres and the patterns in inches. I suppose it is a good workout for the brain!

grammargran Tue 19-Mar-19 10:32:08

Quizqueen, the EU have given up trying to convert us to metric - it doesn’t rule us entirely, you know - a common mistake!

Boolya Tue 19-Mar-19 10:44:42

There is a hotel in Birmingham that has a linking bridge. There was a problem when it was being built, it wasn't long enough, as I understand that measurements were in metric and materials in imperial (or vice versa).

Craftycat Tue 19-Mar-19 10:58:31

I still use imperial measurements- no clue what metres & grammes are. Luckily my kitchen scales do both so I can use recipes in metric without understanding them at all.
I would have no clue what my rooms are if not in feet & inches.
Obviously you have had to use metric wherever you have been living but we still use feet & inches here. I was an Estate Agent for a while & I remember the hoo-ha when we started putting both measurements on sales details. Totally confused everyone so we went back to just feet & inches.

Witzend Tue 19-Mar-19 11:09:26

If you've grown up with Imperial, including at school, presumably you're more likely to still think in lbs and ozs, etc., even if you're perfectly able to cope with metric.

If you grew up with metric, esp. at school, you're going to think in metric.
So eventually those of us who think in Imperial will all be 6 feet under - or 1 point X metres - or else turned to ashes at X degrees C.

I can cope with metric, but I still convert in my head e.g. 100g to roughly 4 ounces.
I still can't think in C temps - except for 16C which I instantly know = 61F.

Didn't some US space mission go disastrously wrong because participants were at cross purposes - one using metric and the other Imperial?

VIOLETTE Tue 19-Mar-19 11:13:28

I am in the same position as you (going back to the UK after a number of years) I find some agents will put BOTH measurements on the property details ...if not you can always e mail and ask if you are interested in a property ...or convert the measurements....I have found most agents prepared to answer ALL my questions (and there are a lot !) as of course if they make a sale, they make their commission ...so just ask …….

Margs Tue 19-Mar-19 11:26:37

And why are horses measured in "hands"? What on earth does that measure both length and widthways?

Niucla97 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:29:47

Caused me a problem. I bought new fencing panels which were to fit in existing concrete posts. Two panels had to made as they were an odd size. When the panels were fitted they were 180 cm wide the old panels were 183 cm so my panels have been tied to the post as they blow out in the wind. I am having to buy strips of wood to screw to either side as the strong winds have broken the plastic ties!

123coco Tue 19-Mar-19 11:35:22

I would be horrified along with most Younger people if we went back to imperial money !!! The mistake was not converting everything else at the same time ! And for those of you who think this is a good reason to leave the EU , then this is another reason to despair of Leavers. Lets bring back Colonialism too whilst we’re at it .